Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Countdown Clock on Faith No More's Official Website

Started by DrGreggles, November 24, 2019, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallasman

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on November 28, 2019, 05:28:20 PM
Wow, what a bizarre choice of replacement! I can imagine the disappointment.

Yeah, a couple of people were fucking devastated, but it didn't work out too shabbily in the end. The BB Band went on early, and their set was all classics, so they slotted into the sunshiny lineup rather well, actually. We also had Violent Femmes and Crowded House, both of which felt like perfect early-in-the-day festival fare. "Local" heroes Bel Canto were an early highlight too. You'd lounge on the grass, maybe get up and dance to your favourites, drink at a reasonable rate (drugs weren't really on the menu that first year). "Blister In The Sun", "Weather With You", "Gimme Some Lovin'", "Shimmering Warm and Bright" - I have some washed-out but very vivid footage of these and others in my memory bank, where some of the harder-hitting headliners appear more as a blur of arms, legs, hair and T-shirts. The '93 FNM concert is a lot like that, with some unforgettable frozen moments here and there.

McFlymo

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on November 28, 2019, 04:13:26 PM
Jesus, this discussion has sparked a lot of memories. I hadn't thought about it in years, but Sunstroke '93 was pretty momentous: the first gig I attended unaccompanied by elders (I'd previously joined my sister for a couple of Jason Donovan gigs in '89 and my brother minded me and a pal when we saw Def Leppard 'in the round' the year before)

God! That reminds me: the FNM gig in the Point Depot, in 92' that I went to at 12, was with my sister (16 at the time). When the gig kicked off (Caffeine was the first song) and I got nearly crushed to death, I lost her. When I finally broke free from the crowd (which was terrifying and took ages), after losing the aforementioned shirt and shoe, I was wandering around the venue for a while looking for her. I was scared, but I felt more sorry for her, wondering to myself, "how is she going to feel, worrying herself that she's been responsible for her wee brother being crushed to death at his first ever gig?" We found each other after a few songs and ran into each other's arms and hugged, she was bawling her eyes out. After all that, we retired to the seats up the back of the venue and watched the rest of the gig from there!

So!

1993: Originally FNM were due to play the Kings Hall in Belfast. I had tickets and I was going to go with a friend from school. Mum and dad were fine with this. Then, as mentioned, FNM replaced RHCP for Sunstroke '93, that would've been fine, except this meant that they cancelled their Belfast gig to do the Sunstroke instead! I was raging, because this meant that a) My mate from school was out. No way his parents would let him go to Dublin. b) I'd have to convince my parents to give me the money for a bus or train to Dublin plus the extra money for the Sunstroke Festival ticket. (I think the Belfast FNM gig ticket was about £15, Sunstroke was about £35) and c) I'd have to convince my parents to let me go to Dublin unsupervised. (I can't remember why my sister wasn't available, she might have been out of the country).

A day before the gig (and after much huffing and puffing between me and my parents) I decided to hang out at the record shop selling Sunstroke tickets, a place called Makin Tracks in Belfast, eventually I saw two much older lads going in to buy their tickets, when they were leaving the shop, I approached them and asked them if they would be prepared to hang out with me (and essentially supervise me) to Dublin and back....

They were both 21, I was 13, and they said, "sure!".

Looking back, I don't think I'd have been so cool about such a scenario when I was 21.

Anyway, this was enough for me to convince my dad to give me the money for the gig (I was a spoilt wee cunt back then) on the proviso that he would get to meet these two guys and, I guess, size them up.

The next morning I met the two guys at the train station with my dad and, yeah, everyone seemed happy enough with the arrangement!

They were two genuinely lovely dudes and looked after me well, (I tried smoking a joint for the first time with them, at the gig, but let's not focus on that!) and a great example of how sound some people can be, really.

I know one of them was called Paul, I can't remember the other guy's name. I think I bumped into him a few years later in a pub and he was still as pleasant and easy going. Top lads!

dallasman

^ Amazing story. Not to question McFlymo Sr's judgement, but my dad would not have been down with anything like that, and he was/is pretty "cool" in other respects. He refused to let me go to an all-ages show two blocks from his house when I was 14, so travelling to a festival at 13 would've been out of the question.

DrGreggles

WED, 10 JUN 2020 AT 19:00
Faith No More
O2 Apollo · Manchester

McFlymo

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 01, 2019, 02:25:45 PM
WED, 10 JUN 2020 AT 19:00
Faith No More
O2 Apollo · Manchester

Oh nice. So they aren't leaving out the UK after all. And is this the first non-festival date announced?

Quote from: dallasman on November 30, 2019, 10:07:49 PM
^ Amazing story. Not to question McFlymo Sr's judgement, but my dad would not have been down with anything like that, and he was/is pretty "cool" in other respects. He refused to let me go to an all-ages show two blocks from his house when I was 14, so travelling to a festival at 13 would've been out of the question.

Yeah. It's a weird one. I don't know if it was a case of "different times" (early 90s) parents were more trusting and assumed we'd be able to take care of ourselves, a case of neglect - just bad parenting, or me being such a spoilt brat that I was able to just steamroller my parents.

