Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:16:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Countdown Clock on Faith No More's Official Website

Started by DrGreggles, November 24, 2019, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

So, http://www.fnm.com/ has recently started a countdown clock (currently 54 hours to go) to *something*.

Tour? Album? Fucking with the fans?

They're even being coy when you dig into the coding:

Shaky

With Patton's schedule (and even Roddy's these days) I'd be quite surprised if it's a whole new album/tour/whatever, but of course that's been the case for a long while now and they've still made time to do stuff. The core of Bottum/Gould/Bordin seemingly still messes around with new music in private so here's hoping for something to come out of that.

McFlymo

3 festivals and the first one in lovely, lovely, very close to me by bus or car, IRELAND!!

Oh this is delightful. The whiney American fans on facebook having a wee moan about not getting to see them. Oh I am rubbing my hands with glee and dancing around my living room, kicking my heels together....

Now they all know how it feels when I scan the tour dates of EVERY SINGLE BAND I LIKE and pretty much see IRELAND ... NEVER!! NEVER!!!

(almost) NEVAAARRRRRR!!!!

DrGreggles

Glebe

Quote from: McFlymo on November 26, 2019, 07:32:32 PM3 festivals and the first one in lovely, lovely, very close to me by bus or car, IRELAND!!

Saw them at the Point Depot (now the Three Arena) here in Dublin in '92. Support came L7, who played 'Enter Sandman' in between their songs.

Shaky

I might have to consider returning to the home country for this. Killing Joke are a very welcome bonus too.

dallasman

FUCK YEAH!!! I'm going to my second Faith No More show, 27 years to the day after the first. EPIC!

McFlymo

Quote from: Glebe on November 26, 2019, 08:35:11 PM
Saw them at the Point Depot (now the Three Arena) here in Dublin in '92. Support came L7, who played 'Enter Sandman' in between their songs.

Me too! My first ever gig. I was 12, I was nearly crushed to death! I lost a shirt and a shoe. I had to steal a random one from the many left scattered about the venue at the end of the gig.

Quote from: dallasman on November 27, 2019, 01:05:59 AM
FUCK YEAH!!! I'm going to my second Faith No More show, 27 years to the day after the first. EPIC!

Sunstroke '93? I was there too. I didn't venture into the mosh pit that time and stayed safely up the back, for the most part.

dallasman

Quote from: McFlymo on November 27, 2019, 03:44:46 AM
Sunstroke '93? I was there too. I didn't venture into the mosh pit that time and stayed safely up the back, for the most part.

Nah, Kalvøya (Isle of Calves) 1993, and now Tons Of Rock 2020 (my username is wrong and pointless).

But I was in the pit for sure. I now live in Oslo, but at the time, we had to travel 600 kilometers to the festival, and we were getting our money's worth. My friends and I, all huge fans at the time, were among the first people to line up in front of the stage, and stayed there to the glorious end. We saw Nirvana there the year before, and while that was a big deal and a good time, this was probably the most excited I'd ever been to see a band (which, at 17, I hadn't done a lot of, tbf). I remember a pretty girl coming up to me and asking if she could sit on my shoulders, and I said sure. I don't remember when she got on and how long she stayed, though, because the second I spotted Jim Martin stage right and pointed him out to my buddy, we flipped out like in Beatles clips. "OMG it Big Sick Ugly Jim Martin in person! It's them! It's HAPPENING!" Then The Final Countdown disco tape started, and the other four did a little workout routine before strapping in. First song was "Caffeine", if I'm not mistaken, and it was the perfect opener, and we screamed YEEEAHHH. They played "As The Worm Turns", which we hadn't dared hope for, so when that intro piped up after just a couple of numbers, that was another "dudes facing each other and screaming, jumping up and down" moment, with more still to come. The whole set was just pure joy, excitement and adrenaline, and I genuinely don't think that band were physically capable of phoning it in. Patton throwing himself off things, writhing, ripping up his throat, and the rest just levelling the ground before him like a row of tanks.

