Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:54:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 5

Started by lankyguy95, November 20, 2019, 04:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 20, 2020, 11:26:23 AM
I've decided that Kim ends up a stay at home yogapantsmom with 3-4 of Jimmy's kids 18 months apart. We just don't see her in BB.

Oh great, now I'm picturing a litter of till-dippers with garish babygros and little blonde combovers.

Isn't Kim a bit old for kids? I don't want to be mean here, I'm just wondering if a pregnancy storyline can definitely be ruled out. It would be a bit cheap and obvious for this show, I reckon.

Also according to the BrBa wiki, Kim is actually a bit older than Jimmy... I can suspend my disbelief though.

Blue Jam

...and I'm thinking of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSB_zMhAdU

"I wanna go make some sperm" might be my favourite euphemism ever.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Skylar spent a good chunk of Breaking Bad up the duff. Would the writers want to repeat themselves like that?

Blue Jam

Also Lydia will have to get up the duff at some point soon. How old was her daughter in BrBa?

lankyguy95

I've decided that Kim ends up a stay at home yogapantsmom with 3-4 of Jimmy's kids 18 months apart. We just don't see her in BB.
If Gilligan and Gould had any kind of mischievous side, they'd do this. Just completely destroy the point of the Kim/Jimmy build up. "Sorry everyone, Kim's just babysitting during BB. Nothing actually happened." A gloriously pointless bait-and-switch. Lovely stuff.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 25, 2020, 10:05:48 PM
A bit of speculation based on a certain bit in the full trailer:
Spoiler alert
I doubt this show would go for something as obvious as a wedding or pregnancy plot, but I can imagine Jimmy proposing to Kim and that that's what she was smiling about... but her then responding with a resounding No. Or maybe we'll get the first "I love you" of the series but Kim won't say it back.
[close]
As ever when trying to predict things in this show, I am probably very wrong though.

Well, I was a bit wrong there...

Anyway, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK...

Blue Jam

https://youtu.be/quC2GkURViU

0.47:
Spoiler alert
Heading off to the registry office, or whatever the American equivalent is
[close]
? I don't think a
Spoiler alert
big white meringue dress
[close]
would be Kim's style.

selectivememory

God, this show is so good. The end caught me off guard. That's not how I thought that scene would end. Also glad to see them making good use of Mike again.

And the humiliation of Howard on top of all that drama. Brilliant.

Edit: also was impressed with how remarkably well the actor playing young Kim nailed her mannerisms and her clipped way of speaking when she's pissed off.

lankyguy95

Oh that Howard scene was hilarious. Poor guy. "Howie!"

That end scene was right up there with anything this show has done. Not ashamed to say my eyes were tearing up.

What the fuck happens next?

lankyguy95

Quote from: selectivememory on March 24, 2020, 01:47:34 PM
Edit: also was impressed with how remarkably well the actor playing young Kim nailed her mannerisms and her clipped way of speaking when she's pissed off.
Oh I'd forgotten about that scene. That makes her realisation with Jimmy even more heartbreaking. And yeah, hats off to the girl playing young Kim - the "I'll walk home" was particularly perfect.

Can't think of a better BCS episode.

Blue Jam

My jaw actually dropped at that last line. Will have to rewatch before I post anything, and get the feeling I'll cry the second time.

How the fuck does this show keep getting better and better?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 24, 2020, 01:59:07 PM
Oh that Howard scene was hilarious. Poor guy. "Howie!"

Creased when it pulled back to Jimmy narrating it to himself while watching through binoculars.

Blue Jam

"You can't take a ride on the carnival cruise and only pay for a tugboat"

Bwahahaha... Oh poor "Howie"...

gib

"i traced the payments - they were funding terrorism" made me guffaw

hamfist

Quote from: gib on March 24, 2020, 10:36:14 PM
"i traced the payments - they were funding terrorism" made me guffaw

"Bare Genitals" in red comic sans on the slide got me.

lankyguy95

The repetitive "YUP!" kept getting me.

I've just rewatched the final scene and started tearing up again. I'm so invested in Kim now, probably as much as I grew to be invested in Jesse by the end of BB.

