Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:49:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 5

Started by lankyguy95, November 20, 2019, 04:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 25, 2020, 04:32:47 PM
I've got a horrible feeling that
Spoiler alert
Kim will end up with Howard
[close]
after all of this. That'd be truly heartbreaking.

Spoiler alert
"I FUCKED HOWARD"

Then Howard gets more than a bowling ball through his sunroof...

Actually isn't Howard married?
[close]

lankyguy95

They're missing a trick not having an episode titled 'IFH'

NoSleep

I'd forgotten about Jimmy suggesting a house together. But I now remember it more that Jimmy was thinking they were both going to be making more money (instead of him lagging behind Kim) while Kim seemed a bit standoffish (because the whole Saul thing looked a little sleazy to her). Stuff has happened to Kim in the meantime and the two of them had begun to bond again (by once again plotting a scam together) but Jimmy's blown it by not inviting Kim to be an equal partner in that; like he doesn't trust her enough.

EOLAN

In relation to the marriage proposal. Would it allow Kim and Jimmy the right to not testify against each other? That's what went through my head when she asked it, but could be just New York Law & Order bullshit.

NoSleep

That seems not to be a good reason for those two people to get married; seemed more of an ultimatum than a solution to a legal problem. Not a good career move for Kim as it puts her firmly in the Jimmy camp, versus her main clients.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 25, 2020, 04:42:48 PM
I am now wondering if
Spoiler alert
Kim and Jimmy drift apart but never get round to sorting out the divorce, than at the start of season 6 Gene is panicking- if only there was someone he could talk to who wouldn't be forced to testify against him, someone on the Kansas-Nebraska border...
[close]

Aaaaahhhh!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on March 25, 2020, 06:46:01 AM
I think im jealous that people are getting this show.

I've watched it religiously but we're on episode 523 and I'm still thinking "what the fuck is all this about?"

I had a bet with myself that Mike would do a jigsaw at some point, beautifully filmed of course and 10 minutes long. Only 4 episodes left so not many hours of great story left now.

Come on Mike you cheesy prick!

Why on earth are you still watching a show, five seasons in, that you don't like? It's not for you, watch something else. I don't understand this at all.

It's not like Doctor Who, a cult show that's been running forever, where fans are basically locked in because they're obsessive fans. Just bail out. Ignore it. 

I don't know. I think it's all the pretty colours.

There's no doubting its a lovely looking show and I do go from sometimes thinking "I don't want this episode to end!" to "fuck me this is going on forever". It's a strange effect.

jake thunder

I realised the only reason I'm still watching this is to find out what is going to happen in those black and white bits. That's like what, 6 minutes of footage over 5 years?

I just think it's fucking mad to invest so much time in a long-running TV show you don't really like. Do something less boring instead.

Well I loved Breaking Bad so I suppose it's completism.

You can't blame me for that. Why are you blaming me for that? Stop blaming me for that.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Besides, compared to the overall comments of any thread for a recent Star Trek project...

gib

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on March 26, 2020, 11:44:24 AM

You can't blame me for that. Why are you blaming me for that? Stop blaming me for that.

laughed, first time today too

Blue Jam

Just watched again, some random thoughts:

The cold open: I noticed a few little details, like the cello being stamped as property of the school, and young Kim's coat being too small for her so she couldn't fasten it against the cold. Just a few subtle pointers as to how poor her family was and how hard she has had to work to make a good life for herself, and how much she stands to lose now. That's even before her neglectful drink-driving mother pulls up. Good casting for Kim's mother too- good deep voice.

...then at the end, Jimmy (badly) playing his and Marco's favourite tune on a brand new Fender that clearly wasn't borrowed, and Kim hitting the bottle herself- nice bookends there.

The actor playing young Kim was great as everyone has already said, doing the same pursed-lip thing Kim does. Evidently she had studied Kim's mannerisms and nailed them.

The Mesa Verde ad- blimey, I didn't recognise Jay Johnston at first, now it seems so obvious. I can't watch that bit in the Globo-Chem sketch from Mr. Show where Jay is in a mountain cabin and shouting
Spoiler alert
"AAAAASSSSSS!"
[close]
and keep a straight face:

https://youtu.be/Uco5Ed-5y2U

I don't care if it would be obvious fanservice, I would love to see David Cross and Tom Kenny in this. Just as blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameos, maybe in one of Saul's cheesy adverts.

I was also wondering what was wrong with my telly until I realised that was a hair in the gate- nice touch.