One of my all-time greatest concert experiences, and though I kept up with the band, I've never seen them live since. Now (or next summer, rather) is clearly the time. I was piqued by the countdown, then a little disappointed to hear that it was three lousy festival dates, and it was just too much of a pleasant surprise to learn that one of them is happening just across town. Tickets go on sale tomorrow apparently, so I'll see if any of the old gang are up for it.

alan nagsworth

That's a cool ass story dm. Hope to get to relive it!

dallasman

Thanks, it's looking good. I can't see all the day passes selling out the morning of release, but my main FNM buddy and I are going for it, and will get in there asap, just in case. I hardly ever go to shows, hardly ever do anything spontaneous like this, and hardly ever have anything planned for the summer, so this feels like a good investment. Back in 1993, some of us bought disposable cameras, but no pictures appear to have survived, except this one, taken as we were packing up and leaving:

Even though it's after the festival ended, I always thought this was a nice memento of the trip, and the times. That's about a third of our contingent, just chilling and getting ready for the rest of the summer. It was a time of campfires in the woods, playing guitars and nightswimming. I don't expect to relive all of that at the Tons Of Rock festival next summer, but I'm really excited about seeing Faith No More again, and I'll make sure to snap a few pictures this time - for posterity, and something to look back on misty-eyed when I'm in my sixties.

btw, I just remembered, we nearly didn't go to Kalvøya that year, because some people really wanted to see The Spin Doctors, who were playing a Danish festival. Thankfully, sanity prevailed. 

McFlymo

Great story dm!

I remember that intro of the Final Countdown disco and the members coming on and doing push ups etc at the Sunstroke '93 Festival.

I got to see FNM 2.0 in 2009 when they played Dublin. It's been my one and only experience of phoning a ticketline, just at the very second the lines were opened. I called over and over again, constantly getting a line busy beep, then ending up in a queue for about 20 minutes. When I finally got through the lady on the phone said, "We've literally got one ticket left, but your view might be obscured by a pole in the way... Do you want to take it?"

Here's me, "Yes, yes yes yes!"

Went on my own, but it was an amazing gig! I didn't have any problem seeing the band, because as soon as they started everyone got out of their seats and filled the aisles anyway.

Some clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwRiC0XHbfI&list=PLE1B39D248AF816AA

DrGreggles

The first reunion show in Brixton in 2009 was one of m favourite gig experiences ever.
I just stood there with a big grin on my fat face throughout.

alan nagsworth

Love these stories. Love that photo. Great stuff, that's all I gotta say.

Oh and I want to repeat this:

Quote from: non capisco on November 26, 2019, 09:49:41 PM
Primavera please, lads.

non capisco

Quote from: dallasman on November 27, 2019, 12:28:11 PM
One of my all-time greatest concert experiences, and though I kept up with the band, I've never seen them live since.

They still absolutely bring it, to the extent that one of my friends bought me for my 40th birthday a framed poster for the Sol Invictus tour show we went to at The Roundhouse as a permanent reminder of just how much fucking fun we had at that gig.

Glebe

Quote from: McFlymo on November 27, 2019, 03:44:46 AMMe too! My first ever gig. I was 12, I was nearly crushed to death! I lost a shirt and a shoe. I had to steal a random one from the many left scattered about the venue at the end of the gig.

I was about 16... I think I still have the ticket in my little ticket collection! I think it might have been my third ever gig, having seen Carcass earlier in the year at the long-gone McGonagles and Fugazi (supported by a pre-'Thubthumping' Chumbawumba) at the similarly-defunct SFX (a little bit of Googling has helped me establish this!). Ah, the smell of cheap shampoo and sweat, and yes, nearly getting murdered by massive tossers in Dr. Martens!

Quote from: dallasman on November 27, 2019, 12:28:11 PMThen The Final Countdown disco tape started, and the other four did a little workout routine before strapping in.

Haha, yep.

DrGreggles

Another festival date announced for Madrid in July.

DrGreggles

Shaky

DrGreggles

Fear not. It'll end up being another 6 year long world tour.

Dirty Boy

There has to be another album on the way right? Can't see Miguel signing on for another tour five years after Sol Invictus came out given he was the one who pushed them into writing new stuff in the first place.