Crabwalk

So much to love in that episode, but let's please acknowledge the genius of casting Jay Johnston as Kevin's dad, and having the ad play out EXACTLY like a Mr Show sketch! A big dollop of 'The Fairsley Difference' in particular. Amazing.

And yes, I too was getting very tearful at the final scene, only to be walloped by that.

kngen

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 24, 2020, 11:21:14 PM
So much to love in that episode, but let's please acknowledge the genius of casting Jay Johnston as Kevin's dad, and having the ad play out EXACTLY like a Mr Show sketch! A big dollop of 'The Fairsley Difference' in particular. Amazing.

Yes, I wanted to write a post about that (both things!), but I'm tired, so thank you.

I think im jealous that people are getting this show.

I've watched it religiously but we're on episode 523 and I'm still thinking "what the fuck is all this about?"

I had a bet with myself that Mike would do a jigsaw at some point, beautifully filmed of course and 10 minutes long. Only 4 episodes left so not many hours of great story left now.

Come on Mike you cheesy prick!

Petey Pate

The meeting where Jimmy played the video was incredibly uncomfortable to watch. Without knowing Kim was being stabbed in the back it probably would have played as another hilarious wacky Saul Goodman scheme.

Presumably Kim thinks that spousal privilege would protect her from having to testify against Jimmy? Also there's no doubt which lawyer Lalo is going to call once he gets arrested...

NoSleep

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 25, 2020, 12:03:13 PM
Presumably Kim thinks that spousal privilege would protect her from having to testify against Jimmy?

That thought crossed my mind but I think Kim is looking at the bigger picture; she's forcing Jimmy to ask whether he has even an ounce of commitment in him or is their relationship just another hedged bet of his? What's he doing with his, or their lives?

She's always been in on the scams Jimmy has pulled that she has been part of before now. It's become a matter of trust and, as in the opening scene with the young Kim, she knows when it's time to say "no more".

beanheadmcginty

Can I just say that I would absolutely love a 10 minute beautifully filmed scene of Mike silently doing a jigsaw.

Puce Moment

Rewatched that episode. Rhea Seehorn is fucking amazing in the final scene. What a talent!

Twit 2

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 25, 2020, 02:15:23 PM
Can I just say that I would absolutely love a 10 minute beautifully filmed scene of Mike silently doing a jigsaw.

Worth mentioning that Mike's window fix last ep, far from being gratuitous, was probably to show how he needs a job, needs to keep working, like a lot of retired men who go stir-crazy without a project. Gives an extra dimension to the subsequent Gus memorial fountain scene, where he's as likely to accept as much for the "eh, what else am I'm gonna do?" as the revenge angle.

Blue Jam

Quote from: NoSleep on March 25, 2020, 12:17:01 PM
That thought crossed my mind but I think Kim is looking at the bigger picture; she's forcing Jimmy to ask whether he has even an ounce of commitment in him or is their relationship just another hedged bet of his? What's he doing with his, or their lives?

Interesting- I saw the proposal as being about anything but romantic commitment. I still feel it's Jimmy who is really craving commitment in that way. As discussed in the podcast a few weeks back, Jimmy "resorts to real estate" when he feels Kim's slipping through his fingers, suggesting they buy a house this season, and "that stupid office" in season 3. She doesn't realise that they're more than bricks and mortar to poor Jimmy- they represent long-term commitments based on trust and respect, and relationships are built on trust, and you can't really love someone if you don't respect them.

I think Jimmy is painfully aware that Kim is out of his league, and insecure that she might just see him as nothing more than her bit of rough- that she'll "have a bit of fun with Slippin' Jimmy" before moving on and settling down with someone more dependable and respectable. He knows that she just has to sit at the bar at Forque nursing a mojito before some stockbroker offers to buy her the next one. I imagine Jimmy feels very lucky that instead of going home with one of these wealthy but charmless men, Kim calls him and they pull a scam and she goes home with her lovable rogue.

