Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

waiting for disorganised bastards to show up

Started by PlanktonSideburns, November 23, 2019, 02:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 24, 2019, 11:23:05 PM
I prefer it when my friends are late. In fact, I'd prefer it if they didn't turn up at all so I could sit on my own and drink for a couple of hours without having to engage with anyone.

You joke, right, but we get babysitters once a month and go for dinner. Last week at dinner, babysitter calls "he's crying and going mad", so we flipped a coin. It came up heads, so she goes back to our apartment to deal with him. We only live round the corner from the place, so we hold our table and let our server know.

I got 35 minutes of sitting at a table in an ok restaurant on my own and it was fucking wonderful. They had a lovely beer on tap, and I managed to get 2 glasses down me before my wife returned.

Now, the rest of the evening was also lovely (of course), but 35 minutes, uninterrupted, on my phone, no one to ask me for anything, nice beer on tap? I was misty eyed with joy. Welling up just thinking about it now tbh.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 24, 2019, 07:07:26 PM
are you joshing me? bursters? aldi? what kind of oven we talking about here?

Fan oven. Middle shelf. 200 for 30 to 35 min.

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on November 24, 2019, 07:13:22 PM
Yes this always happens to me too. I pour it over the top afterwards. I used to like these little Kiev balls, do they still do those? I don't remember the balls bursting..

I'm usually doing some chips with it. so I move the chips around on the baking tray until they've soaked up the Kiev juice.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Loving the Punctuality/Kievs thread split.

Call me dull but I think it is just basic respect to meet at the agreed time or as near as damn it or explain at a stage likely to reduce the inconvenience as much as possible to the other person if you can't make it.

The people I have known to be hopelessly late nearly every time were all lacking in respect for other people. One was sheer 'I can get away with this' arrogance, another I remember was a combo of disinterested and personal disorganisation. I never met her anywhere where she wasn't flustered and rushing.

Ham Bap

I've had people who either don't bother turning up or turn up hours late in my life before.
I've found the sooner you bin them off the better, and as soon as you do it you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Honestly just fuck them.
Unless you actually do like hours and hours of your precious life and free time wasted sat by yourself checking the time, trying not to look out of place and feeling like a weirdo.
They will never change.
Fuck them.

Cerys

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 24, 2019, 08:54:38 AM
The trick is to roast them en papillote.

Doesn't the butterfly get annoyed if you do that?

Endicott

It has an effect but to say it is annoyed is going too far.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 25, 2019, 01:15:45 AM
Fan oven. Middle shelf. 200 for 30 to 35 min.

I'm usually doing some chips with it. so I move the chips around on the baking tray until they've soaked up the Kiev juice.

yea your oven sounds the same as me - maybe ive just been lucky

oh man, i want to have a burst kiev and chips situation on my hands!

where are the best burstable kievs from?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 25, 2019, 07:33:46 AM
Loving the Punctuality/Kievs thread split.

Call me dull but I think it is just basic respect to meet at the agreed time or as near as damn it or explain at a stage likely to reduce the inconvenience as much as possible to the other person if you can't make it.

The people I have known to be hopelessly late nearly every time were all lacking in respect for other people. One was sheer 'I can get away with this' arrogance, another I remember was a combo of disinterested and personal disorganisation. I never met her anywhere where she wasn't flustered and rushing.

yea this. said bastard has breifly mentioned something about life being busy in his half arsed responses, - imgane having a lot on your plate? poor bastard

needless to say, his facebook is turgid with newage motivaitional posters about respect and empathy

going to start vetting peoples social media and cancelling any meetings with anyone with a post of marlyn monroe overlaid over a mandala

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ham Bap on November 25, 2019, 08:35:44 AM
I've had people who either don't bother turning up or turn up hours late in my life before.
I've found the sooner you bin them off the better, and as soon as you do it you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Honestly just fuck them.
Unless you actually do like hours and hours of your precious life and free time wasted sat by yourself checking the time, trying not to look out of place and feeling like a weirdo.
They will never change.
Fuck them.

i think i used to like indulging these wankers and do not any more, - time to fuck some people off

people are like kievs - if they keep bursting on you, you gotta either get some chips down, or fuck on down to aldi

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

also - to any late arriving bastards reading this: if you do fuck up basic time and transportation managment, - being very over apologetic and obviously embarrassed about it goes a long way with me: do this, rather than try and play it cool. bit of grovelling goes a long way

Neville Chamberlain

Got a friend who's always bloody late to everything, but I can never get angry with him when he finally trundles up with his chirpy Brummy demeanour.

