Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb season 10.

Started by Dusty Substance, November 19, 2019, 07:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 20, 2020, 06:47:03 AM
So much optimism on here. Really looking forward to this...!

I'm also in the camp of disliking Season 9 but thinking this episode was great.

Also agree with Jim Bob that although the selfie stick thing made me laugh, it was reminiscent of what I didn't like about Season 9 (crotchety Larry no longer bearing any semblance of reality). Thankfully the rest was a return to form

pcsjwgm

Loved Leon's line about wearing a MAGA hat backwards.

chveik

Quote from: non capisco on January 20, 2020, 10:28:51 PM
It wasn't one of the big moments but the bit that really made me laugh was Larry dipping his nose in Richard Lewis' coffee to test the temperature and Richard Lewis saying "What is this, a goose?"

yeah me too! it is a very strong episode.

''What are you a fucking goose?'' as Larry dips his nose into coffee to temperature test. How can anyone say this wasnt anything but great?

That and Jeff getting mistaken for Weinstein. Felt they could've got a whole plot line out of that though instead of two small jokes

Mobius

Yeah it was quite a dense episode wasn't it? Usually there's 1 or 2 plots going on that intersect, but that one felt like it was rammed with 'Curb moments' - hopefully as Noodle said it's leading to various ongoing storylines.

Think the Weinstein stuff will definitely come back as Larry is probably going to get #metooed now.

No mention of Funkhauser. I really wonder how they'll handle it. Sombre doesn't work for Curb. Given prior storylines with Funkhauser's relatives and the fact he was now single and divorced, I wonder if he'll be written off in some ridiculous way.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Mobius on January 22, 2020, 03:49:06 AM
No mention of Funkhauser. I really wonder how they'll handle it. Sombre doesn't work for Curb. Given prior storylines with Funkhauser's relatives and the fact he was now single and divorced, I wonder if he'll be written off in some ridiculous way.

Jeff Garlin already confirmed that they won't be addressing the actor's death on the show...

Quote from: The Daily BeastGarlin, who is also an executive producer, tells me that while Bob Einstein (Marty Funkhauser) obviously does not appear in the new season, his character will be mentioned. "By the way, no, we don't talk about his character dying on the show," he says. "Why do we need that on a comedy show? That doesn't fit on our show. There is no melancholy on Curb Your Enthusiasm."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pcsjwgm on January 21, 2020, 03:35:45 AM
Loved Leon's line about wearing a MAGA hat backwards.

So much gold to be mined!

BlodwynPig

Something comforting about Leon still living in the shed.

Is Larry estranged from the rest of the family, i forget?

Bobby Ralgex

That plane crash line was marvellous.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 22, 2020, 06:29:15 AM
Something comforting about Leon still living in the shed.

Is Larry estranged from the rest of the family, i forget?

Yes. Dealt with brilliantly - clearly, the rest of the family had outlived their usefulness to the show, so they all pissed off with great fanfare, followed by Leon matter-of-factly saying he's just going to go back to the house now. Didn't even bother to try to create some convoluted reason for him to stay around, because who'd complain? He's motherfucking Leon, after all.

Replies From View

brownjam

Would also appreciate a PM, please

Quote from: Bobby Ralgex on January 22, 2020, 07:14:14 AM
That plane crash line was marvellous.

Finally watched the episode earlier tonight after watching the news about Kobe Bryant, and this line gave me the heebie jeebies a bit.

Another strong episode except for the couch/consent bit, which was both way too long and old-man-yelling-at-cloud-ish

Highlight: "I'm going to be honest, I fucking forgot."

Noodle Lizard

Yeah this was a bit of a nothing one after the promising opener, although I liked the cancer-friend conversation. Cousin Andy was woefully underused, at least it seems he'll be around more going forward.

Malcy

I thought it was great again. Liked when Cheryl asked Larry what he was going to order after she turned him down. His dismissive "I don't give a fuck" was brilliant.

Mobius

Yep another really good episode.

Agreed that the consent/recording bit dragged, and is a bit of a tired old joke now. But it seems to be part of a larger season-storyline.

mr. logic

I feel like I missed a scene. Was Larry ruining the painting a deliberate ploy he and Jeff had devised? Feels like it was, but wouldn't that usually be explicit? Or did I genuinely miss a scene?

notjosh

Quote from: mr. logic on January 28, 2020, 02:23:51 PM
I feel like I missed a scene. Was Larry ruining the painting a deliberate ploy he and Jeff had devised? Feels like it was, but wouldn't that usually be explicit? Or did I genuinely miss a scene?

The implication was that the decking guy did it.

mr. logic

Quote from: notjosh on January 28, 2020, 02:40:42 PM
The implication was that the decking guy did it.

I mean with him squirting the tomato at it.

Replies From View

Quote from: mr. logic on January 28, 2020, 04:01:29 PM
I mean with him squirting the tomato at it.

No I think that was a genuine accident, like when he got piss on the jesus.

BlodwynPig

Good support this week and Larry in less truculent mood is calming

thugler

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 27, 2020, 04:08:31 AM
Another strong episode except for the couch/consent bit, which was both way too long and old-man-yelling-at-cloud-ish

Highlight: "I'm going to be honest, I fucking forgot."

This was the best for ages except that weak bit.

The 'spite store' cracked me up

Replies From View

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 27, 2020, 04:08:31 AM

Also, maybe I am getting it wrong but I sensed something bitter about it, as if we're supposed to agree that there's something about needing consent that has gone too far and it's now time to express passive-aggressive annoyance about it.  The reason I think that I'm probably getting this wrong is that Larry David isn't Louis CK.

I haven't really chipped in yet to say that I am mostly enjoying this series so far.  It feels more natural and instantly on-form compared to season 9, which felt weird or 'off' in lots of ways and spent a long time warming up.

mr. logic

I think we were definitely supposed to think that. He explicitly said, 'How can you date in the current climate? You can't even make a move.'

Replies From View

Quote from: mr. logic on January 30, 2020, 12:36:12 AM
I think we were definitely supposed to think that. He explicitly said, 'How can you date in the current climate? You can't even make a move.'

There's a difference though between Larry the character being somewhat of a dick sometimes (with stuff he does or says being appropriately framed as such) and that prolonged scene on the couch which seemed, to me, to be saying "amirite lads?" to its audience.

Dusty Substance

Absolutely *loved* the first two episodes. A real return to form. As I mentioned in the opening post, I wasn't too keen on the last season (not seen them since, so may have to re-visit them) but both these episodes felt like classic Curb.

They've not yet mentioned the Funkman, though. Hoping he gets a mention.

Weirdly, I recently saw a picture of Jeff Garlin and mistook him for
Spoiler alert
Harvey Weinstein
[close]

olliebean

Next Monday's episode is already "available."

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on January 31, 2020, 03:37:55 PM
Next Monday's episode is already "available."

Cheers for the heads up. Last series they were available early morning of the day they aired. Think they were up on HBO's website or something.