Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 5

Started by lankyguy95, November 20, 2019, 04:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Pseudopath on April 07, 2020, 04:28:37 PM
But didn't Mike put him in prison in the first place getting the witness to provide a tip off about Lalo's car? Then he gives Saul all the evidence about witness intimidation in order to get Lalo off the hook? Feels like there should be some kind of linking scene explaining the about-turn and I'm not sure how they can explain it in retrospect (although knowing these writers I wouldn't put it past them).   
Fring said they couldn't kill Lalo in prison, or basically this side of the border, or he'd be blamed. I'm assuming the bail gets Lalo out, he runs back to Mexico and somehow gets killed there.

Blue Jam

I do wonder if Kim and Jimmy will stay in touch somehow, and I really do feel that she isn't going to be killed off at least. I can still imagine her getting out of the law altogether (by disbarment or by choice) and returning to Nebraska and ending up not too far from Gene.

Imagine if Gene and Kim's story ended with one last scam... oooh they could go out like Bonnie and Clyde...

Mobius

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 07, 2020, 06:07:53 PM
The space blanket, such a cruel callback to everything he's been through.

Totally missed that too and definitely puts the scene into a different light. Sad now :(

Blue Jam

Quote from: kalowski on April 07, 2020, 10:17:23 PM
Fring said they couldn't kill Lalo in prison, or basically this side of the border, or he'd be blamed. I'm assuming the bail gets Lalo out, he runs back to Mexico and somehow gets killed there.

Maybe he'll end up at Gus's haçienda, buried under the fountain.

Lalo's a great character but at the same time I would really love to see the smug snake get his comeuppance. Lalo's presence really adds another layer of tension, the suspense of waiting to see how Gus, Mike and Jimmy will deal with him is killing me.

Blue Jam

What's with all the bare feet in this series? Tarantino homage or do Vince and Peter just really like feet?

Bob getting his arse out again. He's turning into Gordon Ramsay.

Blue Jam

Pseudopath

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 07, 2020, 10:50:01 PM
What's with all the bare feet in this series? Tarantino homage or do Vince and Peter just really like feet?

A film student might say that it either evokes evil (like a cat showing you its paws before swiping your eyes out) or sexiness.

Don't mind feet myself, so couldn't be fucked either way. Did seem a bit overkill though.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pseudopath on April 07, 2020, 10:55:36 PMDon't mind feet myself, so couldn't be fucked either way. Did seem a bit overkill though.

I'm indifferent to feet- don't find them sexy, don't find them ugly. Just happened to notice a lot of bare ones in this series. Maybe it's an arc symbol like Chuck and all the shots of lamps in series 3. Or maybe someone really is just a perv.

Pseudopath

Good callback to Drew Sharp's tarantula during those desert scenes too. Man, these guys can write.

EDIT: Call-forward actually. Tarantulas apparently can live for 15-25 years.

maett

Not sure about that episode. Love the show but for the first time it really tested my credulity. A one track road, on which Mike was able to follow Saul, avoid being seen by the cartel cousins, then shadow Saul remaining undetected and get into a position to snipe out an assassin at the moment he was about to snuff out Saul. Then polish off the rest with ease.  Only for the lone escapee to return still alone driving up and down the road. The fact we know they both survive doesn't help with the tension either. Can't help but think that was the first misstep the writers have ever made. I thought Kim's character has always been smarter than that, too. Telling Salamanca she knows who he really is and hoping that he respects her married/spousal counsel rights thing. Not sure about this episode at all. But can't wait for the next one.

buttgammon

I've been having a bit of a Samuel Beckett phase recently, and there was something of the Didi and Gogo about Mike and Jimmy in the desert, the same sort of funny bickering with a hint of existential terror lurking beneath it. That's the sort of thing I love about this programme - the relationships are so perfect. Although I prefer this to Breaking Bad, it was the same with that a lot of the time too. Walt and Jesse aren't characters I would be particularly drawn to on their own (which might explain why I didn't think much of El Camino), but the relationship between them is done so brilliantly that I could listen to them talk and squabble for hours.

Quote from: Pseudopath on April 08, 2020, 12:21:21 AM
Good callback to Drew Sharp's tarantula during those desert scenes too. Man, these guys can write.

EDIT: Call-forward actually. Tarantulas apparently can live for 15-25 years.

Oooh! My girlfriend made the same observation but I said "nah, imagine a spider living that long." Obviously, it isn't the same tarantula and I was getting a bit pedantic anyway, but still a little detail which enriches things.

Blue Jam

Girl tarantulas can live over 20 years, but I think the boys only live for about two, and it's a bit cruel to keep a boy one as a pet because they get randy and they'll just keep trying to escape the tank in the hopeless aim of finding a mate somewhere else in your house. Or at least, that's what I remember from that one time I thought "Ooooh, I'd like a pet spider" and looked up some info and changed my mind.

