Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:11:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb season 10.

Started by Dusty Substance, November 19, 2019, 07:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Finally getting around to checking this new season out. Christ, the performances in that first episode were so cartoonish it was unbearable. If you seriously thought this was a return to true peak Curb based off that episode, you are out of your mind. My partner has never seen the show and we're watching through at the moment, and the first handful of seasons are fucking remarkable, some of the most wonderfully written and hilarious sitcom stuff I've ever seen. S10E01? Not a scrape on that stuff, mate. Not a scrape. The episode was well-structured and there's some decent ideas but the show is past the point of no return now that it has squeaky clean production values and a cast who gurn their way through their lines and treat every scene like it's a variety performance. No nuance to it whatsoever. Characters like Leon and Suzie who operate at a constant "10" were excusable enough but Jeff was particularly terrible and Cheryl was just completely flat and dull.

Sorry, I know I'm late to this but I dipped into the thread hoping to find at least one or two others sharing my thoughts but I was shocked to see how much praise was heaped on it. The selfie stick snapping bit? For fucks sake.

Anyway, gonna fire into a couple more now I guess.

edit NEW PAGE FATWA

weekender

I don't mind that it's a cartoon now, in fact I enjoy it the more cartoonish it gets.

Jon Hamm in the latest episode was good.

You could say that he "Hamm'd" it up.

Mango Chimes

I liked the first one. And the next one. And possibly the next one, I don't recall. The Del And Rodders Go On Holiday To Spain episode, though, and that one is bad.

Mobius

Loved that latest episode, might be the best one yet I agree! Hamm was fantastic, nice to see that Cheryl's sister has basically turned into Dee.

alan nagsworth

I actually enjoyed the second one a great deal more. It wasn't as jam-packed but it had a far more palatable flow and the delivery from a lot of the characters was much more controlled and enjoyable.

the science eel

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 09, 2020, 09:54:43 PM
I actually enjoyed the second one a great deal more. It wasn't as jam-packed but it had a far more palatable flow and the delivery from a lot of the characters was much more controlled and enjoyable.

I feel the same way, and I wonder if part of the plan is to start every season with a crazy 'WE'RE BACK' episode with all sorts of cartoon madness before it settles just a wee bit for the remainder.

the science eel

I can't think of another comic actor who's clearly having as much fun doing what he's doing as Larry David.

Schnapple

That was a classic episode, probably the best of the last few seasons. Jon Hamm looked like he'd won a competition, just super good fun and everyone on form.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 09, 2020, 07:20:47 PM
Finally getting around to checking this new season out. Christ, the performances in that first episode were so cartoonish it was unbearable. If you seriously thought this was a return to true peak Curb based off that episode, you are out of your mind. My partner has never seen the show and we're watching through at the moment, and the first handful of seasons are fucking remarkable, some of the most wonderfully written and hilarious sitcom stuff I've ever seen. S10E01? Not a scrape on that stuff, mate. Not a scrape. The episode was well-structured and there's some decent ideas but the show is past the point of no return now that it has squeaky clean production values and a cast who gurn their way through their lines and treat every scene like it's a variety performance. No nuance to it whatsoever. Characters like Leon and Suzie who operate at a constant "10" were excusable enough but Jeff was particularly terrible and Cheryl was just completely flat and dull.

Sorry, I know I'm late to this but I dipped into the thread hoping to find at least one or two others sharing my thoughts but I was shocked to see how much praise was heaped on it. The selfie stick snapping bit? For fucks sake.

Anyway, gonna fire into a couple more now I guess.

edit NEW PAGE FATWA

I feel the same. I missed the few seasons before, after being a massive fan years ago. I made the mistake of re-watching "Crazy Eyes Killer", to get me in the mood, right before the first episode of this season. I'm done.

lipsink

I've enjoyed this season much more than the awful Season 9 but I find it a little depressing and sad seeing how old and haggard everyone looks (especially Jeff and Richard Lewis).

alan nagsworth

HE DOESN'T HAVE A WIFE AND HIS PARENTS ARE DEAD

Schnapple

Loved the moment this season in which Richard protested to Larry that his latest woman, "could have been the father of my child."

