Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:38:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

what exercise is good

Started by madhair60, November 21, 2019, 02:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

If you find weightlifting boring and repetitive (like I do) then the aforementioned BodyPump (or similar) might be better for you. It's a weightlifting class set to music with moves that are easy to follow and keep up with, lots of squats and lunges and different sections for your legs, triceps, back etc. It's also about endurance weightlifting, doing lots of reps of light weights, and you canuse different combinations of weights to tailor the exercises to your own fitness level.

bgmnts

I've put on 8 stone since 16 where are my congratulations?

Chollis

is weightlifting any good for losing weight or should you stick to cardio? asking for a friend

Sin Agog

Stuff I've been doing every day since I was 14 which takes up all of 7 minutes max.  100 flaky squats.  100 flaky pushups. And 300 of something I call Humping the Invisible Woman. Makes me look like a titan.

Quote from: Chollis on November 21, 2019, 03:48:34 PM
is weightlifting any good for losing weight or should you stick to cardio? asking for a friend

You'll lose more weight by changing the way you eat than by any exercise. You'd need to walk 11 miles to burn off a medium Big Mac meal, for instance.

Chollis

yes I'm aware of that but this is the EXERCISE thread

Quote from: Chollis on November 21, 2019, 03:48:34 PM

Some people will tell you that weight training can be an effective way to lose weight (and they might be right) but I can only go on my experience, which is that I didn't see any significant weight loss until I started doing cardio (jogging, biking, boxing pad and bag work). I still much prefer the weights though.

Blue Jam

High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is supposed to be the best for weight loss, or at least that's what I was told by a personal trainer years ago. Building muscle will also increase your basal metabolic rate, because muscle uses energy even when resting while fat does relatively fuck-all.

Spin classes are essentially HIIT on an exercise bike. Most exercise bikes in gyms will also have a few interval training settings which vary the resistance and give you rest periods in between "hills". Tabata classes are also something you could look into.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on November 21, 2019, 02:45:00 PM
i'm fat and tired of being fat, slimming world is boring shit, need exercise where do i start (extremely serious answers only please)

Since the end of August I've lost a stone and a half - gone down from 11 stone to 9.5 stone.  I'm only 5'5" so 11 stone made me overweight, and honestly losing this weight has improved my mental health mainly because I am physically lighter, so can move more quickly and am generally bouncier.

All I've done to lose weight is put more committed effort into walking, and attend to the calories I'm eating.  I've always done a lot of walking anyway but I've increased the amount so I'm walking at least 14000 steps a day, which is around 6.5 to 7 miles.  Often I'll go out of my way to make that more like 15 miles, and often I'll add jogging and running into the mix.  But whatever your current walking level, just start with that and work up.  Your distance and speed will increase over time.

How many calories you should eat depends on your height and how active you are.  You can find the calculations quite easily online, and you can identify the calories of different foods either from the packaging or online if there isn't any.

Don't rush it; nothing should be painful about this and it's dangerous to starve yourself or lose weight too fast.  Get some electric weighing scales that connect via Bluetooth to an app on your phone; seeing your progress in this way can add a motivating factor.  Your weight fluctuates across the day due to your body's water content so you need to weigh yourself consistently (I always weigh myself after showering in the morning and before breakfast, stark bollock naked after shitting for minimal foreign-body weight influence) and pay attention to long-term progress rather than little variations from hour to hour.

For breakfast I have a good, minimally-processed muesli with seeds and nuts, and I add fresh fruit and linseeds.  This is great for me but I'm sure not to everyone's taste.  Don't skip breakfast as it helps to get your metabolism started in the morning.

Good luck buddy; I hope you start feeling better in yourself soon.

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 21, 2019, 03:58:27 PM
Some people will tell you that weight training can be an effective way to lose weight (and they might be right) but I can only go on my experience, which is that I didn't see any significant weight loss until I started doing cardio (jogging, biking, boxing pad and bag work). I still much prefer the weights though.

Muscles are heavy, so weight lost via fat loss can be offset by the weight gained from increased muscle mass making it feel like you've gone nowhere. It's why BMI in isolation is such an unreliable way of measuring how healthy someone is.

That's why many trainers recommend you don't bother weighing yourself at all and concentrate on taking pictures and logging weights/time/distance, etc. to measure progress.

Non Stop Dancer

Madhair, given you're a Switch owner, have you considered that Ring Fit thingy? Lot's of people here talking about it being a genuinely good workout. Maybe a good place to start? https://www.resetera.com/threads/vice-ring-fit-adventure-understands-the-shame-and-fear-of-exercise.154296/

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 21, 2019, 04:06:49 PM
Muscles are heavy, so weight lost via fat loss can be offset by the weight gained from increased muscle mass making it feel like you've gone nowhere. It's why BMI in isolation is such an unreliable way of measuring how healthy someone is.

