Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:58:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Political leaflets: what have you had so far?

Started by canadagoose, November 21, 2019, 01:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

The Tory leaflet here - I did have a look at in in the end, for purposes of comparison - is quite interesting, in that it barely mentions the election, makes absolutely no mention of Boris Johnson or even of the Conservative Party (apart from the logo on the back), and focuses entirely on what the Tory incumbent has done for the local area. I think that must say something about how he feels Johnson and the Tories are perceived in the constituency.

pancreas

Quote from: timebug on November 22, 2019, 10:31:59 AM
Had one so far from the local Labour Party. Might even have glanced at it before binning it, but as the bastards tried to knock their way through my front door whilst delivering it, I simply couldn't be arsed. As a general rule I never read any of them.
Lying, pie-in-the-sky tosspots,the lot of 'em!

Hi, timebug.

Vote Labour, you fucking piece of shit.

Thanks.

kittens

Twit 2

Quote from: timebug on November 22, 2019, 10:31:59 AM
Had one so far from the local Labour Party. Might even have glanced at it before binning it, but as the bastards tried to knock their way through my front door whilst delivering it, I simply couldn't be arsed. As a general rule I never read any of them.
Lying, pie-in-the-sky tosspots,the lot of 'em!

Hi timebug!

Vote Labour or we're all coming round to saw your legs off and throw them in a lake.

Cheers.

kittens

Twit 2,

This seems harsh, but reasonable.

Kittens

pancreas

Sorry, Twit 2 threatens to disable him and *I'm* the one who gets in trouble?

bgmnts

Was given a random Brexit Party car sticker on Reading high street. Just come up in my face and stuck it out at me.

Cunts aye.

Frances Found

Have had 1 Tory leaflet, 1 Labour and 5 Lib Dem leaflets so far.

Lib Dems polled 5% of the vote in 2017 and we're a Labour/Tory marginal. The current Labour candidate is an ardent remainer. The piss diamond bar chart says the seat is a choice between Labour or Lib Dem, Tories can't win here.

Cunts.

Pink Gregory

New Green Party leaflets every other day it seems. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteLying, pie-in-the-sky tosspots,the lot of 'em!

I fear this comment which could fairly have been applied - albeit vaguely - between 1983-2015 is no longer warranted. The nature of our society and economy is now under question and the parties offering change offer vastly different forms of change.

The above very common attitude is all too regularly a convenient way to avoid having to confront your obligation as a citizen to participate and struggle. Believing 'mmerrrh all bad as each other' is a too simplistic get out I am afraid, and clearly, even from a superficial analysis, wildly untrue.

Twit 2

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 25, 2019, 06:35:56 PM
New Green Party leaflets every other day it seems.
take them round to their office and make them eat them

greencalx

Just got a postcard from the Lib Dems saying they are "on the up" in Scotland (oddly, not "winning here", as usual).

Their first piece of evidence is winning the Shetland by-election against the SNP. A seat they've held for around 200 years (bar a couple of decades of Tories).

Fishfinger

A single LibDem leaflet so far. Under Tactical Voting Advice we see "Pro-Remain tactical voting website getvoting.org recommends voting Lib Dem in [your constituency]".

Unsurprisingly, the Lib Dems aren't competitive here at all - in 2017 they came a dismal fourth with just 2.7% of the vote, having lost share.

holyzombiejesus

We've got a Labour poster in the window so it may deter canvassers but I'm still surprised that we've had nothing from the LibDems or tories. if the LDs aren't really trying, then credit to them but you'd expect the tory incumbent to be bombarding the electorate with stuff. Labour have had 2 leaflets delivered in the  last 3 weeks or so yet zip from the rest.

idunnosomename

I had a newsletter from our prospective tory cunt (who is honestly a horrible cunt who is pretty much despised on the council, so his name is small on the letter)

his big wheeze is to reopen our local airport haha well yeah imagine that with all the brexit customs shit. lots of anti-crobbins stuff too of course

delivered via the royal mail postie junk, I notice: so paid for, not by volunteers. we don't think the tories actually canvass here. they just take a picture for the newsletter, then go home.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Dr Trouser on November 22, 2019, 12:57:36 PM
Just had 2 more Swinson ones through the door. That makes it 7 now.

