Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:49:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb season 10.

Started by Dusty Substance, November 19, 2019, 07:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

For the first time I'm not hugely excited by the news of a new season. The last one was mostly a disappointment. There's been a change in the style somehow - can't quite put my finger on it, but it's less 'agitated', less high-powered, and more celeb-y or something. Increasingly  it's the work of a very wealthy comedy talent throwing a few ideas around on a TV channel that indulges him.

Of course I'll still watch, I still love LD and the show usually at least entertaining, but its glory days are long behind it now.

rue the polywhirl

I thought the first half of season 10 was brilliant, a massive step up from season 9. And then it tailed off precipitously. The last 5 episodes seemed like they were written by pod people and the last episode with all the Celeb cameos felt like some kind of hurried SNL sketch.

Armin Meiwes

Yeah also thought the last series was really enjoyable, aside from the last ep, and also actually liked that it had a bit of a different feel to stop it getting completely stale. Did feel a bit extras-y in places with all the celeb cameos though yeah, definitely could do without those, except for where they come up with an actual proper reason for them that makes sense (ie Hamm).

EOLAN

Actually quite enjoyed season 9 myself. Particularly the Fatwa musical arc. Similar to above on Season 10. Did think some items that were set up such as the MeToo stuff in the early episodes didn't have enough impact later on.
Personally though; my main hope was that Ted Danson portraying a sympathetic General Lee and Larry beating up a cardboard cut-out of him would have had a much bigger impact.

Mango Chimes

10 was a big improvement on 9, but a lot of the regular characters are now bad. Susie just shouts, Jeff complains, Leon loiters. Lewis is the only one I'd look forward to seeing more of in their series 10 form. Vince Vaughan was very good, but always distracting that he's not playing himself.

EOLAN

Quote from: Mango Chimes on July 01, 2020, 02:20:07 PM
10 was a big improvement on 9, but a lot of the regular characters are now bad. Susie just shouts, Jeff complains, Leon loiters. Lewis is the only one I'd look forward to seeing more of in their series 10 form. Vince Vaughan was very good, but always distracting that he's not playing himself.

Vince Vaughan was meh to me. Not particularly bad but just feeling he was the replacement for Bob Einstein - well it would be a hard act to follow.
And in fairness Vaughan didn't try to imitate or mimic Einstein and just look to establish his own character.

Brundle-Fly

Pretty, pretty, pretty bump.

Finally, watched this season. I thought it was excellent. I really don't get all the "not as good as it used to be" crits on this old thread, but heigh-ho, I guess I'm easily pleased? I just love being in the company of this cast and Richard Lewis has been a particular highlight this time around. 

The DVD extra was the most perfunctory DVD extra I have ever experienced.

Malcy

New series next month I think. Curb is a rare show in that even its worst episodes(if you could even call them that) are still brilliant.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Malcy on September 17, 2021, 09:12:38 PM
New series next month I think. Curb is a rare show in that even its worst episodes(if you could even call them that) are still brilliant.

Absolutely this. Every episode gives me, at the very least, three to four belly laughs. The mark of a great sitcom in my book.

Malcy

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 17, 2021, 09:30:58 PM
Absolutely this. Every episode gives me, at the very least, three to four belly laughs. The mark of a great sitcom in my book.

Likewise. Even it's existence is worth it. I could not even get a laugh and be happy that i spent half an hour in the company of the characters. I raved about it on the original BBC4 airing and convinced my parents to watch it one night. It was AAMCO and it just didn't land for them. I was disappointed they didn't enjoy it. I am extremely glad that nearly 20 years later it still exists. I am a big supporter of homegrown comedy but always rave about Curb.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 17, 2021, 08:17:14 PM
Pretty, pretty, pretty bump.

Finally, watched this season. I thought it was excellent. I really don't get all the "not as good as it used to be" crits on this old thread, but heigh-ho, I guess I'm easily pleased?

I think everyone agrees that S10 was a big step up from S9. That really was poor. S10 had a few good moments, I think, though honestly I'm struggling to remember them now.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 17, 2021, 10:07:06 PM
I think everyone agrees that S10 was a big step up from S9. That really was poor. S10 had a few good moments, I think, though honestly I'm struggling to remember them now.

