Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:06:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb season 10.

Started by Dusty Substance, November 19, 2019, 07:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Leon's uncharacteristically enfeebled "Please...excuse meeeee" before he rushed off to the toilet was a corker.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 16, 2020, 10:06:06 PM
Biggest laugh of the season at the end there. Lewis had me cramped with mirth

That was great, the "spite store" advert too.

Leon just feels like a caricature of himself now and I love it.

NoSleep

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 09, 2020, 07:20:47 PM
Finally getting around to checking this new season out. Christ, the performances in that first episode were so cartoonish it was unbearable. If you seriously thought this was a return to true peak Curb based off that episode, you are out of your mind. My partner has never seen the show and we're watching through at the moment, and the first handful of seasons are fucking remarkable, some of the most wonderfully written and hilarious sitcom stuff I've ever seen. S10E01? Not a scrape on that stuff, mate. Not a scrape. The episode was well-structured and there's some decent ideas but the show is past the point of no return now that it has squeaky clean production values and a cast who gurn their way through their lines and treat every scene like it's a variety performance. No nuance to it whatsoever. Characters like Leon and Suzie who operate at a constant "10" were excusable enough but Jeff was particularly terrible and Cheryl was just completely flat and dull.

Sorry, I know I'm late to this but I dipped into the thread hoping to find at least one or two others sharing my thoughts but I was shocked to see how much praise was heaped on it. The selfie stick snapping bit? For fucks sake.

Anyway, gonna fire into a couple more now I guess.

edit NEW PAGE FATWA

I agree, having only seen the first episode so far. I haven't been arsed to watch the rest having been underwhelmed by it.

Replies From View

What did Mocha Joe steal from Larry's place and then use against him?  I lost that bit of the plot.

I am still enjoying this season.  I think it has become more cartoony than the classic years though.  Can't put a finger on what it is but perhaps the stomach sound effects and rushing off to the toilet are examples of a wider trend towards 'cheaper' and broader gags?

Mobius

Quote from: Replies From View on March 17, 2020, 10:44:32 PM
What did Mocha Joe steal from Larry's place and then use against him?  I lost that bit of the plot.

Screener DVDs - the ones that award shows send out for new films with a big watermark on them.

Replies From View

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks.

magval

You what made MORE sense, though? The idea that Mocha Joe seeing the copyright warning inspired him to sue Larry for ripping off the design of his store, logo, whatever amounts to IP in the coffee world.

Was that a red herring or did I just take that idea completely on my own?

mr. logic

Quote from: magval on March 18, 2020, 06:15:24 AM
You what made MORE sense, though? The idea that Mocha Joe seeing the copyright warning inspired him to sue Larry for ripping off the design of his store, logo, whatever amounts to IP in the coffee world.

Was that a red herring or did I just take that idea completely on my own?

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing.

You could tell by looking at it that that liquorice was ace. Not convinced by Larry's coffee though.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 29, 2020, 02:31:44 AM
You don't have to be plugged into the zeitgeist to recognise the Coldplay singer Chris Martin. He's been famous for 20 years.

Even if you don't know what he looks like, they explicitly went out of their way in the first ten minutes to explain that he's the lead singer of a band called Coldplay. Who everyone has heard of. So when he turned up at the end it's a natural leap: this is the famous singer who Suzie booked to perform at Jeff's party.

They could've hired anyone, an actor just posing as a rock star, but they chose to use an actual rock star. The storyline still makes sense either way.

Have just seen that bit. I got a feeling that he was a fan of the show and had been pestering Larry David to put him in it. And Elvis Costello wasn't available.

Replies From View

Quote from: mr. logic on March 18, 2020, 08:46:03 AM
Yeah, I thought the exact same thing.

So did I.  That's why I didn't understand what he had stolen from the house.

Replies From View

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on March 18, 2020, 01:50:43 PM
Have just seen that bit. I got a feeling that he was a fan of the show and had been pestering Larry David to put him in it. And Elvis Costello wasn't available.

To me it was the exact same as when they put very very shot gun into Reeves and Mortimer.  I thought it was just an unknown musician pal they liked who they were putting in the show as a favour but nope; he's like Paul McCartney to everyone under the age of 39 and three quarters.