To quote that rooftop argument yet again- Jimmy asks if Kim will come running next time she fancies "being taken to the office in the sky" or whatever horrible euphemism Jimmy uses there, and she replies "Maybe I won't".

The commitment angle is interesting- we've gone from Jimmy wanting a sign of commitment from Kim, and now she's in trouble (while Jimmy has so far managed to stay out of trouble) the tables have turned and it's Kim getting desperate and wanting Jimmy to make a big commitment. I really don't think it's for the reasons Jimmy wants it though- I think it really is primarily about them being husband and wife and being able to refuse to testify against one another. Sorry to compare this with Peep Show again, but they're reminding me of Nancy proposing to Jeremy, and Jeremy being elated when all Nancy really wants is use him to get citizenship.

A shotgun wedding without a baby, and a couple saying "I do" before "I love you"- perhaps? Only in this show...

QuoteShe's always been in on the scams Jimmy has pulled that she has been part of before now. It's become a matter of trust and, as in the opening scene with the young Kim, she knows when it's time to say "no more".

I think that's another reason- Jimmy has been trying to burn bridges with Howard so he can fully commit to the path of becoming Saul, and because he's a terrible self-saboteur who just won't let himself have nice things. I think Kim is making another kind of commitment here too- she acknowledged that her options are to walk away now "and remember all the fun we had", or to commit to the path of becoming Mrs Saul, burning her bridge to a life with someone who would be better for her (if a lot less fun) and forcing herself to continue with her own self-sabotaging tendencies by making her destructive, mutually-enabling and co-dependent relationship with Jimmy official. Then she can use that piece of paper to convince herself that she has no other option but to stay with him no matter how much he lets her down.

On this week's podcast there's some discussion of how the cold open shows Kim as being different from how she is now, rather than showing young Kim as someone who hasn't changed at all. There we see her at a crossroads, deciding whether to walk home in the snow or get into a car with a drunk driver, and she chooses the right way. Now that sensible and mature little girl is all grown up she's at another crossroads and choosing the wrong way... maybe?

Or perhaps she was forced to be the responsible goody-goody as a child, not really having a childhood and having to look after her mother, and that's what drove her to someone like Jimmy...

I suppose there's also the possibility that Kim still believes she can tame her "bad boy" and is up for the challenge (doomed to fail as she would be).

Blue Jam

More than anything that argument reminded me of Walter White's final call to Skyler, where he got aggressive and insulting and she was offended, before the penny dropped that he was giving her an alibi and doing one last thing to protect her. Kim started off angry but had the dawning realisation that while Jimmy did double-cross her, he did it because her acting and lies alone weren't enough to convince her employers that she wasn't in league with Jimmy, and that he had to get her showing genuine fear and anger in front of them. It was a horrible trick alright, but it worked and as far as we can tell, she still has her cushy job and she got to help out the little guy- Acker and the copyright holder of the photograph as a bonus. That's why she cooled from "Fuck you Jimmy" to "We could get married".

Reading various reviews and opinions I'm wondering if I'm the only one who feels for Jimmy at this point. I think there's a bit of a theme developing with Kim wanting the best of both worlds- she wants her bread and butter job in corporate law but also wants to help the kind of little guy the corporate types screw over, and she also wants Jimmy to dependable and respectable, but not too dependable and respectable. How the hell is Jimmy going to be just roguish enough to keep her interested without driving her away? Her work can't give her she wants, and neither can Jimmy.

Maybe she's also making the assumption that marriage will make Jimmy grow up a bit and he'll start making more of an effort to be more open and to not hide things, but we know what he did near the end of his first marriage...

Incredible acting from Rhea Seehorn of course, she's really turning out to be the star of this series. And she's on the podcast this week, yay!

Pseudopath

I've got a horrible feeling that
Spoiler alert
Kim will end up with Howard
[close]
after all of this. That'd be truly heartbreaking.

Blue Jam

I am now wondering if
Spoiler alert
Kim and Jimmy drift apart but never get round to sorting out the divorce, than at the start of season 6 Gene is panicking- if only there was someone he could talk to who wouldn't be forced to testify against him, someone on the Kansas-Nebraska border...
[close]