Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:40:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good things that happened to you this decade

Started by Dannyhood91, November 22, 2019, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyhood91

I've been feeling a bit low so I want to start something positive.

1. I spent a large part of it as a massive alcoholic and finally got properly sober

2. I've had mental problems my entire life and have learnt to deal with them and actually got properly diagnosed

3. I've got to see some of my friends fall in love and have children

4. I had my creativity nurtured by brilliant people, performed some of my short stories live and had people in tears at some of the sadder ones and eventually got published

5. Finally saw New York where I think my outlook on life changed for the better in a way I'm yet to properly articulate

6. Developed a pretty good fashion sense and come to accept I'm actually fairly decent looking after years of hiding it

7. Learned more about the side of my family from the West Indies and felt more connected to that part of my ethnicity

8. Had one truly great love that although I've had that relationship end I'm eternally greatful for it.

9. Got to see my hero, Prince perform live.

9 1/2. Seen loads and loads of great gigs

10. Starting from the end of the last decade and petering out around 2012, I went to some amazing parties and took loads of drugs and hung out with local musicians in the uk hip hop scene, been in studios and seen music made and just been a general fly on the wall of a scene I truly love

What about you?

Dannyhood91

If this reads a bit off it's because I wrote it out on my phone lol

PlanktonSideburns

sounds a great decade! good job

that list makes you sound quite sexy also

my decades been v decent, wont list it tho

Dannyhood91

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 22, 2019, 11:01:30 PM
sounds a great decade! good job

that list makes you sound quite sexy also

my decades been v decent, wont list it tho

But you have to mate I'm tellin u

imitationleather

Got to see three World Cups. That's the most you can possibly watch in one decade.

2010 was total arse grapes, though.

Dannyhood91

Quote from: imitationleather on November 22, 2019, 11:03:26 PM
Got to see three World Cups. That's the most you can possibly watch in one decade.

2010 was total arse grapes, though.

I've had a lot of horrible horrible things happen this decade as well as good things but I'm glad you saw three world cups xx

imitationleather

peanutbutter

I lived almost all of it away from the shithole I grew up in after hardly ever getting out of it for the two decades before that, and if anything I realised that place was even worse than I always thought.

That's kind of it tbh, enough to make it the best decade of my life so far...

- Leicester winning the Premier League was good though
- CM Punk's 2011 was too
- I had a few super brief friendships and relationships where I occasionally felt happy, like enough to keep motivated a bit
- I guess I had some patches that came very close to serious depressive slumps and managed to pull myself out each time

Dex Sawash

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on November 22, 2019, 10:56:12 PM
6. Developed a pretty good fashion sense and come to accept I'm actually fairly decent looking after years of hiding it

Who told you that, your mum?

Dannyhood91

Quote7. Learned more about the side of my family from the West Indies and felt more connected to that part of my ethnicity

Oh, so you're a black man now? An undiscovered handsome creative genius, and also a secret black man?

Get over yourself please.

Cerys

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 22, 2019, 11:25:10 PM
Stumbled on cookdandbombd.co.uk

Did Neil not put it away after everyone had gone home?  I call that irresponsible.  The least he could have done was put up some warning signs or something.  Maybe had a sentry of some kind keeping everyone out of danger, through the medium of Polish Arthouse Dancing.

oy vey

Quote5. Finally saw New York where I think my outlook on life changed for the better in a way I'm yet to properly articulate

No need to mate. Leave something to the imagination of the reader.

You fucking perv, all 12 of them?

He was perched, buttocks akimbo, on Epstein's kneecap.

weekender

Managed to end up with £1m of equity and a cat.

Wanted a dog, fuck my life etc.

thenoise

10 years closer to the sweet release of death

Got married
Had a baby
Gave up my shitty admin job that I had resigned myself to the idea of doing forever
Returned to university after 12 years
Voted for Corbyn to be leader of the Labour Party and helped secure his resounding victory in the general election (to do)

Bently Sheds

• Got on the bus with me daysaver.
  • Smoked the reefer in the corner.
  • Laid low.
  • Did a Grand Theft Auto in a '06 V6 Clio Twin Turbo.

PlanktonSideburns

2006 - 2016

got married

got a degree

learnt to video edit

got happy with the idea of being old

developed a certain amount of money sense

moved to a house with an oven burner with sufficient btu s to do a stirfry

SteveDave

In order:

Moved to London
Got dumped from a great height
Met my now wife
Released an LP
Played around Europe
Got engaged
Played in New York
Got my wife pregnant
Got married
Had the baby
Released another LP
Played around Europe again
Haven't died yet despite several close shaves

Gulftastic

Saw The Rhinos win the treble.
Managed to last nearly the whole decade on incapacity benefit. A glorious time.
Otherwise, fuck all.

buttgammon

Got my degree
Got together with my girlfriend
Moved to Ireland
Got my Masters
Started my PhD
Started teaching

Managed to go to eight countries I'd never visited before, read loads of books, take loads of drugs and drink loads of beer in the process. A good decade!

Cerys

ProvanFan

Avoided marriage
Constipated on four continents
Packet of wines gums with unlikely number of greens (can't remember precisely but it was loads)
Three world cups

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Shagged a few fit birds
Saw some good gigs by The Fall
Saw some good gigs by other bands
Ate some really nice bacon sarnies
Saw some top temples in Cambodia, and that

Dannyhood91

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 23, 2019, 12:55:39 AM
Oh, so you're a black man now? An undiscovered handsome creative genius, and also a secret black man?

Get over yourself please.

My dads black but I was raised by my white mum in a white area. I've never really had him in my life but I spent part of last summer at his sisters house and learnt loads about my family history. Why does me experiencing good things upset you? I've had a lot of negative things happen this year which I tend to dwell on a lot, probably more negative than positive but I'm trying to share the positive and get other people to share their positives too. Sorry if I came off as smug be she's it wasn't my intention.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on November 23, 2019, 12:57:39 PM
My dads black but I was raised by my white mum in a white area. I've never really had him in my life but I spent part of last summer at his sisters house and learnt loads about my family history. Why does me experiencing good things upset you? I've had a lot of negative things happen this year which I tend to dwell on a lot, probably more negative than positive but I'm trying to share the positive and get other people to share their positives too. Sorry if I came off as smug be she's it wasn't my intention.

You didn't come off as smug, he was just being needlessly cunty. And your list made me smile a lot, I'm glad so many good things have happened to you.

Mine:
Finally got a job / career that I enjoy.
Had a five year relationship, most of which was a really happy time for me.
Tried my hand at stand up and did about 80-ish gigs, I wasn't that great but it was a fun time.
Started a blog which has led to seeing a fuck load of comedy for free.
Made several very, very strong friendships.
Now weed free for the first time in 20 odd years.
Wrote a novel which several people didn't like that much, but hey, hopefully when I do the next draft it'll be better.
I'm currently on the lowest amount of anti-depressants in about 13 years.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 23, 2019, 01:52:08 PM
he was just being needlessly cunty.

But there is a need. Unless you think he should go prancing through life like Little Lord Fauntleroy, publishing a neverending embarrassment to himself.