Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:23:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb season 10.

Started by Dusty Substance, November 19, 2019, 07:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Yet again Richard Lewis comes out with what I assume is ad-hoc brilliance:

"Don't Perry Mason her"

Johnboy

bit disappointed with episode 5 though I did guffaw at the doll punchline

Puce Moment

I like when Larry is being wronged, rather than what we get sometimes which is his character being out of order and unnecessarily rude/pedantic. So, based on that, I loved episode 4. So much of what happened was unfair to Larry, particularly how Olyphant's character was deliberately fucking him over. I'm delighted this is back, and it's great to track the progress of Jeff's mouth labia.

Malcy

Great episode again. Been a while since we've had quite well known actors not playing themselves I think.

Leon's wedgie line was fantastic.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Malcy on February 18, 2020, 10:18:41 PM
Great episode again. Been a while since we've had quite well known actors not playing themselves I think.

They've been doing that almost every episode this season, haven't they? Timothy Olyphant, Vince Vaughn, Isla Fisher now, then you had Bryan Cranston last season an' all. I don't like it, personally, and the characters/performances have never been good enough to overcome the initial confusion. I remember people complaining in Season 7 when Oscar-nominated Elisabeth Shue was cast as an aspiring actress, but that seems far less incongruous compared to some of the more recent examples. The show's become less media industry-oriented in general, but I can't buy that Curb exists in a world where Breaking Bad or Deadwood never existed, for instance.

Malcy

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 18, 2020, 10:29:51 PM
They've been doing that almost every episode this season, haven't they? Timothy Olyphant, Vince Vaughn, Isla Fisher now, then you had Bryan Cranston last season an' all. I don't like it, personally, and the characters/performances have never been good enough to overcome the initial confusion. I remember people complaining in Season 7 when Oscar-nominated Elisabeth Shue was cast as an aspiring actress, but that seems far less incongruous compared to some of the more recent examples. The show's become less media industry-oriented in general, but I can't buy that Curb exists in a world where Breaking Bad or Deadwood never existed, for instance.

Cant say ive ever seen Olyphant in anything but I knew the name but didn't recognise him. Same with Bryan Cranston. Apart from Seinfeld I've only ever seen him in Curb so people  I don't know that well don't stand out as much.

I had saw the trailer for this week's and thought it was Vince Vaughn but was surprised when he wasn't himself.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Malcy on February 18, 2020, 11:34:00 PM
Cant say ive ever seen Olyphant in anything but I knew the name but didn't recognise him. Same with Bryan Cranston. Apart from Seinfeld I've only ever seen him in Curb so people  I don't know that well don't stand out as much.

Even if you never saw Breaking Bad (or Malcolm In The Middle for that matter), I'd have thought it was practically impossible to avoid seeing Bryan Cranston for a while there. Regardless, the fact that he was also an actor in Seinfeld meant it made even less sense that they'd cast him as ... a therapist, was it?

Neomod

Things must have changed because I remember Jon Favreau saying that he wanted to be in Curb and Larry said that he was too famous to be a character and not famous enough to play himself.

Replies From View

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on February 17, 2020, 03:24:57 AM
Not implausible that there are multiple rich Larry Davids working for HBO in Los Angeles. Would the famous Larry David list his employer as "HBO"?

Or his occupation as it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Johnboy on February 18, 2020, 10:51:59 AM
bit disappointed with episode 5 though I did guffaw at the doll punchline

YOU'LL BONK ANYTHING WON'T YOU LISTER

olliebean

I think I already mentioned I got confused in an earlier episode when I forgot that Richard Kind wasn't playing Richard Kind.

BeardFaceMan

I might have missed it as I was doing something else while watching the episode, but was it ever revealed if your Home And Away lady was actually lying about her mum?

Malcy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 19, 2020, 01:40:14 PM
I might have missed it as I was doing something else while watching the episode, but was it ever revealed if your Home And Away lady was actually lying about her mum?

