Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Least shite high street in Scotland announced

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, November 25, 2019, 12:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-50521432

Anyone been? From the limited evidence I have assessed to help form an opinion it looks about the same as a thousand English high streets and less beautiful than virtually every single Irish high street.

Surely there's a Wicker Man style Hebridean island where they still have the cockles, incest and blackface festivals that generally endow a town with a pretty local heritage? Arran?

Icehaven

I should think it just means a higher number of the good citizens of Kirkwall were mobilised to vote in the poll.

Bad Ambassador

Blumf

Neville Chamberlain

NattyDread 2

Kirkwall's alright. There's not much of a high street in Arran, like most of the islands. As for Wicker Man type shenanigans, there's the Burry Man in South Queensferry.

thenoise

Ayr was in the running? Ayr shut years ago. It's all boarded up now.

Captain Z

QuoteIt narrowly beat Lerwick and Milngavie, receiving nearly 5,000 votes - 21% of the online poll. Lerwick secured 18% of the vote and Milngavie 15%.

The Lib Dems have claimed they have the best chance of winning the award next time.

Quote from: Captain Z on November 25, 2019, 01:37:54 PM
It narrowly beat Lerwick and Milngavie, receiving nearly 5,000 votes - 21% of the online poll. Lerwick secured 18% of the vote and Milngavie 15%.

The Lib Dems have claimed they have the best chance of winning the award next time.

Milngavie is in dear old Jo Swinson's constituency, so you this might not be far from the truth.

Could be a job for her in it if she loses her seat and/or leadership.  I reckon she could reduce Milngavie's vote share to 10% in no time.

Quote from: Hound Of The Basketballs on November 25, 2019, 01:34:41 PM

Lanark isn't exactly bustling these days either. 

Just looks like one of these things to encourage civic pride and what have you.  Fair enough, I suppose.  Most of the nominees seem like places that are a bit rough around the edges (except Milngavie) but the reality is that most of the genuinely pretty places (Anstruther, Crail, Wigtown, Falkland, etc) will be full of second homes occupied by non-locals so at least some of the places nominated still feel like real towns.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on November 25, 2019, 01:11:49 PM
Kirkwall's alright. There's not much of a high street in Arran, like most of the islands. As for Wicker Man type shenanigans, there's the Burry Man in South Queensferry.

If that baby could speak, it would be saying, "Mate.... State of you".

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Hound Of The Basketballs on November 25, 2019, 01:34:41 PM

Was down thereblast month on Saturday for  a charity shop sweep. Haven't seen so many broken people in one place in all my life.

Bobtoo

I've been to Kirkwall. The high street is pleasant enough and has some actual shops in it. I liked Stromness better but it might be too small for the list. I really like Lerwick but it would be a stretch to call it beautiful.

Cumbernauld is the least unpleasant shopping centre I've been in. I went a few years ago to see how bad it could be, it was fine.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah I think it's probably better inside that dilapidated rabbit warren on stilts than outside looking at it.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 25, 2019, 12:45:59 PM

Surely there's a Wicker Man style Hebridean island where they still have the cockles, incest and blackface festivals that generally endow a town with a pretty local heritage? Arran?

Think these things are more common and likely in SW England.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on November 25, 2019, 06:34:24 PM
Think these things are more common and likely in SW England.

Yes, that was what I was hoping to invoke by stating it. That part of England is in general the weirdest and most remote part.

Consignia

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Consignia on November 25, 2019, 06:53:39 PM

What a lovely branch of Boots.

Two blokes keeping a lookout while their mate robs Intersport there

thenoise

Ooh they put some bunting up, how delightful 9.5/10

dissolute ocelot

It's really not clear what the criteria are: both Edinburgh and Glasgow High Streets have some good architecture, but maybe they're too big to count.  And Dunfermline High Street has a nice bit where they knocked down a bunch of buildings but couldn't be bothered putting anything up so they just built a surprisingly mountainous park. I remembered Kirriemuir as being quite pretty: Nice skip. (The Bon Scott statue is further south.)

Glebe

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 25, 2019, 01:00:42 PMPoor old Cumbernauld didn't get a look-in :-(

"There's the alien base, Blake... what's the plan?"

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on November 25, 2019, 01:11:49 PM

Swamp Thing cancellation due to "disappointing" FX.

Edinburgh is obviously the place to go, if you want to see nice streets and buildings. The only problem is that it's a bit touristy, and can you find yourself being overcharged for things.

Ridiculously overcharged. Felt myself coming over all Alan Partridge. 'I could have a roll like this for a sensible price from a parochial merchant. Your prices are absurd.'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Tesco meal deal mate

Oh look at the 4 storey tenements that's a nice enseeemmmmmmmmmmbbbble

Time for a £3 meal deal

Actually don't do that just bring a packed lunch you can eat on a bench in the rain. Save your money for the quality skag. An economy pancreas.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 30, 2019, 01:04:14 PM
Tesco meal deal mate

Oh look at the 4 storey tenements that's a nice enseeemmmmmmmmmmbbbble

Time for a £3 meal deal

Actually don't do that just bring a packed lunch you can eat on a bench in the rain. Save your money for the quality skag. An economy pancreas.

I don't appreciate your bigotry towards the noble Scottish people.

You should eat some of our pickled mussels and leap into a grand swedge. Then you will see the beauty of our culture.

kngen

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 30, 2019, 08:39:02 AM
The only problem is that it's a bit touristy, and can you find yourself being overcharged for things.

A bit touristy? They might as well cover the pavements of Princes St with tartan carpets and be done with it.

I do like Edinburgh (even as a Glaswegian), but it's a tricky place to find your niche if you don't want to be somewhere that is a) swathed in tartan; b) full of braying yahs swishing their Edinburgh Uni scarves over their shoulders that knock your pint over, or c) some barred-window hellhole that was the inspiration for an Irvine Welsh short story. (My mate lived round the corner from The Anchor Inn on Granton Road, which is apparently part of Welsh folklore, and we went in one night 'just to see'. It was a pretty unremarkable workies' boozer apart from the karaoke where a haggard looking woman in her 60s, rather than sing, just stood on the wee tiny stage and stared at us for the length of the song. I've seen some pretty wild and confrontational bands in my time, but nothing quite as unsettling as that.)

The Old Town is just daft, though. It's almost impossible to walk from point A to point B without detouring down a wee lane or alley about three times. I've tried to walk from pub to pub as the crow flies, and after 15 minutes of attempting to walk in as straight a line as possible I ended up on a raised street bridge thing looking down at the point where I started on the street below. Town-planning by Escher, clearly - no wonder they thought the New Town was an architectural marvel. Straight roads! No tiny vennels that look like shortcuts but actually lead you two miles away from where you're headed! Street names!

Tis a silly place.

Nobody Soup

I've been, and it is nice, that picture doesn't really do it justice, but it's nothing special.

I'd argue the main street of Stromness, the second town on Orkney is nicer, being right next to the bay and despite the size having plenty of nice shops.

Orcadians are pretty fierce about how great Orkney is though, so it's the sort of place that will win these things.