Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 5

Started by lankyguy95, November 20, 2019, 04:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 31, 2020, 05:00:24 PM
Am I the only one who thought that Saul's outburst at the end felt a little out of place?

Yeah, great episode on the whole, but I did think that was a little silly.

NoSleep

The way he virtually admitted to Howard that he had been responsible for the bowling balls and hookers echoed how Cinnabon Gene had not kept his cool with that guy who thought he recognised him.

BritishHobo

Realised I've not posted in here at all, but I'm absolutely loving this season. I've been pretty vocal on here since about midway through season 2 about struggling massively with this show - finding it drags its feet too much, that it never really seemed to know where it was going, so it just kept putting the destination off. Writing and performances still stellar quality, but paced all to cock. I think it's all clicked into place for me now though - this season has been superb, and the way all the elements are knitting together makes me look differently on the pace of the previous seasons. For example I bemoaned a lot that Jimmy should have become Saul a lot quicker, but I've realised with this season how far he's really had to come. In the last episode alone he's had to cross a proper moral boundary (defending Lalo in front of that grieving family) that there's no way he could have done in the first few seasons. Similarly I was never that invested in Kim but this season I feel terrified for her. I can remember rolling my eyes a bit when Lalo came into the show as well, thinking 'fucking hell, another thing to pad stuff out', but of course he's hugely tied everything together, and the way the Fring/cartel stuff with Mike has folded back into Saul's life works so well.

There are still some parts of the previous seasons I think were filler, but overall I'm appreciating the journey of it a whole lot more. I like that you're really not too sure where things are going to go. Rather than thinking it's fine because I know Saul and Mike will survive, or I know Gus gets his comeuppance, I'm feeling really tense about Kim and poor sweet Nacho, and really eager to find out how on earth they can possibly get Lalo out of the picture.

lankyguy95

It does almost seem at times like they make the show more for the rewatch than the first watch. They've got that balance pretty much spot on though the last couple of seasons or so.

Sebastian Cobb

Loved Huell breaking out the disposable camera to capture the joyous moment.

up_the_hampipe

Laughed at Gus getting a "cool guys don't look at explosions" moment this week. I enjoyed Jimmy's meltdown at Howard, as he was loving the control he was having over that situation, but when he realised how easy Howard could read him, he just couldn't handle it.

Puce Moment

I really enjoyed Gus' very brief but very close inspection of the fryer basket just before he lit the place up.

Always a stickler.

Also, I wondered whether that German from BB would show up again.

Blue Jam

Was he the one who topped himself with a defibrillator?

He voiced Hitler in Wolfenstein 2, heheheh:

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0919256/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_1

Oh yes, and the scene with the frozen chicken slowly sliding towards Lyle's nice clean fryer. Awwww poor Lyle.

Twit 2

Rev+

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 31, 2020, 05:00:24 PM
Am I the only one who thought that Saul's outburst at the end felt a little out of place?

He's at peak hubris, and I'm guessing that's the last time we see Howard.  A little bit awkward but there did need to be a definite 'goodbye to the old world' scene at some point.

Blue Jam

The fact that people here seem to be discussing everything but the wedding probably says something about what a great episode this was.

Married Kim and Jimmy are adorable. I loved the way they were both trying to convince each other, but mostly themselves, that it was merely an administrative procedure but were both clearly giddy about the whole thing. Great eye acting and little smiles from both Bob and Rhea there.

I also loved Kim dismissing Jimmy's suggestion that this wasn't the wedding she "dreamed of as a little girl". Pffft, as if Kim was the kind of girly girl who dreamed about her wedding... but the least romantic wedding imaginable still made her all giddy and loved-up. Awwww.

I also love the way this season hasn't shown them continuing to drift apart as they were in season 4, but actually getting closer (and clearly being at it like rabbits). That's just going to make it all the more heartbreaking when they inevitably do split up. Oh Peter and Vince, you bastards.

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
Luftwaffle
[close]

Twit 2

No one talking about Kim's titties, neither. Racy Horn? Not 'arf!

Loved the Howard stuff , so many layers going on there.

Quote from: CioranHaving destroyed all my connections, burned my bridges, I should feel a certain freedom, and in fact I do. One so intense I am afraid to rejoice in it.

lankyguy95

I decided to be better than mention Kim's body.

Or at least wait until Blue Jam brings up Nacho again. Then I'll take that as permission to have free rein to discuss Kim.

Blue Jam

Hahahaha... There's been a lot of fanservice this season hasn't there? I thought AMC usually frowned upon that sort of thing. Needless to say I have been enjoying it all.

I'm gay for Rhea so perv away. I find Bob a bit adorable too if I'm honest, though I prefer him minus the David Mitchell hair and the aura of sleaze:

Handsome group ain't they... and I'm just being greedy here so I'll stop it now ;)

Back on the subject of Nacho, I do love the character's style. I once saw it described as something like "He's got street style right, like the opposite of Jesse Pinkman who just looks try-hard and ridiculous" ("and the same goes for you, Hip Hop!").

earl_sleek

I'm gay for Nacho. He has beautiful eyes.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 01, 2020, 11:12:30 AM
I'm gay for Rhea so perv away.
Excellent.

Rhea Seehorn, eh lads?! Phwoar.

Seriously though, I was quite envious of Odenkirk getting to shoot that scene.

Dex Sawash

I was 0 gay for Odenkirk until I saw the Mr Show clip upthread.

Blue Jam

The Globo-Chem ad pitch? Try this one

https://youtu.be/HQAFv1sI6TU

He was a looker in Mr. Show alright but in this sketch he's frankly terrifying.

Incidentally he's lending his gravelly tones to this week's BCS Insider podcast.

Blue Jam

I have recently realised that Lalo is a Mexican Begbie. Just try and unsee it now.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 01, 2020, 01:16:16 PM
I have recently realised that Lalo is a Mexican Begbie. Just try and unsee it now.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think we've seen enough incandescent rage from Lalo quite yet to make that comparison (but you know it's coming eventually).

He's still a cat in human form to me.

Blue Jam

It's the 'tache mainly. I suppose if we're talking behaviour then Tuco is more Begbie-like.

Twit 2

I know it gets said all the time but Bob looked about 70 in the beginning of that episode. The colour of his wig versus his craggy face makes me feel a bit sick.

Blue Jam

I'm finding the sudden gingerness of the hairpiece a bit distracting, aye. It would look a bit more realistic with a bit of grey in it, and I don't think that would affect continuity too much because the Saul Goodman of BrBa clearly dyes his hair anyway.

Puce Moment

Blue Jam

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 01, 2020, 03:03:02 PM

Danger! Danger! High voltage!

+7 million karma to you, but you're going to have to collect it yourself.

Puce Moment

I have been trying to work out who he reminds me of for weeks! When he smiles, he also has something of the Burt Reynolds about him.

Has Huell lost weight since BB days?

NoSleep

He has. It's been noted in previous seasons and he might have put a little back on.

Blue Jam

Just started watching series 2 of Suits and Gale is in it! As a sleazy lawyer trying to go straight! Hahahaha no way