Surely the tarantula isn't the one Drew Sharp captured, but the one crawling over Saul's lairy tie in the intro? I noticed that was the particular intro used in this episode. And if it is Drew Sharp's tarantula, then it's a girl.

Petey Pate

I don't think Kim deciding to speak to Lalo was that implausible.  She clearly was worried sick about Jimmy and as we all know, love impairs our sense of judgement, plus I think there was still some naivety on her part on what she was really getting involved with.  It was more logical given her character than her calling the police, as Mike assumed.

Pseudopath

I know the chances of it being the same tarantula are pretty remote, but Gilligan and Gould are certainly not averse to throwing in improbable back-references (for example, in Ozymandias, Walt rolls the barrel past his trousers from the pilot episode). A lot of people on Reddit reckon the cacti in this episode are very similar to those from the pilot of Breaking Bad too. I wouldn't put it past Gilligan to have reused the same location.

El Unicornio, mang

I didn't get the space blanket thing either until it was mentioned here, was wondering why he refused to take it, seems obvious now! I liked that episode, a change from the previous settings and several funny moments. Jimmy struggling to pull those bags along with that Davis & Main flask of piss swinging around his neck was quite the picture. Seehorn brilliant again in her brief couple of scenes. It's currently the highest-rated BCS episode of all time on imdb at 9.8, for what it's worth.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Pseudopath on April 08, 2020, 11:03:25 AM
I know the chances of it being the same tarantula are pretty remote, but Gilligan and Gould are certainly not averse to throwing in improbable back-references (for example, in Ozymandias, Walt rolls the barrel past his trousers from the pilot episode). A lot of people on Reddit reckon the cacti in this episode are very similar to those from the pilot of Breaking Bad too. I wouldn't put it past Gilligan to have reused the same location.

It was the same location, actually. The To'hajiilee reservation, which also featured in the episode of the same name.

Twit 2

Great episode. I enjoyed a stripped down episode after the previous more complex machinations.

gib

Best episode so far for me. Made even better by having a bit of Chas & Dave & Labi.

Blue Jam

Great BCS Insider podcast this week, this time featuring the gravelly tones of Jonathan Banks. If you can get past the grim story of how
Spoiler alert
an inexperienced young stuntman made an easy mistake and ended up with his eye hanging out
[close]
you'll get to the much more heartwarming tale of how
Spoiler alert
during the filming of this week's episode Banks and Odenkirk kept being accosted by an elderly chonker of a stray dog. Bob was all like "Awwww can we keep him?" and on being told yes took him to a vet for a checkup, where he was informed that this chunky old boi was actually a healthy young girl dog who was due to give birth imminently. Days later Rhea Seehorn played doggy midwife to eight puppies
[close]
. Awwww you guys:

https://youtu.be/jWeWAdcrxTc

Jonathan Banks is also now my favourite BCS podcast guest, he's always great value.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 09, 2020, 05:16:35 PM
Great BCS Insider podcast this week, this time featuring the gravelly tones of Jonathan Banks. If you can get past the grim story of how
Spoiler alert
an inexperienced young stuntman made an easy mistake and ended up with his eye hanging out
[close]
Spoiler alert
during the filming of this week's episode Banks and Odenkirk kept being accosted by an elderly chonker of a stray dog. Bob was all like "Awwww can we keep him?" and on being told yes took him to a vet for a checkup, where he was informed that this chunky old boi was actually a healthy young girl dog who was due to give birth imminently. Days later Rhea Seehorn played doggy midwife to eight puppies
[close]
. Awwww you guys:

Jonathan Banks is also now my favourite BCS podcast guest, he's always great value.

Ahhh...what a lovely story. Kudos to Patrick Fabian for rehoming the mother and the runt too. Top man.

Blue Jam

Great bunch of lads. This is like the perfect antidote to Tiger King.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 09, 2020, 05:16:35 PMIf you can get past the grim story of how
Spoiler alert
[close]

That was horrific! Still, the pooch story is lovely. Swings and roundabouts.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 09, 2020, 05:16:35 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]
Spoiler alert
[close]
. Awwww you guys:

Didn't realise they actually pronounced it 'Ray'. A mate's ex is called Rhea and she definitely didn't pronounce it like that.

DrGreggles

I thought it was pronounced Raya...

Sebastian Cobb

I've only heard it like ree-ya but with the soft h from rhythm.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pseudopath on April 09, 2020, 05:34:33 PM
Ahhh...what a lovely story. Kudos to Patrick Fabian for rehoming the mother and the runt too. Top man.

My last dog was a runt (also from a litter of eight) and one of my cats-in-law is a runt. Runts are fighters, they're badass little fuckers. Patrick Fabian has got himself a pair of right little badasses right there.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 09, 2020, 11:09:14 PM
Didn't realise they actually pronounced it 'Ray'

RACY HORN

Sebastian Cobb

i thought you were mangling that for fun tbh.

EOLAN

That dog story sounds a lot like one of Charlie's and Rob's adventures in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.