Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:41:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris Newcastle Q&A 2nd December

Started by Captain Crunch, November 23, 2019, 09:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

BlodwynPig

Fuck sake, pick the day im in facking milton keynes.

There is no God!!!!!!

imitationleather

BlodwynPig

Bastards

Too good to come to a meet but for chris morris...

Captain Crunch

Right see you tomorrow then? 

Shame they don't do kidneys on toast in the cafe anymore we could have made a night of it. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Captain Crunch on December 01, 2019, 08:01:25 PM
Right see you tomorrow then? 

Shame they don't do kidneys on toast in the cafe anymore we could have made a night of it.

gotta cheek not turning up to the (cancelled) official meet

hummingofevil

We'll I really loved that. I thought the film was way better than the general tone of the discussion about it on here and the Q&A was rather lovely. He talked quite generally about the type of cases the film was influenced by and dropped in 3 or 4 very funny little details and one liners.

The only thing I felt a bit was a bit disappointing was that in response to being asked if it is more difficult to make satire he seemed to suggest that one of the reasons he steers away is not knowing if an audience would have his back "Who are MY people?". It's entirely up to him what he does with his life but I do find that a bit of a shame. I suppose if you look back at all of his "shocking" work previously it all had some kind of objectively good aim to it (e.g. Four Lions taking the piss out of terrorists, Brass Eye being a wake up to gullible celebrities, Paedogedden was ABOUT the excesses of the press).

I can totally see why he wouldn't want to be on the end of a shit storm from Trump/Tory/Farage/Brexit/Remain/etc supporters but it would be nice if he was able to launch into an all out take down of the systems. Not to be I suppose. Oh well.

Loved the film.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 02, 2019, 09:45:08 PM
We'll I really loved that. I thought the film was way better than the general tone of the discussion about it on here and the Q&A was rather lovely. He talked quite generally about the type of cases the film was influenced by and dropped in 3 or 4 very funny little details and one liners.

The only thing I felt a bit was a bit disappointing was that in response to being asked if it is more difficult to make satire he seemed to suggest that one of the reasons he steers away is not knowing if an audience would have his back "Who are MY people?". It's entirely up to him what he does with his life but I do find that a bit of a shame. I suppose if you look back at all of his "shocking" work previously it all had some kind of objectively good aim to it (e.g. Four Lions taking the piss out of terrorists, Brass Eye being a wake up to gullible celebrities, Paedogedden was ABOUT the excesses of the press).

I can totally see why he wouldn't want to be on the end of a shit storm from Trump/Tory/Farage/Brexit/Remain/etc supporters but it would be nice if he was able to launch into an all out take down of the systems. Not to be I suppose. Oh well.

Loved the film.

Realistically, though, he'd be more likely to be on the end of a shit storm from Twitter et al. if he were to do that kind of stuff now. Even something like Nathan Barley would probably be seen as "old white man not getting it". I don't know if the Daily Mail types even really bother with it all the same way they used to, the internet has definitely taken over in that regard.

That being said, I don't think he would come back with that kind of stuff now. He seems to have an entirely different approach to his work and the kind of things he wants to examine. Whether film is the best medium or not, I don't know, but I'd imagine he's chosen that route for a reason.

imitationleather

In the later Q&A one the questions was what his favourite Aphex Twin album is. Insightful stuff.

BlodwynPig

Should have asked him what his favourite Venetian Snares album was

BlodwynPig

I'll never get over the fact I was enduring a 6 hour journey from Milton Keynes whilst he was there.

Captain Crunch

I saw Chris Morris one night and GWAR the next.  That's 98% of my cultural landscape.  I'm now having a quiet breakdown.