Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

On the first day of Christmas, my landlord gave to me

Started by flotemysost, November 24, 2019, 10:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

... a Section 21 'no fault' eviction notice.

It's fine, he's selling rather than citing some spurious accusation against me or my flatmate, and he's giving two months' notice so it's all by the book. But fucksake, I've only been here three months, had no idea it was on the market, and I absolutely love the flat so I'm gutted.

Also, I think it's fair to say that two months' notice spanning Christmas and the new year is not the same as two months' notice any other time of year... finding the time to go to millions of disappointing viewings, and rustling up a cheeky kidney for the deposit/moving costs etc. at this time of year is going to be a delight.

I'm not going be out on the streets or vulnerable or anything, I'm lucky enough to be in a secure position financially. But how the fuck is anyone meant to handle this if they're on benefits, not in permanent work, have kids depending on them, health problems that mean they can't just be charging around viewing flats in every spare moment, etc.?

I was Googling Section 21 just to find out a bit more about where I stand legally (I'm FB friends with someone who works at Generation Rent so I often see updates about their campaigning to get it scrapped), and I made the mistake of getting sucked into a rabbit hole of reading comments on a forum for landlords - some of the comments, Jesus. I can't find the link right now but one guy was literally saying that 'everyone knows homeless people end up on the streets because they spent all their money on holidays and having fun and didn't plan for their future'. If ever there was a good time for the 'OK Boomer' meme to be invoked I feel it is now.

Anyway, I'm off to look at more leaky shitholes that cost a million pounds per second. What are your fun eviction stories?

Dr Trouser

Pretty sure you can't use a S21 if you've only been there 3 months. Isn't AST protected for first 6 months?

Others on here probably know more but it looks odd

flotemysost

I replaced a tenant who moved out mid-contract after about two years, but the other (remaining) tenant has been here for those two years, so I have a feeling that rule only stands if you're the original tenant on the contract - I'll check though, cheers.

Either way, my flatmate and I have agreed to look for somewhere together - we get on well, we're on the same sort of budget and have similar criteria, and it saves us both having to find new flatshares separately, so I don't want to screw her over.

Small Man Big Horse

Sorry to hear that flotemysost, getting evicted is shit at the best of times but so close to Christmas is fucking awful, and I hope finding somewhere isn't too horrible.

pancreas

Yes, I don't think you can be evicted after 3 months if you're not an arsonist. Check online.

Gurke and Hare

It's absolute fucking bullshit isn't it? I moved recently after getting Section 21d on a flat I'd been in for 10 years. Think you're settled do you? Tough shit, fuck off. She wanted to sell the flat, because she needed to for financial reasons. Seems to be that if people who own multiple properties need to make people homeless it must be because they spent all their money on holidays and having fun and didn't plan for their future.

The proposed Section 21 reform that was announced is presumably fucked now too isn't it? Chief Cunt isn't going to go ahead with that.

Icehaven

I'm sure you know this already but just in case you or anyone else doesn't, all letting agency fees were banned in April, so other than the deposit you shouldn't have to pay the agent or landlord anything (still other expenses involved in moving of course.) Some are still trying to pull a fast one of course though so if you encounter any don't give them a bean and report the buggers.

earl_sleek

Quote from: flotemysost on November 24, 2019, 11:28:25 AM
I replaced a tenant who moved out mid-contract after about two years, but the other (remaining) tenant has been here for those two years, so I have a feeling that rule only stands if you're the original tenant on the contract - I'll check though, cheers.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe if they had a joint assured shorthold tenancy you can't just join it - when the other tenant left that AST ended and either you both started a new joint AST, or you both now have seperate ASTs; the upshot being it's probably too soon for him to issue a Section 21 notice. Worth checking out with the other CAB, Shelter or possibly your local council.

mrpupkin

I'm also being evicted over Christmas so the landlords can gift the nearly million pound flat to their daughter. Cheers landlord lads, hope you all come to no harm and carry on being rich parasitic cunts forever.

idunnosomename

Cant build a buy to let empire without breaking a few eggs (the souls and lives of some miserable moaning tenants)

thenoise

To avoid the stress and expense of being evicted, why not buy your own place?

imitationleather

This forum is ripe for a rentier class landlord rights activist character troll.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: flotemysost on November 24, 2019, 10:14:47 AM
... a Section 21 'no fault' eviction notice.

Why did I know the answer wasn't going to be "a little present"?

idunnosomename

Quote from: thenoise on November 25, 2019, 01:23:06 PM
To avoid the stress and expense of being evicted, why not buy your own place?
thats what i keep telling my tenants! As i evict them

checkoutgirl

Quote from: flotemysost on November 24, 2019, 10:14:47 AMhow the fuck is anyone meant to handle this if they're on benefits, not in permanent work, have kids depending on them, health problems that mean they can't just be charging around viewing flats in every spare moment, etc.?