Cerys

Quote from: Endicott on November 25, 2019, 08:55:20 AM
It has an effect but to say it is annoyed is going too far.

Clearly you don't give butterflies the respect they deserve.

Icehaven

When we were looking for a new singer for my band we had one guy arrange to come along for a try-out. First rehearsal was fine, he sang OK, we all had a chat, he seemed friendly enough but was a bit over zealous, turned out he'd never been in a band before but did a lot of karaoke in his local, and he had this weird half-story about how he was an ex-policeman but had 'had' to quit for some reason (we didn't ask), anyway we arranged for him to come to the next practice and he went off saying he was looking forward to it.

No one heard from him in the intervening days, we sent a few messages checking if he was still coming but didn't get a response so we were a bit doubtful, and sure enough an hour into the next rehearsal he still hadn't turned up or messaged so we just presumed that was that, another timewaster. Then about half an hour later, so an hour and a half late, he wandered into the studio with two friends in tow, no apology whatsoever and no explanation as to who these other people are and why they're there. (He was about 45-50ish and these friends were in their early 20s, so it was a bit peculiar.) The two of them just stood there silently watching us all while he flapped about sorting the microphone out. Anyway we did a few covers, and he had one of the friends film him on his phone (not the rest of us, just him), then they all suddenly left, and we never heard from him again, although as soon as he'd gone we'd all agreed we didn't want him coming back anyway, even leaving aside the hideous manners something was just off about him.

In hindsight we think he just wanted some kind of audition recording, maybe to get karaoke gigs or to give the impression he was in a band or something, fuck knows. There was no way we'd have given him the keys to the studio either, I'd watched the blood vessel in our guitarists temple practically burst when the two friends walked in as he's got thousands of pounds of guitars, amps and other paraphernalia in there so is understandably quite wary about who knows what's there and has access etc. If you're ever in a karaoke bar and see a skinny 50odd year old doing a pretty bad Axl Rose impression, then don't invite him to audition for your band. 

alan nagsworth

Yes, as others have said, it's a matter of basic respect. I've detailed this elsewhere on here before but I almost had 12 year solid friendship in the toilet because the other party was constantly late to everything. Complete disregard for anyone else's experience as a result of their tardiness, would never apologise or even give a heads up if they were going to be late, always bounded in as the life and soul of the party as if nothing was wrong. How the FUCK can you sit on public transport for an hour and not think to open your messages and let people know? WHAT ARE YOU FUCKING DOING

It became insufferable for me as we go to gigs together almost weekly and I'd always be waiting at least 30 minutes, which is difficult when you want to grab a couple pints before heading into the venue and catch up with your friend and instead they turn up when it's time to head in and you honestly might as well have just been there on your own, standing in a noisy room and not conversing.

I've not seen them as much recently, coincidentally they moved to a farther flung area of the city around the time I gave them a huge lecture on their conduct, but I don't really think anything has changed since. I rather extensively went into how disrespectful it came across to everyone, because it gives off the impression they don't give a shit about their friends and they can bowl through life doing whatever they want, but one day no one will bother calling them. I even stopped doing that myself. Went all like Marge in the episode where Bart is caught stealing. Cold, uncaring, "I'll be here at this time. See you later."

It baffles me how anyone would want to waste so much of not just everyone else's time but also their own by being a complete fucking faff artist.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 25, 2019, 09:35:31 AM
yea your oven sounds the same as me - maybe ive just been lucky

oh man, i want to have a burst kiev and chips situation on my hands!

where are the best burstable kievs from?

Aldi or Lidl.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 25, 2019, 09:39:01 AM
yea this. said bastard has breifly mentioned something about life being busy in his half arsed responses, - imgane having a lot on your plate? poor bastard

Imagine having so much kiev on your plate that by the time you'd eaten it you were late for your next thing.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 25, 2019, 12:32:56 PM
Aldi or Lidl.

Yea youve got them from same place as me. am i just some sort of idiot kiev savant?