Bungle '86 shows happening in Feb too, what the hell is going on?

dallasman

I got my ticket! In seven short months, I'll be rocking out in a field, shaking my stuff. To shorten the wait, here's another festival story I was triggered to type out...

My first ever gig. I was 12, I was nearly crushed to death! I lost a shirt and a shoe. I had to steal a random one from the many left scattered about the venue at the end of the gig.

We do have something in common: I also lost a shoe in '92. You were 12, though? That's crazy young. I was 16, and it was my first festival, and there was a big bunch of us. At the aforementioned Nirvana show, things got really crazy in the moshpit, and the band walked offstage at one point because of people throwing plastic bottles. I'm pretty sure it was during Teen Spirit that someone stepped down on my shoe, and off it went, in among the stomping legs and flattened plastic. Luckily, I was able to keep track of it, and got it back on eventually.

More alarmingly, when the concert was over - the last of the festival - we couldn't find the rest of our party, who were watching my stuff while I moshed. My stuff included a towel and swimming trunks, cigarettes and Zippo. But because I was to meet up with my family directly after the festival, for our first (and only) visit to Britain, the bag also held my passport and all my money! Shiiit! I frantically searched the area where we'd been sitting, but found neither bag nor mates. Another friend had left her stuff with mine, and the two of us hurried nervously through the crowd that was slowly filing off the festival grounds, towards the bridge over to the mainland, where the camp site was located. We caught up with them near the bridge, but they just dumbly shrugged and shook their heads; having either misunderstood our arrangement altogether, or just dumped our belongings in someone else's lap when they decided to head out.

This was when the bowling ball dropped in my guts, and I could feel my sweat turning cold. The girl - J - and I ran back up to the festival site, that was looking properly "end-of-Woodstock" by now. Bags very much like mine were everywhere, stuffed with things or torn up and strewn around. We searched our "home base" area again, and again, and we did some wide sweeps and inspected a lot of garbage, but our stuff was gone. Someone had to have stolen it, and now there was no way we'd ever catch up with them. We glumly staggered back towards the bridge with the last  stragglers, trying to think what to do next. Call the police? Call our parents? J was freaking out because she has a condition, and her medicine was just one of the important things she'd entrusted our drunken mates with. I was thinking I was basically stranded. My train ticket was also in the bag, and I would have to do some manouvering and borrowing just to get in touch with my family. And even if I could easily scrounge up for a payphone, they would be en route to Oslo to meet me, and quite likely unreachable at that moment. British holiday could go down the shitter for everyone. Future festival plans and similar adventures might be in jeopardy, given the irresponsible way I'd just walked away from all my valuables in a field full of rowdy youths. The more I thought it through, the more fucked I seemed, and I was getting that shit-your-pants dread you get when you know you're fucked. It'd been a couple of hours at this point. Even if we should miraculously stumble across the bag, it would obviously just contain my towel and trunks.

We were across the bridge and had fallen pale and silent, out of ideas, when I spotted a tiny booth off the side of the footpath. Handwritten sign said "Lost and found". - Hey J, there's a chance, isn't there...? We jogged over to the booth, there was a dude and a gal sat in lawn chairs outside who didn't look like they'd had, or were expecting, much business. Tell you the truth, I think they'd been smoking those "jazz cigarettes" you used to get at festivals. We explained our predicament, and dude says "Huh? Well, I'll have a look". Comes back not fifteen seconds later with a bag. Bulging plastic bag stuffed with stuff. My bag! It can't be? Fucking YES! It's my bag, and not a single thing is missing. My passport and train ticket, all my money, my swimwear, and all six of my remaining Marlboros!!! All of her stuff, too. What? Did we just have a unbelievable stroke of luck? Stroke is right. It genuinely felt like a bang on the head with a frying pan, but in a highly pleasurable way. J and I just started bawling and fell into each other's arms. How can people be so kind and considerate? I'm lumping up just thinking about it now. Gal was just grinning in her chair with her beer. Dude was a little taken aback, but still jolly "He he, that's right mate, everything's alright. Say, can I bum one of your cigs?" And he sure could. He sure could.