That's why many trainers recommend you don't bother weighing yourself at all and concentrate on taking pictures and logging weights/time/distance, etc. to measure progress.

Very true. I've lifted for years and while nobody (sober) would mistake me for a bodybuilder (thank god), I did carry a certain level of muscle along with the wobbly stuff. Although I did weight myself when trying to lose weight, I used mainly the mirror and the waistband of my trousers to judge how I was doing.

Non Stop Dancer

On a separate note, Kettlebells are a brilliant combination of weight training and cardio. You'll probably find your local leisure centre do classes, but the way I got back into fitness a few years ago was buying a single 12kg kettlebell and doing the basic movements 3 times a week at home. I soon found I needed an upgrade, and got to the point of having, I think, 2 x 12kg, a 16kg and a 20kg, each of which provided the requisite level of weight for various exercises. After a few months of that I found I needed a bit more variety and joined the gym, where I don't really do much kettlebell stuff any more, but they were a brilliant base for building up some basic strength/fitness.

Plenty of good instructional stuff on youtube about it.

Edit: they cost a little bit more, but I would advise going for "competition" kettlebells over the cheaper ones, as they're easier to handle and make some exercises much easier/safer.

greenman

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 21, 2019, 04:06:49 PM

Training for moderate muscle mass or cardio I find much easier to stick to as well, you can do them at home and it only takes a few mins a day.

Exercise specifically to burn calories takes a hell of a lot of willpower given just how much time is needed doing it, personally I think most people are better off making this a lifestyle choice not a workout. If you can't change job or method of transport then take up some kind of hobby that involves getting off your arse without it being a chore, get a dog, take-up photography, etc.

poo

Just off into my cold garage to lift now, as it happens. Bench presses and barbell rows since you're asking. (Premium subscribers can watch a live stream from 17.00)

moondogs

I'm one run away from completing the couch to 5k app.

I hate exercise. I'm a chain-smoking chronic malingerer and I'm surprised and proud at the progress I've made. I also am kinda addicted to how good it makes me feel.

Even if the thought of running terrifies you, I'd highly recommend it.

Cloud

Anything  that you actually enjoy.  If you don't enjoy it, chances are you won't keep it up

I walk around all weekend doing Pokemon Go and Ingress

Kung Fu

Or if you got lung cancer

Lung Fu

Replies From View

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 21, 2019, 06:58:08 PM
Kung Fu

Or if you got lung cancer

Lung Fu

Or if you are desperately constipated etc

Bung Pu

peanutbutter

I've been doing some yoga things at home the last while on the days I don't walk silly amounts, would really love to find some yoga workout thing that doesn't require my ears though, I wanna listen to some fucking thing while wasting that time like. Is there any kind of yoga workout that manages that or do I just have to teach myself a routine?

Joining a gym and things like that are out for me. I'll buy one of those stupid expensive exercise bike before doing that (and I don't have the space for one). All going to a gym would do is completely deplete the free few hours a week that I feel like being social.

Actually, is there some kind of super small exercising bike for small apartments? That sounds like a thing that would exist...

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Chollis on November 21, 2019, 03:57:40 PM
yes I'm aware of that but this is the EXERCISE thread

Instead of getting one Big Mac get five and lift them up and down several times every time you want to take a bite

poodlefaker

All you people who have lost wait by walking a bit; what were you doing before? Being carried around in a sedan chair?

madhair60

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on November 21, 2019, 04:13:38 PM
Madhair, given you're a Switch owner, have you considered that Ring Fit thingy? Lot's of people here talking about it being a genuinely good workout. Maybe a good place to start? https://www.resetera.com/threads/vice-ring-fit-adventure-understands-the-shame-and-fear-of-exercise.154296/

i cant afford it

chveik

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 21, 2019, 08:14:07 PM
All you people who have lost wait by walking a bit; what were you doing before? Being carried around in a sedan chair?

I was depressed, rarely left my home.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 21, 2019, 03:17:46 PM
Walking. I've lost 8 stone since February by cutting down on food and walking 8 miles a day.

Echoing the 'fucking hell' sentiment, nice one.  Hope you have an old-style diet pic of you standing in your old trousers.

Anyone wanting to incorporate resistance training but isn't interested in weights could do worse than consider exercise bands. They're relatively safe to use, cheap, light and portable so you can use them at home or stick them in your bag if you go travelling. They're no substitute for free weights if you want to build powerlifter type strength but they do provide resistance for your muscles to work against - the basis of strength training.