Jimmy asking the film crew about bluescreen- "Oh, you mean greenscreen (grandad)?" made me laugh because I am also old enough to remember when weather reporters used to stand in front of a blue screen- when did that change? Is it because it's easier to avoid wearing bright green than blue?

Jimmy's lit-up eyes and grin while he was directing the commercial made him look utterly malevolent, almost like The Joker.

"Can you smile warmly?" *shakes head*

Is it me or does Jimmy/Saul's combover get more obvious the more evil he's being? While he was directing the ad, and then during the meeting at Mesa Verde, it looked like a wavy little toupe about to fly off at any minute. It was the same when he was in his little tent doing his 50% off offer, like a tiny bouffant that was trying to escape.

That shot of Nacho in his black and red shirt in front of his red car, backed with the blue of the Alburqurqe sky peeking through the broken window panes of the warehouse. Michael Mando is a beautiful human being alright and Nacho is a stylish character but that wide shot with all the red and black and the shadows of the beams against the sky was just beautiful for something so mundane.

Great eye acting from Rhea Seehorn once again. Fear and anger in the meeting, then a bit of welling up at the end. She deserves all the awards.

gib

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 26, 2020, 05:27:24 PMThat shot of Nacho in his black and red shirt in front of his red car, backed with the blue of the Alburqurqe sky peeking through the broken window panes of the warehouse. Michael Mando is a beautiful human being alright and Nacho is a stylish character but that wide shot with all the red and black and the shadows of the beams against the sky was just beautiful for something so mundane.

It was like the stained glass of a cathedral.

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on March 26, 2020, 11:44:24 AM

Sorry.

thugler

Didn't get that episode at all. The way saul wins the legal battle seemed like total nonsense, and then Kim is annoyed at him doing the thing they've both been trying to do for several episodes. All the b plots are amazingly dull. One moment Kim is down for all the scamming and heavily involved, and now angry about it.

It's a very slow cartoon. But it looks great yeah?

chveik

I'm pretty sure they have no fucking clue on how they're going to wrap this up.

H-O-W-L

Petey Pate

That was emotionally draining.
Spoiler alert
Jimmy's outburst at Howard was especially painful.
[close]

For what it's worth, this is the first time Jimmy and Mike have shared a scene since episode 3 of season 4 - if you don't count their phone conversation earlier this season.

Blue Jam

Five seconds into that I could feel my heart breaking.

Spoiler alert
Oh Huell, you're not late- you and your magnificent New Orleans carnival jacket turned up at just the right time.
[close]

Another fantastic episode. And to think that
Spoiler alert
Gilligan and Gould have been telling us that episode 8 will be the "wham episode"...
[close]

Pseudopath

Blimey...that was a roller coaster. Lalo just gets better and better, doesn't he? Loved the bit where Jimmy was telling him to act a little scared. Nae chance, mate.

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 31, 2020, 11:30:08 AM
Another fantastic episode. And to think that
Spoiler alert
Gilligan and Gould have been telling us that episode 8 will be the "wham episode"...
[close]

OK...now I'm terrified.

Blue Jam

I know nothing about what happens in next week's episode, beyond Gilligan and Gould on the podcasts saying it's a big one and that there was one sequence that was extremely challenging to film. No real spoilers there.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 31, 2020, 11:35:33 AMLalo just gets better and better, doesn't he? Loved the bit where Jimmy was telling him to act a little scared. Nae chance, mate.

Loved the bit where Lalo's cellmate peeped down over his bunk and Lalo waved him away.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 31, 2020, 11:41:02 AM
I know nothing about what happens in next week's episode, beyond Gilligan and Gould on the podcasts saying it's a big one and that there was one sequence that was extremely challenging to film. No real spoilers there.

Ah...it's directed by Vince Gilligan as well. That's usually a sign it's going to be a belter.

Blue Jam

Lydia still not pregnant then?

"Do you have the paperwork for your previous two dissolutions?" That's that little throwaway line from BrBa dealt with.

buttgammon

That was a top notch episode - very nervous for next week now if it's going to be as big as has been signposted.

I've thought this a few times now, but
Spoiler alert
Jimmy getting that pang of conscience, then managing to suppress it when arguing for Lalo's bond in the courtroom really felt like his crossing the Rubicon moment.
[close]

Blue Jam

I love Howard. He's such a prick and he's completely oblivious to the fact.

lankyguy95

Am I the only one who thought that Saul's outburst at the end felt a little out of place?

Maybe I'm being picky, it was another good episode otherwise. Hope we get some big pay-offs in the next three episodes.