The festival was suddenly looking like a resounding, unqualified, legendary success again, and my British holiday was back on. Got to visit the Nessie museum, chat with drunken Irishmen in Newcastle, take a walk in Epping Forest and do some serious record shopping on Oxford Street. It was an eventful fortnight. The following year - the Faith No More year that makes this entire post on topic - followed a similar pattern, with the gang all going to Kalvøya and enjoying even wilder antics, but taking better care of our belongings. I might as well also mention that I spent a night under the stars in 92, because another mate puked like fire hydrant inside our tent and over our baggage - legendary! After the 93 festival, instead of going on holiday with my mum again, I found myself driving through Germany with my puking mate and his family. I remember playing "Das Schutzenfest" for their friend, our German host, and him being very German about it. Disappointingly unamused and unoffended, he just said that most of those were made-up words, and that was the end of it.

Egyptian Feast

Sunstroke '93?

Jesus, this discussion has sparked a lot of memories. I hadn't thought about it in years, but Sunstroke '93 was pretty momentous: the first gig I attended unaccompanied by elders (I'd previously joined my sister for a couple of Jason Donovan gigs in '89 and my brother minded me and a pal when we saw Def Leppard 'in the round' the year before) and the first time I ever got drunk, polishing off a 2-litre of Linden Village on the special bus down from Donegal and making a complete dick of myself.

I can't remember the whole line-up, but recall being unimpressed by Belly, loving Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (I met Michael Franti after their set and he signed a Hot Press 'Fuck Me, But Use A Condom!' t-shirt for me; I wore it proudly to non-uniform day at school months later and unsurprisingly was met with horror by both teachers and classmates), tiring myself out during a Beaster-heavy set by Sugar and then sleeping on a pile of people's bags the whole way through Sonic Youth's set, which annoyed pretty much everybody who stayed awake for it, being mainly comprised of noodling and songs from the as-yet-unreleased Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No-Star.

When I'd bought tickets, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers were headlining, but when I found out they'd dropped out and Faith No More were replacing them, I was over the moon. The Chillis still had serious cred in early-90s Ireland, so not everybody felt the same, but I was obsessed with Angel Dust at the time and had heard from friends about their show-stealing set at Slane supporting Guns 'n' Roses and the Point gig mentioned earlier, so this was the best news possible. I can clearly remember them jogging onstage in formation and doing push-ups to 'The Final Countdown' (minus Jim Martin, who strolled on by himself) and I'm pretty sure they opened with 'Caffeine' just like the gig dallasman attended.

It was a fucking great gig overall – what a line-up! – and the highlight of what was the greatest summer of my 15 years on Earth until it turned completely to shit on my birthday and never recovered (which is possibly why I hadn't thought of it in years). Thanks for the memories, lads!

dallasman

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on November 28, 2019, 04:13:26 PM
When I'd bought tickets, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers were headlining, but when I found out they'd dropped out and Faith No More were replacing them, I was over the moon.

Hah, that's wonderful. "Mother's Milk" and "BloodSugarSexMagic" were huge party albums round ours, but by '93 I would have felt exactly the same about that swap. We were supposed to get both Pearl Jam and Nirvana back in '92, but Eddie Vedder had blown his voice, and they were replaced last-minute by The Blues Brothers Band. Yeah, Steve Cropper, Donald "Duck" Dunn - that lot. We'd seen the movie of course, but that didn't feel like a fair trade at all.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: dallasman on November 28, 2019, 05:13:30 PM
Hah, that's wonderful. "Mother's Milk" and "BloodSugarSexMagic" were huge party albums round ours, but by '93 I would have felt exactly the same about that swap. We were supposed to get both Pearl Jam and Nirvana back in '92, but Eddie Vedder had blown his voice, and they were replaced last-minute by The Blues Brothers Band. Yeah, Steve Cropper, Donald "Duck" Dunn - that lot. We'd seen the movie of course, but that didn't feel like a fair trade at all.

Wow, what a bizarre choice of replacement! I can imagine the disappointment.