To be fair, I remember it was one of the very few times that my dad said, "No way!" and it was a bit of a battle to get him to come round. Still though! Pretty nuts. haha

Dirty Boy

Fucking Nora.

Last time they played Manchester was 1997 GET TICKETS LADS!!!

Noodle Lizard

I've seen FNM three times, twice with Patton and once with Chuck not long before he died. Bizarrely, the latter was my favourite, despite generally preferring Patton in every regard.

I'm surprised at the small venue sizes. Maybe I've overestimated their popularity these days but I know loads of people who are foaming at the mouth to see them.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on December 02, 2019, 08:33:55 PM
I'm surprised at the small venue sizes. Maybe I've overestimated their popularity these days but I know loads of people who are foaming at the mouth to see them.

I think that's their preference. The tickets will go within minutes.

non capisco

There's an O2 customers only presale and all which is annoying. This kind of preferential corporate bollocks will be abolished once Jezza gets in and we're all on CORBYNGRAD TELECOMMUNICATIONS NETWORK.

McFlymo

Well, you English pig-dogs get to see them after all. (Go and boil your bottoms!)

I'm tempted to try and see them in Glasgow, mainly because I'm 40 and don't think I could be fucked with the festival nonsense anymore. Although, after all the travel expenses, the festival might be cheaper and I quite like the Deftones.

Shaky

Quote from: McFlymo on December 03, 2019, 07:27:41 PM
I'm tempted to try and see them in Glasgow, mainly because I'm 40 and don't think I could be fucked with the festival nonsense anymore.

That's largely the reason I didn't bother with them when they came to Oz in 2015, a decision I now kinda regret.

DrGreggles

'Artist's Pre-sale' tickets available for the UK dates at 10am.
Password: 'FNMUK2020'

boki

They're almost certainly doing Download, aren't they? 

DrGreggles

Not sure, but I've no doubt that more dates will be added.

I think I'm doing a Brixton/Lisbon double.
Got the first part of that sorted anyway.

Dirty Boy

Got two standing tickets for Manc and i'm more than a bit excited.

I hope they do the one with the jumping fish.

Edit: tickets apparently turning up on ebay for £120+ already. Cunts.

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 04, 2019, 09:54:48 AM
'Artist's Pre-sale' tickets available for the UK dates at 10am.
Password: 'FNMUK2020'

I'd this with O2?

Edit: It's on the band site with Ticketmaster and there are no tickets left. Fucking cuntbubbles.

niat

Got 2 tickets to Manc through O2 Priority (thankfully my work phone is on O2). Last saw them in Hyde Park in 2014 before Sol Invictus came out and it was amazing but I wish I'd managed to see one of the smaller gigs they did after it was released too.

Last time I saw them before that was Brixton in 1997, so I'm well up for this.

lankyguy95

Fucking fell asleep just before 10 didn't I?!

Friday morning might be a bit stressful.

flotemysost

Managed to get two Brixton tickets via my mate at work, who very kindly forwarded me the link from her O2 app bang on 10am. Far more serene experience than when I tried the general sale for Roundhouse in 2015 but I was still well nervous.

I've never been complicit in this corporate presale malarkey before, are they going to frisk everyone for O2 sim cards on the door or something?

DrGreggles

I think that's why FNM had their own pre-sale code along with the O2 one.
Hopefully more bands will do this now.
Sick of the O2 pre-sale bollocks just because they sponsor the venues.

Missed out on the Livenation pre sale too. No fucking chance of a ticket in the general sale tomorrow but try I must..

DrGreggles

Well, me and a mate have both bought 2 tickets - and st the moment there's only the 2 of us going, so there's every chance that we'll have a couple of spares for Brixton.

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 05, 2019, 03:44:54 PM
Well, me and a mate have both bought 2 tickets - and st the moment there's only the 2 of us going, so there's every chance that we'll have a couple of spares for Brixton.

I need 3 and they need to be seated due to one of us having a fucked leg. Cheers for the (potential) offer though.

McFlymo

non capisco

Quote from: McFlymo on December 11, 2019, 10:47:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYynek1GihE&feature=share

Elvis, cheesy backing track, Zig & Zag, all of it... Excellent stuff.

It's an utter tragedy that only plays through one headphone channel. It's amazing. The Elvis voices are perfect! I'd forgotten how funny and occasionally niche Zig and Zag were.

Didn't manage to get tickets, btw. C'est la vie, chums.

lankyguy95

Europe and UK dates have been rescheduled for next year:

June 7, 2021 Manchester, UK O2 Apollo

June 8, 2021 Manchester, UK O2 Apollo

June 9, 2021 Glasgow, UK O2 Academy

June 11, 2021 Birmingham, UK O2 Academy

June 12, 2021 London, UK O2 Academy Brixton

June 13, 2021 London, UK O2 Academy Brixton

June 21, 2021 Stuttgart, GER Schleyerhalle

June 25, 2021 Oslo, NOR Tons of Rock

July 4, 2021 Amsterdam, HOL AFAS Live

July 7, 2021 Zurich, SWI Halle 622

DrGreggles

Delayed for a year, but (takes the tiniest crumb of positivity) it's now on a Saturday rather than a Thursday.