Noodle Lizard

A mixed bag overall, I thought. Some episodes (or individual plots anyway) were better than anything since S7 at least, but some were just as jarringly poor as S9. I thought the finale was pretty weak and it really didn't stick the landing on any of the overarching plots, but the Jon Hamm episode a couple of weeks ago was great.

This season seemed to have far more superfluous celebrity cameos than usual, too. The celebrity spite store montage in the finale felt more like something from SNL than anything Curb would normally do. I don't really see the point either - it's not like they're struggling to maintain viewership.

Malcy

Great finale. I hope he makes another series soon. There was loads to enjoy in this one.

mr. logic

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 23, 2020, 08:39:33 AM
A mixed bag overall, I thought. Some episodes (or individual plots anyway) were better than anything since S7 at least, but some were just as jarringly poor as S9. I thought the finale was pretty weak and it really didn't stick the landing on any of the overarching plots, but the Jon Hamm episode a couple of weeks ago was great.

This season seemed to have far more superfluous celebrity cameos than usual, too. The celebrity spite store montage in the finale felt more like something from SNL than anything Curb would normally do. I don't really see the point either - it's not like they're struggling to maintain viewership.

On the second paragraph. I think he has such a distinctive comedy voice that it's interesting and almost jarring to see how talented he is as a more 'traditional' writer. You mention SNL, but I think Sean Penn selling exotic birds was like something Tina Fey might have written.*

Thought it was very good overall.

*I know she worked on SNL too, but I mean specifically like something from one of her own, actually funny, shows.

Malcy

Mango Chimes

I just watched the Hamm episode. I didn't think Hamm was very good. And I don't mind Hamm and his tour of comedies. Hamm in Toast was good. But his LD was fairly poor. Wasn't it?

Hamm.

Mango Chimes

Final episode was one of the better of the season. Really enjoyed the underplayed firefighter at the end.

Spoiler alert
They got the spite store celebrities in the wrong order, though, didn't they? You can't escalate from Jonah Hill to Sean Penn and then end with Mila Kunis.
[close]
And Vince Vaughan was very good, but never not needing a reminder that he's supposed to be playing someone else. I think Larry clocked this and made sure to announce his full name every episode he was in.

MrMrs

The celebs bit was so cringeworthy

Annie Labuntur

I've only just noticed that Amazon have plonked a crappy 'oy' on top of Larry's face in the Season 10 logo that wasn't there before.

Can anyone confirm that the complete season is all up on Now TV please? I don't want to sign up again to find it's gone.

Malcy

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on April 14, 2020, 11:19:47 AM
I've only just noticed that Amazon have plonked a crappy 'oy' on top of Larry's face in the Season 10 logo that wasn't there before.

Can anyone confirm that the complete season is all up on Now TV please? I don't want to sign up again to find it's gone.

The official Curb or HBO page had that image before the series started. Nothing to do with Amazon.

Old Nehamkin

Larry's famous catchphrase, "oy".

MrMrs

Never heard him say that. Weird choice.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Malcy on April 14, 2020, 12:28:27 PM
The official Curb or HBO page had that image before the series started. Nothing to do with Amazon.

Fair enough, I thought about editing afterwards when I saw it on IMDb too, but Amazon was where I noticed it today. It definitely wasn't there on the various images I've seen before.  (Maybe it was there at the start and some sites got rid of it?) 

Malcy

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on April 14, 2020, 01:00:57 PM
Fair enough, I thought about editing afterwards when I saw it on IMDb too, but Amazon was where I noticed it today. It definitely wasn't there on the various images I've seen before.  (Maybe it was there at the start and some sites got rid of it?) 

I'm sure there were other character ones with words over their mouths as well. Can't remember what they were though!

magval

Yes, until 23 April.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: magval on April 14, 2020, 09:29:46 PM
Yes, until 23 April.

Thanks. DVD is pretty expensive and not out till late-July anyway.

touchingcloth

How was there not a guillotine payoff to Larry's custom urinal, especially after all the talk of the size of Leon's Johnson? Bait and switch, or just a gag he hadn't noticed was staring him in the face?

Jeff's mouth and Richard Lewis' finger were things which preoccupied me this series, as well as whatever the fuck was going on with Timothy Oliphant. Looked like he had dressed up in a Kevin Bacon skinsuit circa Tremors and replaces his teeth with mints. Oh, and when I first saw Jeff on screen this series I commented that he should play Weinstein in a biopic.