Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

what exercise is good

Started by madhair60, November 21, 2019, 02:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

i'm fat and tired of being fat, slimming world is boring shit, need exercise where do i start (extremely serious answers only please)

Chollis

BlodwynPig

Talking about exercise is boring. Just do some stairs and work your way up

kittens

Sin Agog

Imaginary Subways must be fattening.

surreal

Neville Chamberlain

Enter the Olympics. Loads of sporty people do that!

Yoga is fucking brilliant. You don't even need to go anywhere to do it. Just do something like Adriene's 30 day "Dedicate" course in your front room to get started.

https://yogawithadriene.com/dedicate-a-30-day-yoga-journey/ (you don't really need to sign up, they are all freely available on YouTube)

I'd recommend a yoga mat too so you don't slip about the place.

Think about doing a poo, they weight a bit and will rid you of some of the fat if it's a greasy one.

Cardenio I

shotput a hedgehog through your enemy's neck

Cuellar

Cardenio I

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Blue Jam

NoSleep

Just go for a 2-4 mile walk every day; so good in many ways.

poodlefaker

Couch to 5k. Download a podcast or app that talks you through it. Leave the house and you're back in half an hour. Three times a week, you'll be running 5km in six weeks. Surprisingly easy.

madhair60

i said i only want serious answers. will you please show me some respect

seepage

just go for a bit of a stroll and don't eat/drink more than 2,000 calories a day.

Gin and slimline instead of premium lager for lunch.

Paul Calf

Walking. I've lost 8 stone since February by cutting down on food and walking 8 miles a day.

Konki

Quote from: surreal on November 21, 2019, 02:52:02 PM
You only need 5 types:

https://www.gq.com/story/five-moves-full-body-workout?mbid=recirc_RSS_topentries

Only 4 really required: push, pull, squat and hip hinge. If you're squatting and hinging heavy your core won't need any extra work.

More basically squat, bench press and deadlift should really be enough.

Blue Jam

I hate exercise because it's hard and it's boring. I have to do it though, so I recently got myself a fitness class-only membership at a gym and for the last couple of months I've been doing RPM (spin) classes, BodyPump, yoga, and some mad class called Pound which uses weighted drumsticks.

I'm trying to keep things varied so I don't get bored, because that's what happened after I did yoga for four years. The Les Mills classes (RPM, BodyPump etc) seem to be working out for me so far because they're all set to music and pretty fast-paced which is good because I have no attention span and need something to distract me. The classes can even be quite fun, although the person at Les Mills who puts the playlists together seems to really, really like George Ezra.

Not lost much weight yet but I now have pins of steel. Really I think the biggest thing is not being on Prozac anymore and being on new medication which doesn't make me feel absolutely fucking ravenous all the time.

Interval training was the only way to make cardio even barely tolerable when I started from probably the same position you're in. Jogging for 2 mins, walking for 1 min, repeat for 10-15 mins for starters was just more doable than plodding for the same time straight off. Having said that I don't do anything any more other than lift weights in my cold, lonely garage.

Cardenio I

I mean, if you're genuine the real trick is finding something you enjoy, or at least can tolerate enough to stick at. Since I'm not you (for one thing, I am svelte and fulfilled) I can't very well answer can I, you roly-poly little wastrel.

Some options:
a) Join a gym and start lifting weights. Good if you don't like cardio, though not necessarily the best for losing weight. Start on a simple program (lots avilable online, can recommend if you want) and go from there. Definitely a good entrypoint into regular exercising, especially in the winter when the thought of going for a run is pretty horrid.

b) Start running. You'll probably want some decent trainers, but they don't have to cost a bomb. If you have no-one to run with it can be quite difficult to keep your motivation high. Get an app to start tracking yourself, maybe a couch to 5k depending what level you're at. Do your local Park Run every Saturday.

c) Join a class. Find a sport you like, take up boxing, tennis, squash, get really into hot yoga, start doing HIIT. This is the most costly option, but if you find something you really enjoy probably the most fun.

Personally, I'd recommend you start doing a basic beginners, full-body weights program Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and try and do the Park Run every Saturday- best if you can rope a friend in for motivation. It's a nice atmosphere to run in, and there'll always be somebody slower than you. It's also a cracking way to smash through a hangover, though a very do-or-die solution.

Flatulent Fox

Cycling.
Very rewarding and addictive.

Quote from: Konki on November 21, 2019, 03:18:34 PM
More basically squat, bench press and deadlift should really be enough.

If you were only limited to three moves I'd go along with those, although some would add the standing barbell press, or even substitute it for the bench press (I don't agree with that though).

dallasman

Walking is great, especially if there's a bit of nature along the way. Doing a bit more walking can even inspire healthier eating, I found. I lost about 20 kilos when I started walking more, stopped eating in the middle of the night and switched to sugar free soft drinks.

Quote from: dallasman on November 21, 2019, 03:38:13 PM
Wanking is great, especially if there's a bit of nature along the way. Doing a bit more wanking can even inspire healthier eating, I found. I lost about 20 kilos when I started wanking more, stopped eating in the middle of the night and switched to sugar free soft drinks.

Both shameful and inspiring.

gib

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 21, 2019, 03:17:46 PM
Walking. I've lost 8 stone since February by cutting down on food and walking 8 miles a day.

That is amazing, well played.