Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:43:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How to pass the time/be interested in things

Started by Noonling, November 25, 2019, 10:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

I know it's a case of "grass is greener on the other side" but I feel a bit jealous of those who talk about how busy they are, especially if it's due to enjoyable things like hobbies. I've spent the weekend drifting in and out of sleep because I've nothing to do. I took today off work as I have spare holiday, so I'll likely just end up sleeping 16 hrs and spending my waking time in bed still.

Other than "take your meds", how can I resolve this? The only thing I can think of is volunteering  (I haven't done any this year), but I worry about not being able to get out of bed and being too unreliable for it. Phoning in sick for a volunteer thing is the worst thing in the world.

So...hobbies? My usual go-to is gaming but I have now played All The Games. Don't feel like watching TV, and I feel so conscious that most gaming and TV is just mindless consuming and a band-aid/distraction rather than a proper way to pass the time. Read the least number of books this year since I learn to read (one, one single short book) but I could push myself a bit and get back into the swing of it

What else do people do? The days are so very, very long. Candle making? Multi level marketing? Hacking GCHQ? Alcoholism? A few times in my life when I've tried the fake-it-til-you-make-it/give-a-shit way I've managed to push a hobby for a couple of weeks, but usually I give up on a magical idea after about two days.

Genuinely tempted to switch to full-time work just to pass the hours, which is stupid as I have no need for the money and probably can't handle full time again yet.

Alberon

Wanking or volunteering at a charity?

Or both, you could do both. But not at the same time as I've learned to my cost.

bgmnts

Was thinking about tis again last night. It is a rather hellish experience.

Urinal Cake

If you want a socially acceptable hobby that is one you can talk to people about it has to be fitness or a side business like selling candles or a white supremacist.
If you don't care lean magic/k.

thenoise

I'm not the best example of this, but the key I think to being motivated is other people. Manufacture a situation where you will be letting down more people than just yourself if you shirk your 'hobby'.

Pretty cliche response, but my local food bank/baby bank (things for babies, not babies themselves) has just closed down due to lack of volunteers, despite having rooms full of stuff. Put word about with some local charities that you are a bit bored at weekends and looking for a way to help out. Aim to volunteer for a cause you are at least a bit interested in, something you think is making the world a better place. Charities tackling the impact of Tory-austerity is difficult to argue with really, unless you're a cunt.

Some people get really into fitness or car maintenance or first aid or model railways etc, which is fine, but it's best to join a club or something if you aren't a naturally motivated person.

BeardFaceMan

Relationships with other people are key, especially when you are like this. Find someone in your life you can do something nice for, however small. The feeling you get from doing that can really help your mood and motivation a lot. Volunteering is sort of the same thing (along with the getting out of your house angle,  I had to call in sick for my volunteering job myself today,  getting out of the house is not always helpful), but its a bit anonymous, it helps generate good feeling more when you do it for someone you know.