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 25, 2019, 12:32:56 PM
Imagine having so much kiev on your plate that by the time you'd eaten it you were late for your next thing.

time managment issue there - do your things of the day, THEN  kievs.

kievs are to be eaten when theres no one else in the house, youve drawn the curtains, blasted the central heating and youre in your sweatpants

the idea of doing anything with the day AFTER making yourself kievs is ridiculous, id rather that you didnt turn up at all than turn up to a meeting goofed up to the eyeballs on processed breadbird and garlic seepage

Ferris

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 25, 2019, 11:56:28 AM
Yes, as others have said, it's a matter of basic respect. I've detailed this elsewhere on here before but I almost had 12 year solid friendship in the toilet because the other party was constantly late to everything. Complete disregard for anyone else's experience as a result of their tardiness, would never apologise or even give a heads up if they were going to be late, always bounded in as the life and soul of the party as if nothing was wrong. How the FUCK can you sit on public transport for an hour and not think to open your messages and let people know? WHAT ARE YOU FUCKING DOING

It became insufferable for me as we go to gigs together almost weekly and I'd always be waiting at least 30 minutes, which is difficult when you want to grab a couple pints before heading into the venue and catch up with your friend and instead they turn up when it's time to head in and you honestly might as well have just been there on your own, standing in a noisy room and not conversing.

I've not seen them as much recently, coincidentally they moved to a farther flung area of the city around the time I gave them a huge lecture on their conduct, but I don't really think anything has changed since. I rather extensively went into how disrespectful it came across to everyone, because it gives off the impression they don't give a shit about their friends and they can bowl through life doing whatever they want, but one day no one will bother calling them. I even stopped doing that myself. Went all like Marge in the episode where Bart is caught stealing. Cold, uncaring, "I'll be here at this time. See you later."

It baffles me how anyone would want to waste so much of not just everyone else's time but also their own by being a complete fucking faff artist.

Yes. I have a friend who does this - I tell him I will be at [place] for 2.30, but I'll actually arrive at 3 which works. Silly, but there you go.

alan nagsworth

I certainly considered that, but then they win. It's not much extra work on your part, but it is extra work all the same.

Panbaams

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 25, 2019, 03:06:21 PM
Yes. I have a friend who does this - I tell him I will be at [place] for 2.30, but I'll actually arrive at 3 which works. Silly, but there you go.

If we invite both my parents and my in-laws over for a meal, we have to give them separate times. My dad's a bit time-obsessive (a lifetime of making appointments working as a sales rep) so if you say "nothing fixed, any time from 12", they're there at 12 on the dot. My father-in-law does things in his own sweet time – he's been retired a few years but there's always some vitally important email he needs to fire off, or some other piece of office faff – and they leave at 12 at the earliest, and get to ours an hour or so later.

Ferris

It is extra work, but it's the price you pay to hang out with that friend and you make a case by case decision on whether that's worth it. Telling them the wrong time by 30-60 minutes is ok, and if they are only 45 minutes late and end up sitting around for your for 15 minutes, then they get a taste of their own medicine and it might even prompt them to change over time.

Captain Z

I used to think this was me, I went through a phase where I increasingly became aware I was often the last one to turn up, particularly within a group of work friends/colleagues. But it was only ever by a matter of minutes, and not in time-critical situations. I also can't think of any time I ever left an individual waiting. These days I've either made more of an effort or the people around me have become less organised, so typically I just tend to give them 25-35 minutes at a sensible temperature and judge the last few minutes by sight as to whether they're done. With all that said I do find them a bit too garlicky and certainly haven't eaten one in the last 3 or 4 years.

ProvanFan

Being stuck with another punctual bore while you wait on the charismatic friend arriving. You would've turned up fashionably late too if only you weren't so bored of your own company at home.

Ham Bap

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 25, 2019, 09:40:41 AM
i think i used to like indulging these wankers and do not any more, - time to fuck some people off

people are like kievs - if they keep bursting on you, you gotta either get some chips down, or fuck on down to aldi

I binned a friend of 15+ years. Won't go into it all, but not turning up at all or cancelling at the last minute when I've already organised my whole day around this couple of hours. Getting out of work early or a babysitter or a precious day of Christmas holidays.

That person was always like that but I'm not 20 anymore, I have a life and other priorities to sort first.
The last time I was meant to meet them in a pub before Christmas. Total no-show. That was it.
I know what they're like too, 'couldn't be bothered' probably the reason. He was invited to my wedding too but didn't come, I got 4 different excuses for that.
There's always an excuse with some people.

