Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:00:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Neon Indian's back with another ladleful of joyous acid-pop tropicana

Started by alan nagsworth, November 24, 2019, 01:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

TOYOTA MAN

Ever since Alan Palomo dropped Vega Intl. Night School in 2015 - one of the most incredibly fun indie pop records I've ever heard, with endless catchy hooks and swinging club rhythms tinged with vaporwave acid-wash and Italo disco's effortless cool - I have been champing at the bit for new Neon Indian music, and very recently, I got it.

Toyota Man is a track that's great enough in its own right, but really it deserves to be seen alongside the video (also directed by Palomo, in the link above) to get the full package. I'm not normally one for political messages in music in this day and age, but boy howdy this is joyously defiant, bursting with colour, teeming with love and optimism. If, as an artist, you wanna declare your right to existence, then you could nary make a better case for it than doing it like this.

I've been listening to this every day and showing the video to all my friends, I just cannot get enough of it. NI's previous chillwave stuff is good but this and Vega just belt it outta the park for me. If you've not heard any Vega stuff before and you're into Toyota Man, go watch the video for Annie. It's absolutely brilliant.

buttgammon

Crabwalk

Yer Nags might be wrong about 'Protection' but he's right about this, and Neon Indian in general.

'Slumlord' from VEGA Intl Night School might be my favourite song of the decade and I've been looking forward to new material so much. Every album so far has been a big step up from the previous one. I've listened to 'Toyota' a few times so far and really like it, but I haven't seen the video yet. Time to fix that.

Edit: Yup, it is absolutely brilliant. Make it a hit, America.

ArtParrott

Nothing more to add but I just watched the video and it's great. Cant see any word about a new album yet though.

alan nagsworth

He needs to get a fuckin album out sharpish. This is the first thing he's done since Vega that isn't soundtrack work so it's deffo got my hopes up

imitationleather

Vega is one of my favourite albums of the past 10,000 years. Just so endlessly listenable.

alan nagsworth

Agree. I'm gonna get it on vinyl so I can frame it because Robert Beatty's cover art is superb.

This is total beast tier. Amazing stuff. I never gave VINS as much time as the amazing debut, seemed a bit less weird but this is fantastic. I'm gonna go back to Night School and sink it in.

riotinlagos

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 26, 2019, 09:17:31 AM
He needs to get a fuckin album out sharpish. This is the first thing he's done since Vega that isn't soundtrack work so it's deffo got my hopes up

Here's a good very recent interview on why he's taken his time. https://www.adhoc.fm/post/neon-indian-interview/

Enjoying the new song and Vega Intl. is possibly the most overlooked album of this decade.

Crabwalk

Really interesting interview, thanks for sharing. I'd rather he takes five years each time to conceptualise and learn new techniques than churn out facsimiles of what was, admittedly, pretty fucking awesome last time out.

QuoteIt might be informed by Prefab Sprout and things that Thomas Dolby produced.

Bloody hell, yes please! Imagine him taking on something as precise, yet sprawling as Jordan: The Comeback.

willy crossit

this is great. and good to see so many people loving night school cos it's legitimately my favourite album from past ten years and no one ever talks about it

Cardenio I

alan nagsworth

Cha bwoi recorded a mix of Italo belters in his living room the other week, which he's now uploaded to YouTube. I've got it on now, it's fucking scorchio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NSBtP4sB_U

Apparently he's going live on Facebook every Friday (American time) to play sets now too. I love this dude so much!

imitationleather

I saw that earlier. Will be cranking it up when I've finished work. Oi, oi.

Bazooka

I only ever listened to Psychic Chasms really, which was nice but pretty beige like most in comparison when Animal Collective have released god tier MPP in the same year. What's his magnum opus?

Crabwalk

It's Vega Int. Night School. As many in the thread have said, it was one of the best records of the previous decade.

rue the polywhirl

Just stick on Era Extrana. If crazily immediate stuff like Polish Girl, Fallout, and Arcade Blues doesn't hook you in then I'm guessing you simply won't be a fan of his work.

Crabwalk

I love Era Extrana too, but if bazooka finds Psychic Chasms a bit beige I'm not sure EE would be the pick of the two subsequent records to change their mind.

Crabwalk

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 01, 2020, 10:00:52 AM
Cha bwoi recorded a mix of Italo belters in his living room the other week, which he's now uploaded to YouTube. I've got it on now, it's fucking scorchio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NSBtP4sB_U

Loving it. And of course 'Faces' by Clio is in there. Palomo knows what's what.

buttgammon

Quote from: Crabwalk on April 01, 2020, 03:08:04 PM
Loving it. And of course 'Faces' by Clio is in there. Palomo knows what's what.

Back when I was allowed to leave the house regularly, a heroin addict sat next to me on the tram. He slumped semi-conscious, his phone hanging out of his head - that is the song he was playing. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the cover on the screen.