Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 5

Started by lankyguy95, November 20, 2019, 04:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

They're just trolling her now, surely?

NoSleep

They're ignoring her because she's been trolling them with her fine performance.

Blue Jam

Am I right in thinking this is the first time the show itself has been nominated, but the first of the five series Odenkirk hasn't been nominated for? I can't help thinking that looks like a snub. One nom for Esposito is nice, but nothing for Tony Dalton?

Nothing for Racy Horn is the most ridiculous thing though. I just hope she eventually gets recognised by casting peeps who can give her an absolute fuckton of work after season 6 is done.

Ozark though? I do enjoy that show but FFS, it's Breaking Bad minus all the fun.

I hope Succession cleans up then, and Kieran Culkin gets an Emmy for playing Roman Roy, my second favourite comedy-drama sleazeball character.

NoSleep

I wonder if BCS is getting passed by because of all the accolades that BB had in its day?

Puce Moment

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 29, 2020, 12:56:16 PM
Laura Linney? Really.

That would be the wrong category anyway as Seehorn would be in Best Supporting. Can't believe she's been snubbed again though, after losing out to every Game of Thrones actress last year. The other noms I've seen (Fiona Shaw, Thandie Newton, Samira Wiley, Helena Bonham Carter) did good work but I'd put her above them all.

Puce Moment

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 29, 2020, 01:06:31 PMThat would be the wrong category anyway as Seehorn would be in Best Supporting. Can't believe she's been snubbed again though, after losing out to every Game of Thrones actress last year. The other noms I've seen (Fiona Shaw, Thandie Newton, Samira Wiley, Helena Bonham Carter) did good work but I'd put her above them all.

She's considered supporting, but Linney isn't? Madness.

Dex Sawash

Maybe it is a half-season thing and she's a lead pipe lock for next year

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 29, 2020, 01:31:06 PM
She's considered supporting, but Linney isn't? Madness.

Linney effectively became the main character in Season 3 of Ozark, not so much Bateman.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 29, 2020, 06:46:15 PMLinney effectively became the main character in Season 3 of Ozark, not so much Bateman.

Wexler was central to everything in the last season of BCS.

jobotic

That is ridiculous.

The two main leads from I Am Not Okay With This should have nominations too, I reckon.

NoSleep

This week's episode of Corporate featured (the voice of) Bob Odenkirk (as the physical embodiment of depression). Worth a watch if you've not yet tried this series (now in its third and final season), as it's top notch surreal black comedy. As an added bonus it also regularly features Aparna Nancherla (who voiced Hollyhock in Bojack Horseman).

a peepee tipi

Going through S5 now, seeing old ass Bob Odenkirk burst through old ass Jay Johnston's face put a huge smile on my face

Blue Jam

Quote from: NoSleep on August 03, 2020, 08:40:11 AM
This week's episode of Corporate featured (the voice of) Bob Odenkirk (as the physical embodiment of depression). Worth a watch if you've not yet tried this series (now in its third and final season), as it's top notch surreal black comedy.

https://youtu.be/8vzC0tttn5Y

Yep, that looks pretty fucking dark. Good casting too- a cheerily sing-song voice with a bit of an evil rasp underpinning it.

This looks great overall, why is there so much good telly and so little time?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Jonathan Banks is unfortunately looking more and more like a giant turtle with every season of this. Can't they give him a hat to wear?

Blue Jam

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 14, 2020, 03:40:27 AM
Jonathan Banks is unfortunately looking more and more like a giant turtle with every season of this. Can't they give him a hat to wear?

The extra weight would crumble his head.

Non Stop Dancer

Annoying that this will be the last season when it feels like it's just hitting its stride now. Hopefully there will be another spin off of some description.

Dex Sawash

Esposito is a baddie in The Mandalorian but brings very little weight or menace, somehow.

BritishHobo

Same in The Boys. Feels underused, really.

NoSleep

I've not really thought much of Esposito's roles outside of BB/BCS.

It's probably a similar story to how come Ron Carter sounds so good on Miles Davis' material (where he was allowed time to develop his basslines) but not so good elsewhere (where he is restricted to playing something on the recording date without prior sight of the material). Miles said Carter was the best bass player there was if you gave him three days to think about it.

Good direction is everything.

Petey Pate

Esposito also appeared in Bong Joon-ho's Okja playing what was essentially a Gus-lite character.

Many years ago he had a very minor role in Trading Places.

https://youtu.be/OUvKIubY6OY

He's the baddie in the new Far Cry coming out too

Blue Jam

From September but this is CaB so I've just got to post this:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/better-call-saul-hairpiece

Jimmy McGill's ever-decreasing wig is the second-most mesmerising hairstyle after Pete Campbell's ever-evolving combover in Mad Men.

DrGreggles

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on November 01, 2020, 04:47:12 PM

Where's the 'Up The Arse corner' thread?

Ant Farm Keyboard

chveik

Quote from: NoSleep on November 01, 2020, 11:19:56 AM
I've not really thought much of Esposito's roles outside of BB/BCS.

It's probably a similar story to how come Ron Carter sounds so good on Miles Davis' material (where he was allowed time to develop his basslines) but not so good elsewhere (where he is restricted to playing something on the recording date without prior sight of the material). Miles said Carter was the best bass player there was if you gave him three days to think about it.

Good direction is everything.

well Miles was notoriously full of shit

NoSleep

Except when it came to music. He had the most perfect set of ears to ever bless the planet. You can hear for yourself how good Carter sounds on Miles' stuff and compare how scrappy he can sound elsewhere; not bad but certainly not great (a bit like Esposito away from BB/BCS).

Blue Jam

Just been rereading this thread...

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 17, 2020, 11:24:27 AM
13 episodes apparently, to make a total of 63 episodes, to equal Breaking Bad + El Camino. It should also air in 2021, no delay this time.

:'(

Blue Jam

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on November 01, 2020, 04:47:12 PM

Is that rendering from a recent photo or from motion capture? I know a lot of Gus's scenes in season 5 were filmed in shadow to hide the ageing, in season 6 they'll have to put Esposito in total darkness or have him as just a disembodied voice.

That article I posted earlier mentions the anti-ageing trickery done in post-production. As it says it's quite subtle and not used up to the freakish degree it is in The Irishman, but it is a little weird in the flashbacks to Kim and Jimmy in their HHM mailroom days. I wonder if we'll be getting more of that now.