Met them 2 years ago in a pub in Christmas Eve. Felt obliged to swap mobile numbers.
I made a point of saying to give me a call if you want to meet up or anything. They swung it round to me organising something. Yeah no thanks, been there done that, more time wasted.
I honestly wish I hadve organised to meet up and then not turned up myself.
Irony is they wouldn't have turned up either. 

Jockice

Right, I am one of those disorganised bastards but my body has a lovely habit of making it difficult for me to get there in time. It'll go: "Tell you what, why don't you have to go for 15 pisses before you leave the house? You know you want to. And then which knee would you like to give way when you try to put weight on it today sir? Because I realise you're in a hurry but you don't really want to arrive early, do you?''

So I always make clear, if we're just going to the pub or something, that I will be there at an approximate time. ASAP. It can be a bit difficult if I really have to be there at a certain time. I said I'd pick someone up before a funeral not that long ago and ended up having to crawl to my car on hands and knees (while wearing a suit on a damp day) in order to get to her house at time.

Some people have got angry on occasions when I have been late but they really should be used to it by now. If there was a way of speeding up I'd have utilised it but putting me under pressure is likely to affect the outcome in a negative way.

BUT to be fair, I have no problem with hanging around if the other person/people are late/later than me (it does happen sometimes) so I'm not hypocritical in that way. I can only think of two occasions in my entire life when I've got angry at someone being late. Which I'm now going to tell you about cos I'm still annoyed at them.

One of these was when I was going up to a party in Liverpool.and was staying at a friend's, who had told me she had to (and stressed really had to) leave the house at 7pm. It takes about two hours to drive up there so I said I'd pick up a mate who was coming with me at half four. I got to his house and beeped the horn, he came out and said he was just going to phone his girlfriend (pre-mobile days) and would be out in a few minutes. Which was more than 20 minutes. He eventually came out and bashfully said he'd had a row with her. Tough shit mate. I'd sort of managed to calm down by then but a few minutes earlier I'd been punching the steering wheel. It was a very awkward journey up there (I was fucking seething) but we (only just) made it there in time.

The other was a similar situation but worse. A wedding at 3pm n a town I'd never been to in my life (Lichfield) and was about an hour and a half's drive away. And we had to find and book into the guest house and get changed before finding and getting to the church on time. Again, pre-mobile days. So I told the friend I was taking (a female this time) I'd be round at her place at midday. Which I was but her housemate answered the door and told me she'd gone to the hairdressers. What the fuck? So after waiting around, this time for almost an hour, she arrived back, feigning ignorance of the fact that I'd told her the previous day that we'd be setting off at noon and we finally got going.

Of course once we arrived in Lichfield we could find neither the guest house nor the church and to make it even worse I was absolutely bursting for a pee. So for her to say: "Well, it's nobody's fault really, is it?" wasn't really a good move. As she discovered when I slammed the brakes on, slammed my hands down on the  steering wheel and shouted: "WELL, IT'S CERTAINLY NOT MY FUCKING FAULT!"

By this time I genuinely couldn't wait any longer so I pulled up at the side of the road, leapt our of the car and started having a piss on a patch of grass. Halfway through I head voices. I looked round and saw a family of cyclists including small children who had stopped next to the car. Yes, this was the moment that *** thought was best to ask for directions.

Anyway, again we made it to the guest house with just enough time to get changed and to the church just as the ceremony started. So all'w well that ends well I suppose. But still, GRRRRRRRRR.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 25, 2019, 03:06:21 PM

Did this for one mate for a whole year, would arrange rehearsals at his house an hour earlier than we would actually show up, he was reliably unreliable.

I think only once in the year he was actually there on time, baffled as to how we missed a whole hour of rehearsal. We just shrugged and said nothing

And this was at HIS OWN HOUSE. THAT HE LIVED IN

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ham Bap on November 25, 2019, 05:23:17 PM
I binned a friend of 15+ years. Won't go into it all, but not turning up at all or cancelling at the last minute when I've already organised my whole day around this couple of hours. Getting out of work early or a babysitter or a precious day of Christmas holidays.

That person was always like that but I'm not 20 anymore, I have a life and other priorities to sort first.
The last time I was meant to meet them in a pub before Christmas. Total no-show. That was it.
I know what they're like too, 'couldn't be bothered' probably the reason. He was invited to my wedding too but didn't come, I got 4 different excuses for that.
There's always an excuse with some people.