Just home to find yet another Lib Dem one. This time a huge A3 leaflet for Scottish Lib Dems and no mention of Swinson anywhere to be found.

How many more trees have to die Jo, how many?

BritishHobo

I've had one Plaid (pushing the merits of their genuinely fucking brilliant candidate), one from the Brexit Party (doesn't even mention their candidate's name, has a big picture of Ann Widdecombe on the front) and one Tory (fake newspaper, focus on telling us our constituency and our constituency alone can will ensure Brexit happens).

Pink Gregory

Another Green Party communication, fake newspaper format this time, claiming that the Greens are the only pro-remain choice in Bristol West

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dr Trouser on November 26, 2019, 05:56:15 PM
Just home to find yet another Lib Dem one. This time a huge A3 leaflet for Scottish Lib Dems and no mention of Swinson anywhere to be found.

How many more trees have to die Jo, how many?
she just wants the squirrels outta them

jenna appleseed

Quote from: bgmnts on November 25, 2019, 12:00:21 PM
Was given a random Brexit Party car sticker on Reading high street. Just come up in my face and stuck it out at me.

Cunts aye.

They stuck their sticker on your face?
monsters!

jenna appleseed

Got a local Lib Dem candidate glossy leaflet the other week, with bar chart, bits of design that look vaguely like bar charts, anti Labour & Tory quotes attributed to The Guardian & The Irish Times & a photo of Jo Swinson looking confused under the sub headline "Jo Swinson is the Prime Minister we deserve".

Today Boris sent me a letter, repeats the lies about more police & imaginary money going to the NHS, + begs me to use my postal vote to vote Tory (too late bastards).
Apparently they're scared they're not going to get a majority government which they desperately need in order to "get stuff done" and Britain is trapped ""spinning round in a hamster wheel of doom"

(I'm not making it up about the hamster wheel of doom).

and it also unironically says "Together, we can end the doom and gloom" while asking me to vote Tory.
(can't stop genuinely laughing at this while trying not to think of the hampster dance)

The Culture Bunker

Wheeey, got my first leaflet just now - 'twas from Labour, though I noticed not one mention of Corbyn, 100% on Jeff Smith (he's done alright for himself, despite the disability of the most boring name possible) and his local work. Not sure if that's the norm?

canadagoose

Parents got a Tory leaflet through the door and the dog chewed it up. They must be very biteable.

greencalx

Got an SNP leaflet which nicely juxtaposed the Labour one by talking only about the party and telling me nothing about the candidate (other than their name). This was quickly followed by a Swinsonogram warning about the potential for a US trade deal to damage the NHS (which I expect her to step away from now that JC has made such a fuss about it). There was also a faux letter from a LD supporting junior doctor. Think he should ask for a second opinion.

Still waiting for the faux handwritten letter.

GMTV

SNP letter today, straight in the fucking BIN

canadagoose

Current tally here: 3 Labour, 2 Lib Dem, 2 SNP. I don't think the Tories are bothering their arse with this bit of the constituency.

Jockice

One from Labour and that's it. Our Labour MP has a 27,000 majority so I'm not sure he had to bother.  The only people who ever call round are the Greens. It's usually quite a nice chap but their candidate this time is a female whose husband I know. And he's a cunt, so part of me is hoping she rings my bell, hopefully accompanied by him.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 21, 2019, 07:04:50 PM
Just Labour, a pre-printed letter from my local MP with information about applying for a postal vote, and a form to fill in if I want to do that.

Leading up to the last election I received leaftets from everyone except the Tories.

Today another party condescended to send a leaflet.  I've not read it, beyond my cursory inspection to see which party sent it. Brexit Party.

olliebean

This is the latest from the Lib Dems (although you'd be hard pressed to notice the attribution in tiny print at the bottom). Mike Smithson, btw, is an ex-Lib-Dem councillor.

The sentence I've highlighted seems particularly disingenuous from a supposed "Polling and Elections Expert," given that the Lib-Dems got 6.6% of the vote here in the 2017 election and have never had more than 17%, which on that occasion was barely half as much as Labour got in second place. In fact, in past elections since the constituency was created in 1997, a vote for anyone other than the Lib-Dems has ended up with a Labour MP exactly as many times as it has with a Conservative MP.