Christ, that sounds harsh. I wish I maintained this kind of comedy critique these days.

Gettin' old, I just thought it was pleasingly hilarious. 

Brundle-Fly

Talking out my aria last night.  *cue Curb theme tune..

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on September 17, 2021, 09:41:54 PM
Likewise. Even it's existence is worth it. I could not even get a laugh and be happy that i spent half an hour in the company of the characters. I raved about it on the original BBC4 airing and convinced my parents to watch it one night. It was AAMCO and it just didn't land for them. I was disappointed they didn't enjoy it. I am extremely glad that nearly 20 years later it still exists. I am a big supporter of homegrown comedy but always rave about Curb.

Yeah man, I bloody love it.

S10 had some oddly broad moments (especially in the episode Cheryl directed - sorry Cheryl) but there have been departures from tone many times in the ten-season run and it's okay. All the Mocha Joe/Spite Store stuff was fucking hilarious and will be remembered for a long time.

Can't wait for more.

mr. logic

The last episode, with every reason for the fire being one of Larry's coffee shop innovations, was superb.

Brundle-Fly

I thought this Cracked criticism of the 'Mocha Joe series arc' is a tad over-sensitive?

https://www.cracked.com/article_27433_movies-tv-shows-that-look-awkward-af-right-now.html

beanheadmcginty

Good grief. Where's that Larry David fainting gif?

Mobbd

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 18, 2021, 09:58:53 PM
I thought this Cracked criticism of the 'Mocha Joe series arc' is a tad over-sensitive?

https://www.cracked.com/article_27433_movies-tv-shows-that-look-awkward-af-right-now.html

They didn't get it. Mocha Joe is pure evil.

(Also, they had a prior relationship from a previous season so it didn't come out of nowhere.)

Harry Badger

When is the new series coming? When?

Malcy

Mobbd

Malcy

Quote from: Mobbd on September 19, 2021, 01:18:18 PM
But when? When when when when when?

That's what I want to know too! Surprised they haven't given a specific date yet.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on September 19, 2021, 01:56:47 PM
That's what I want to know too! Surprised they haven't given a specific date yet.

But...

when will it be on?

jobotic

Been watching Season 8 as i don't remember a lot of it. That women's refuge one is a bit off innit?

mr. logic

Quote from: jobotic on September 20, 2021, 12:33:51 PM
Been watching Season 8 as i don't remember a lot of it. That women's refuge one is a bit off innit?

There's a moment when Larry addresses the shy woman, with real menace and contempt, almost hissing at her, 'Boy what did he do to you? He really did a number on you.' It's bizarrely nasty

Mobbd

Yeah, not Curb's finest hour.

jobotic

And their surprise that one woman could possibly be a victim domestic abuse because "she looks like she could handle herself". ha ha

Same episode with Richard's burlesque dancer girlfriend. The lads come across as right bunch of wankers in that one.

Replies From View

It has the most correct moment in Curb Your Enthusiasm history, though:  a dog without a bag isn't complete.

In other regards though, as with many other episodes, you aren't necessarily supposed to agree with Larry's point of view.  I think it might be a low point for the character without it being a low point for the show.  The character is often a dick, and sometimes we are meant to identify with him, other times not.  Maybe it's also his own flaw in real life but that isn't certain.

The same issue sticks to series 10, when it has an episode or two about Larry being misunderstood as sexually aggressive, so he films himself doing a consensuality "bit" to show he's a good guy.  It's massively rum, and it's hard to tell whether Larry David himself is out of touch or it's only his character.

jobotic

Quote from: Replies From View on September 20, 2021, 04:01:07 PM

In other regards though, as with many other episodes, you aren't necessarily supposed to agree with Larry's point of view.  I think it might be a low point for the character without it being a low point for the show.  The character is often a dick, and sometimes we are meant to identify with him, other times not.  Maybe it's also his own flaw in real life but that isn't certain.

Yeah I know that, and often Larry's point of view isn't necessarily one I agree with. I don't normally view him as a total wanker, as he is when he goes into a women's refuge and tells them they've got a pretty cushy deal, what with the house being so nice.

it's not like when he befriends a sex offender because he flatters him and helps him with his golf swing.