Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:39:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Daddio: The Second Youth Of R. Stevie Moore

Started by PaulTMA, November 22, 2019, 05:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

spaghetamine

This thread has prompted me to finally have a perusal of his stuff; I'm a big Ariel Pink fan and I'm lying in bed in my knickers so why not eh?

And wow. Been listening for about half an hour, first to some of phonography and then glad music. Some of it is really clicking with me, not hard to see what an influence it is on Pink. Some really inspired production for what was presumably recorded in quite a rudimentary fashion. Look forward to watching that doc.

Any recommendations album or song wise?

NoSleep

My introduction to him came from these two compilations (now both available on archive.org):

Hobbies Galore - His Best Sixteen

Tra La La La Phooey!

There's a few more links to various things Stevie on there, too:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=r.%20stevie%20moore

What I love about R. Stevie Moore is that the "lo-fi" thing is no part of his style, as he casts his musical net wide. He decided to go it independently to have the freedom to not be confined to a sound or a market. His father was a session bass player in Nashville and I think Stevie probably learnt that the music business was something to shun if you loved music like he did, so the early adoption of home studio recording (and releasing albums on cassette) was a necessity for him.

imitationleather

I really like the album he did with Ariel Pink but I've never actually listened to any of his stuff proper. Time to change that...

Fuck me there's bloody loads of it. Where to start?

NoSleep

Famous Mortimer

I love R Stevie, and I'm bummed I wasn't aware of this documentary until now.

Quote from: imitationleather on December 16, 2019, 04:48:54 PM
I really like the album he did with Ariel Pink but I've never actually listened to any of his stuff proper. Time to change that...

Fuck me there's bloody loads of it. Where to start?

As a first time listener today I've enjoyed the aforementioned Phonography, Glad Music and now one called Delicate Tension. A bit like with Pink (who is one of the artist I most admire) I think maybe I wont like albums in their entirety, but being blown away by a selection of gems on each album. Definitely how I feel about albums like Before today and PomPom. I didn't realise how big an influence this guy is on Pink as well, often hes really wearing it on his sleeve

Crabwalk

So Be It, his record with Jason Falkner, is one of my favourites from the last few years, so don't miss that one.

hummingofevil

Don't forget his The Beatles covers. I absolutely adore his version of She Said. That guitar... swoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mcyXTxGW1s

There are better quality rips of it out there. Go listen.

spaghetamine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWPL6ZIFtbY

His cover of Chantilly Lace is wonderfully daft. A friend of a friend was fortunate enough to collaborate with him a few years back which I remain insanely jealous of to this day.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I remember seeing R. Stevie Moore live by the River Moskva. He was clearly pissed. The support act was a ping- pong tournament. He had some decent between song banter, delivered in his lovely, lilting Donald Sutherland- like tones, but far too much of his material reminded me of Ariel Pink, and that is not a good thing.

Has anyone actually seen the documentary? Would like to know if it's worth bothering getting a Now tv trial for...man I love this guy. I think Glad Music is a stunning piece of work from start to finish. It's crazy that even now you can still find obscure overlooked diamonds like R Stevie Moore. Makes me happy :)