"Get out of here! You're what, 150 years old?"

Malcy

Brilliant stuff. Hamm was brilliant and Susie had a great line with "bullshit, you got a blowjob and gave away the house"!

non capisco

Quote from: Malcy on March 10, 2020, 04:56:01 PM
Susie had a great line with "bullshit, you got a blowjob and gave away the house"!

Also loved her delivery of the line "What the fuck are you doing in my house, Jon Hamm?"

Mobbd

Quote from: non capisco on March 11, 2020, 12:15:15 AM
Also loved her delivery of the line "What the fuck are you doing in my house, Jon Hamm?"

There was a general tendency to say his name in full that made me laugh quite a bit. Jon Hamm. Haha.

mr. logic

Was the jello line right at the end a callback to something I had missed?

jimboslice

Quote from: avatarlessnessophilia on March 09, 2020, 07:09:31 PM
What's going on with the lapels on Richard Lewis's jacket this week? It looks like two jackets on top of one another. After the terrible stitching in last week's scenes of Larry's funeral suit I can only wonder what these people are playing at. How is anyone supposed to concentrate on the story and gags with this lapel madness unfolding left, right and centre?

I'm finding the constant parade of Lacoste shirts on Jeff to a bit of a distraction too. What happened to suit and tie? Are Lacoste paying for this?

magval

Quote from: Mobbd on March 12, 2020, 10:02:25 AM
There was a general tendency to say his name in full that made me laugh quite a bit. Jon Hamm. Haha.

Looked like Cheryl was nearly going to let the side down at the magazine stand when she greeted him as "Jon" [beat, then quietly] "(Hamm").

Loved that episode, it was terrific.

pancreas

I think this as good as it's ever been and I've been loving every episode. I just watched ep5.

Gloriously demented ending—he thinks Suzy is trying to kill Jeff so conspires to get his heart surgeon there only to have the heart surgeon die of a heart attack from Suzy.

The Hitler dog ... hmm, not great pay-off. There must have been other ways of making the disabled guy late to warn Jeff, but I'm splitting hairs.

lipsink

Having an actor shadow Larry and then basically turn into Larry is such a brilliant Curb idea. I'm actually surprised they've not done it before.

weekender

Not sure how I ended up here on a Sunday evening, but this is nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbwMV7o7Was

Mobbd

Quote from: magval on March 14, 2020, 11:06:33 AM
Looked like Cheryl was nearly going to let the side down at the magazine stand when she greeted him as "Jon" [beat, then quietly] "(Hamm").

Good spot. Hines is a champ.

Mobbd

Ep. 9 was pretty decent. There were a couple of moments where things were a bit too broad that had me wondering (not for the first time) if Curb has become our Last of the Summer Wine.

There's enough goodness to balance this out though. And the
Spoiler alert
advert for Latte Larry's
[close]
at the start of the ep was vey funny -
Spoiler alert
the public openness of 'spite store' beautifully arriving at a logical fever-pitch
[close]

notjosh

Accidentally obtained the latest episode in French, and discovered that they call it "Larry et son Nombril".

"Larry and his Naval"

Mobius

Another good'un

Thought it was weird how
Spoiler alert
Larry made a song and dance of 'no defecation' then hired someone with diarrhoea
[close]

weekender

Richard Lewis's eyes, bloody hell :)

Malcy

Quote from: notjosh on March 16, 2020, 02:04:56 PM
Accidentally obtained the latest episode in French, and discovered that they call it "Larry et son Nombril".

"Larry and his Naval"

It will more than likely have the English audio as well. Just change the audio track.

I got stoned and watched the whole first series in French once. Still funny. Lot of great stuff again this week. It's been a very strong series.

BlodwynPig

Biggest laugh of the season at the end there. Lewis had me cramped with mirth

Puce Moment

Really, really enjoying this season. Richard Lewis, naturally, is the funniest thing in it, despite the fact that he looks older and more fucked than Kirk Douglas.

lipsink

Leon's line made me laugh out loud:
Spoiler alert
"Black jellybeans. Fucking black outs!"
[close]