Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:13:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shit entry points to great acts

Started by peanutbutter, November 20, 2019, 11:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
When I was about 14 I decided I wanted a Nirvana album, but when I got to Woolworths in my town the only one they had was Incesticide. I bought it, even though I had never heard of it. Bar a couple of songs it's just for completists and what I actually needed was Nevermind. Incesticide is the fourth one you should buy cos it's the fourth goodest and not even a proper album. I did not know this.

non capisco

Incesticide was the one I played the most after In Utero, mainly for 'Aneurysm', 'Dive', 'Sliver' and those slamming Peel Session covers of the two Vaselines songs.

All good, but not where the unitiated 14-year-old should start. A few essential tracks, plus odds and sodds to be listened to once, unless you're a big fan.

mojo filters

Post Spacemen 3, Jason Pierce's first release as Spiritualized was 4 different mixes of his cover of Anyway That You Want Me.

Whilst he would go on to record more amazing new music, that one just seems unnecessarily superfluous.

The later "Violins Outtake" mix released by former bandmate Will Carruthers on his unofficial Blue On Blue album was way more interesting.

However in my not so humble opinion, Evie Sands' 1969 cover will always be the definitive version.

Psmith

Atom Heart Mother.
WTF ?
They are reputed to be a great act by most ,not me though.

mojo filters

Quote from: Psmith on November 22, 2019, 03:48:51 AM
Atom Heart Mother.
WTF ?
They are reputed to be a great act by most ,not me though.

Pretty shitty band name!

There are far better and suitably more obscure Barrett/Waters/Floyd references, from which to mine nomenclature and imply influence.

Sounds like a second tier Floyd tribute band. I've no objection to the folks who enjoy such live recreations, but the original sources are sufficient for my long term appreciation of the real thing.

NoSleep

Atom Heart Mother is the name of a Floyd album which is what Psmith is referring to. I think you must be referring to a Floyd tribute band named after that.

I saw Floyd live on 3 occasions (including the live premiere of AHM) and they are an extremely boring act.

phantom_power

I really like the title track of AHM. In fact the only one I am not fussed about on there is Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on November 22, 2019, 10:24:50 AM
I really like the title track of AHM.

My favourite Pink Floyd song.
Not fussed by anything else they've done. Find most of it to be very dreary.

samadriel

My first Killing Joke album was "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns", one of those mid-80s KJ albums that doesn't sound like KJ.  I enjoyed it, and 'Victory' is still one of my fave KJ songs, but it didn't register them in my head as an essential band.  Fortunately I later heard 'Seeing Red' on the radio, acquired their '03 self-titled album, and I fell in love with their true sound.

Icehaven

Back in the 90s Kong in Coventry used to sell loads of shit quality bootleg compilation CDs of B-sides, demos and live performances by various indie/rock/punk bands, and I think I bought a few by Buzzcocks or The Smiths or similar (purely as I'd read how much of an influence they were on current bands like the Manics, Mansun etc.) and was a little confused by how they were as revered as they were.

alan nagsworth

My entry point to Jane's Addiction was Nothing's Shocking. Awful. Imagine my surprise when I tried listening to some of their other stuff and discovered it was even worse!!!

Neville Chamberlain

A big hard Brexit up the bottom for you, Nagsworth.

Crabwalk

alan nagsworth

mojo filters

Quote from: NoSleep on November 22, 2019, 08:51:47 AM
Atom Heart Mother is the name of a Floyd album which is what Psmith is referring to. I think you must be referring to a Floyd tribute band named after that.

I saw Floyd live on 3 occasions (including the live premiere of AHM) and they are an extremely boring act.

I misread the post rather hastily.

I thought that poster was referencing another band called "Atom Heart Mother" (derived from that album title, hence speculating it was a Floyd tribute act) rather than the actual Floyd album of the same name - which I know well, though not one of my favourite Floyd albums relatively speaking, but their best work sets a very high quality bar.

Apologies for the confusion, my mistake!

I'm envious you got to see them touring that album. I don't think I've got or even heard much by way of live material from that particular record.

I've heard various bootlegs and official live recordings alongside all their studio material. There are some reasonably dramatic differences between how good they seemed to sound live (accounting for variations in sound quality) so I've no reason to doubt you unfortunately saw and heard boring performances.