It's not too bad because often these types of people are weeded out before they're even given the flat in the first place.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: imitationleather on November 25, 2019, 01:24:23 PM
This forum is ripe for a rentier class landlord rights activist character troll.

<Danger Man klaxon sounds>

checkoutgirl

Quote from: flotemysost on November 24, 2019, 10:14:47 AM
What are your fun eviction stories?

Was evicted about a year ago. 8 years a tenant of good standing. Never missed a payment. Never asked for things to be fixed except the water pump and we'd put up with it for about 12 months before insisting on it being fixed. The workman managed to break the bath and I still didn't complain. It was a great flat, had two floors, a great view of inner city Dublin and had it's own front door. Evicted because the landlord wanted money. Boring but true.

I've heard horror stories of people being evicted 8 times in as many years and finally giving up and getting their own mortgage. After over a decade of no government investment in housing rents are very high in Dublin and you have to really shop around to get something approaching the standard you require for a reasonable amount. In my previous flat I got a letter saying the rent was being increased. I lobbed it in the bin and hoped it would go away and amazingly, it did. I wouldn't necessarily advise anyone else to try that but it worked for me.

About 20 years ago I was  chucked out of a bedsit for not having the rent on time. The next flat I was chucked out for putting a penny on the little disc that spins around in the electricity meter that gave a erroneously low account of what I owed for electricity. Don't know what I was thinking there.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 25, 2019, 01:40:52 PM
Was evicted about a year ago. 8 years a tenant of good standing. Never missed a payment. Never asked for things to be fixed except the water pump and we'd put up with it for about 12 months before insisting on it being fixed. The workman managed to break the bath and I still didn't complain. It was a great flat, had two floors, a great view of inner city Dublin and had it's own front door. Evicted because the landlord wanted money. Boring but true.

I've heard horror stories of people being evicted 8 times in as many years and finally giving up and getting their own mortgage. After over a decade of no government investment in housing rents are very high in Dublin and you have to really shop around to get something approaching the standard you require for a reasonable amount. In my previous flat I got a letter saying the rent was being increased. I lobbed it in the bin and hoped it would go away and amazingly, it did. I wouldn't necessarily advise anyone else to try that but it worked for me.

About 20 years ago I was  chucked out of a bedsit for not having the rent on time. The next flat I was chucked out for putting a penny on the little disc that spins around in the electricity meter that gave a erroneously low account on what I owed for electricity. Don't know what I was thinking there.

Is that the one overlooking noisy exercise cunts?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 25, 2019, 01:44:34 PM

Is that the one overlooking noisy exercise cunts?

I'm in that one now. I've stopped my daily (unanswered, by the way) emails to the crossfit place because it's winter so I can close my windows without passing out from the heat. But as soon as the weather warms up the window will be open and I can resume my war with the annoyingly loud fitness cunts.

Icehaven

One of the worst and most stressful things I've always found about flat hunting is when no bugger gets back to you about arranging a viewing. Apart from the frustration and aggravation of being ignored and missing out, it's the deeply disheartening knowledge that if the agents can easily afford to ignore potential tenants then they obviously aren't short of them, and you're literally competing for their attention.
Having said that it's not always the case though. When we were last looking there was a seemingly lovely flat in a nice area of Birmingham, quite cheap for the size and location with off road parking and surrounded by a leafy green park. I rang the agents and it turned out it was a three storey building where the ground floor was private flats and the 1st and 2nd floors above had just been converted into student accommodation. She sounded almost desperate on the phone and even offered to go into the rooms above the flat and walk around to show how good the soundproofing was, which it may well have been but I never found out, there was no way in hell we were going to live there. I don't really understand why it was being offered to non-students at all, presumably money has something to do with it, or maybe they couldn't get permission to turn the whole block into student halls.

Krustie Allsopp

flotemysost

Cheers for the all advice and support. It does seem you're all right re: evicting tenants only three months in, but to be honest I don't know how fruitful it would be for us to follow up on that if the place has been sold already, and I'm not sure if I've got the fight in me - normally I love a good passive aggressive email war with a lettings agent but right now I think we just want to make sure we've got somewhere to live. Think we've found somewhere anyway so that's good.

Quote from: icehaven on November 25, 2019, 01:49:58 PM
One of the worst and most stressful things I've always found about flat hunting is when no bugger gets back to you about arranging a viewing. Apart from the frustration and aggravation of being ignored and missing out, it's the deeply disheartening knowledge that if the agents can easily afford to ignore potential tenants then they obviously aren't short of them, and you're literally competing for their attention.

I find I'm getting very confused between the multitudinous Alexes, Ollies, Gareths and Daniels I'm meeting/calling from various different agencies, there's definitely been several occasions now where I've said 'nice to meet you' to someone I only saw a few hours earlier at a flat a couple of stops away. but enough about my love life eh