Met them 2 years ago in a pub in Christmas Eve. Felt obliged to swap mobile numbers.
I made a point of saying to give me a call if you want to meet up or anything. They swung it round to me organising something. Yeah no thanks, been there done that, more time wasted.
I honestly wish I hadve organised to meet up and then not turned up myself.
Irony is they wouldn't have turned up either.

I feel that. An old old friend didn't turn up for my wedding, complaining that I couldn't organise a lift for him there and back. Was quite a busy time mate, sorry. Don't bother with him no more

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Jockice on November 25, 2019, 06:43:36 PM
Right, I am one of those disorganised bastards but my body has a lovely habit of making it difficult for me to get there in time. It'll go: "Tell you what, why don't you have to go for 15 pisses before you leave the house? You know you want to. And then which knee would you like to give way when you try to put weight on it today sir? Because I realise you're in a hurry but you don't really want to arrive early, do you?''

So I always make clear, if we're just going to the pub or something, that I will be there at an approximate time. ASAP. It can be a bit difficult if I really have to be there at a certain time. I said I'd pick someone up before a funeral not that long ago and ended up having to crawl to my car on hands and knees (while wearing a suit on a damp day) in order to get to her house at time.

Some people have got angry on occasions when I have been late but they really should be used to it by now. If there was a way of speeding up I'd have utilised it but putting me under pressure is likely to affect the outcome in a negative way.

BUT to be fair, I have no problem with hanging around if the other person/people are late/later than me (it does happen sometimes) so I'm not hypocritical in that way. I can only think of two occasions in my entire life when I've got angry at someone being late. Which I'm now going to tell you about cos I'm still annoyed at them.

One of these was when I was going up to a party in Liverpool.and was staying at a friend's, who had told me she had to (and stressed really had to) leave the house at 7pm. It takes about two hours to drive up there so I said I'd pick up a mate who was coming with me at half four. I got to his house and beeped the horn, he came out and said he was just going to phone his girlfriend (pre-mobile days) and would be out in a few minutes. Which was more than 20 minutes. He eventually came out and bashfully said he'd had a row with her. Tough shit mate. I'd sort of managed to calm down by then but a few minutes earlier I'd been punching the steering wheel. It was a very awkward journey up there (I was fucking seething) but we (only just) made it there in time.

The other was a similar situation but worse. A wedding at 3pm n a town I'd never been to in my life (Lichfield) and was about an hour and a half's drive away. And we had to find and book into the guest house and get changed before finding and getting to the church on time. Again, pre-mobile days. So I told the friend I was taking (a female this time) I'd be round at her place at midday. Which I was but her housemate answered the door and told me she'd gone to the hairdressers. What the fuck? So after waiting around, this time for almost an hour, she arrived back, feigning ignorance of the fact that I'd told her the previous day that we'd be setting off at noon and we finally got going.

Of course once we arrived in Lichfield we could find neither the guest house nor the church and to make it even worse I was absolutely bursting for a pee. So for her to say: "Well, it's nobody's fault really, is it?" wasn't really a good move. As she discovered when I slammed the brakes on, slammed my hands down on the  steering wheel and shouted: "WELL, IT'S CERTAINLY NOT MY FUCKING FAULT!"

By this time I genuinely couldn't wait any longer so I pulled up at the side of the road, leapt our of the car and started having a piss on a patch of grass. Halfway through I head voices. I looked round and saw a family of cyclists including small children who had stopped next to the car. Yes, this was the moment that *** thought was best to ask for directions.

Anyway, again we made it to the guest house with just enough time to get changed and to the church just as the ceremony started. So all'w well that ends well I suppose. But still, GRRRRRRRRR.

Yea if you're telling people you can't do a precise time, they're the knobs in that situation, sounds like your mates are not listening to you properly

Ham Bap

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 26, 2019, 05:10:45 AM
I feel that. An old old friend didn't turn up for my wedding, complaining that I couldn't organise a lift for him there and back. Was quite a busy time mate, sorry. Don't bother with him no more

Yeah it stung that. I know why he didint turn up, the day didn't suit him and he couldn't be bothered to put the effort in. Yeah sorry mate this is meant to be mine and my wife's day, not yours for once.
The worst thing is that I still carried on being friends after that, then he continued with the no-shows when we were supposed to meet up.
Was only when I was at my brothers wedding when people travelled all distances to be there and I saw how true friends are supposed to be, that I caught myself on.
Never again with these type of people.