No. I was expecting her mum to come up the path to the house as Larry was leaving after getting the door slammed in his face. I think the assumption is that she was lying though.

BlodwynPig

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 19, 2020, 10:00:30 PM
Sadly dead now

CHEER UP IT MIGHT NEVER HAPPEN

That's what I bellow at them

BE DEAD BY ALL MEANS BUT THERE'S NO NEED TO BE SO MOROSE ABOUT IT YOU SLACK-FACE

IT USES UP FEWER FACIAL MUSCLES TO BE HAPPY THAN TO BE DEAD YOU MAUDLIN SACK

Leon is really stealing the season so far.

oy vey

Half way through the season, it's above average. I hope the coffee shop plot pays off.

Replies From View

I love that he calls it a spite store.

mojo filters

Quote from: Replies From View on February 22, 2020, 09:20:17 AM
I love that he calls it a spite store.

What really works about that, is how in describing it to others using the term spite store Larry never needs to explain the concept any further, as if it just immediately makes perfect sense to his friends.

Good season so far, though doesn't seem as ambitious or epic as the last one. I thought the professional cryer was the weakest element so far - it was just too easy to anticipate how that plot would progress.

Replies From View

Quote from: mojo filters on February 23, 2020, 04:57:16 AM
What really works about that, is how in describing it to others using the term spite store Larry never needs to explain the concept any further, as if it just immediately makes perfect sense to his friends.

And they are mostly totally on board with it as well.  They're like "ah brilliant work!"

Mango Chimes

I'm not up to date on these yet, but from what I've seen it's much better than the previous season. The spite store does sit slightly on the side of the main problem that season had, though. Larry's not right in doing that, he's not being treated unfairly or misunderstood, he's a millionaire trying to crush a small business for no reason.

Malcy

Thought that was the weakest of the series so far but it still had its moments. Leon's idea for pussy tea being the highlight.

Mobius

The stuff with the dog made me laugh especially the bit in the car, and really enjoyed Fred Armisen's character.

Honestly have enjoyed every episode this season, couldn't really say one has been miles better or worse than any other. Just love the core cast of the show and the familiarity of how plots play out.

weekender

There's a warmth running through this season that was missing in Season 9.

If I'm being honest, the German Shepherd/Nazi allegory scenes made me laugh a bit, but to then cut away to away to Leon, Larry and Freddy talking about "storm fronts" was something else, especially when these are ostensibly side-gags and the whole coffee shop thing is allegedly the main arc for the series.

privatefriend

Does Count Dankula write for curb now? Cringe

magval

First season of this I watched "live" was the seventh, the Seinfeld one. Binged the first six but can't remember much about it.

I'm gonna go back to the start. When does it properly hit its stride and get great?

rue the polywhirl

mojo filters

Quote from: magval on February 27, 2020, 12:03:29 AM
I'm gonna go back to the start. When does it properly hit its stride and get great?

Season 1 is great, though the episodes are mainly stand-alone (with the exception of the continuity error caused by rearranging the order of two episodes involving the homeless guy.)

The end of S1 is probably where we get the first truly great episode, I think it's called The Support Group.

You'll be left in no doubt that "step counts!"

Mobbd

Quote from: mojo filters on February 23, 2020, 04:57:16 AM

Yes, that is pretty excellent. My absolute fave bit of the season so far is sort of the opposite though: it's when Ted is berating Larry for side-sitting. Larry tells him about the spite store and Ted isn't slightly interested. He's like "I don't know what that is and I'm not interested" but Actual Danson is visibly corpsing.

Sigh. So good.

Ep 6 was a smash. Anyone who didn't think it was well above average is SPOILED! Or possibly just forgetful.

beanheadmcginty

I've been working my way through the back catalogue for the first time in years and it's fun to come across actors who I didn't know at the time who are more famous now. The one I watched last night had a very young Anton "Chekov's handbrake" Yelchin playing a card trick on Larry.