Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:44:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

working a job you don't hate

Started by spaghetamine, November 25, 2019, 06:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

I guess one of the main draws of a 'proper job' in an office of whatever, as opposed to casual/manual labour, for a fat/unhealthy aging cunt like me is that I get sick pay, and I do eventually get some kind of pension when I am too old to work. I took three weeks off two years ago with a broken arm. I have to have an operation within the next few years that will cost me 6 weeks of work (at least). If I were a fruit-picker I would starve (or at least slide into debt that I could meet pay off).

SteveDave

In 12 days time I'll have been in this job for 5 years which is the longest I've ever worked anywhere. I don't the job itself, the people I work with or the company (big Tory donors with pictures of Bohnson and the pig fucker in the canteen- they visited before the 2015 election) and it's a round trip of about 2 and half hours a day, but it's easy money and I get to post shit on here all day.

I'm worried that if I switch jobs I'll flounder (as I have in a few other jobs) and be unemployed with a wife and child to support. Yes, the free time would be nice but the no money less so.

bgmnts

Which is better; a shit job you hate with great colleagues or a great job you like with utter cunt colleagues?

SteveDave

Quote from: bgmnts on November 26, 2019, 11:28:48 AM
Which is better; a shit job you hate with great colleagues or a great job you like with utter cunt colleagues?

What are the hours?

Sherringford Hovis

It's best if your job is shit and you hate your cunt colleagues, otherwise where would be the reward in the sweet release of death?

Benjaminos

I like my job. It's not the reason I continue to get up in the morning, and obviously I'd rather sit on the sofa all day eating crisps and playing video games, but it's engaging, plays to my strengths, and is (gasp) fun sometimes.

Obviously it's easier said than done, but work out what you enjoy doing and find a job that meshes with that. I like fixing things and solving puzzles, so I became a sysadmin. Did that for fifteen years, and now I effectively dictate what the job is, because everybody else can't be bothered to read the instructions/is too thick to understand how computers work.

Jerzy Bondov

The first one. The cunt colleagues will snake you and get you sacked and then where will you be? Dead from universal credit.

SteveDave

SteveDave

bgmnts

You didnt choose from the original choice you dappy cunt, I've given the job to my neighbours dachshund.

ProvanFan

I'll tell you who has it easy, that lazy bastard Karl Howman

checkoutgirl

Quote from: bgmnts on November 26, 2019, 11:59:16 AM
37.5 a week.

Would you...what size do you wear, sir?.
Uh...seven and a quarter.
I think we have that...

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Benjaminos on November 26, 2019, 12:37:28 PM
sysadmin

Is that an admin who is heterosexual and wants to be the gender they were born as?

SteveDave

Quote from: bgmnts on November 26, 2019, 12:59:10 PM
You didnt choose from the original choice you dappy cunt, I've given the job to my neighbours dachshund.

You are the worst interview man I've ever spoken to. I will not take this job. Please shove it.

spaghetamine

On the plus side, if it's quiet day I am basically left unsupervised to listen to podcasts for 7 and a half hours (today was one such day). Swings and roundabouts or something.  I have been thinking about the possibility of training as teacher but reckon I should try and sort my head out a bit first as I feel I'm currently far too fragile and reckon a single insult from a wayward teen would probably cause me to die instantly. I hope you all had tolerable workdays anyway.

homesickalien

(edit - nah)

Cuellar

EditGlitch Removal Person

Not until there's no more edit glitches need removing will I be gone. I'll never stop being happy to help.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: spaghetamine on November 26, 2019, 06:55:45 PM
On the plus side, if it's quiet day I am basically left unsupervised to listen to podcasts for 7 and a half hours (today was one such day). Swings and roundabouts or something.  I have been thinking about the possibility of training as teacher but reckon I should try and sort my head out a bit first as I feel I'm currently far too fragile and reckon a single insult from a wayward teen would probably cause me to die instantly. I hope you all had tolerable workdays anyway.

There's way I could be a normal teacher, having to deal with 30+ kids being all kinds of shitty and annoying would drive me mad. However I do work as a Teaching English As A Foreign Language teacher online and really enjoy it, at the most I have to deal with four students, there's an emphasis on having fun and trying to make the kids laugh, and though sometimes it can be a bit tiring if they're really young and don't really understand you, most of the time I enjoy it a lot. Plus in the afternoons I do one on one sessions with French adults which is quite relaxing and gentle in comparison, I don't have to travel to work, and most days only do five or six hours, which as I'm a lazy bastard suits me perfectly.

Ambient Sheep

Definitely the first of those.

spaghetamine

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 26, 2019, 08:33:22 PM
There's way I could be a normal teacher, having to deal with 30+ kids being all kinds of shitty and annoying would drive me mad. However I do work as a Teaching English As A Foreign Language teacher online and really enjoy it, at the most I have to deal with four students, there's an emphasis on having fun and trying to make the kids laugh, and though sometimes it can be a bit tiring if they're really young and don't really understand you, most of the time I enjoy it a lot. Plus in the afternoons I do one on one sessions with French adults which is quite relaxing and gentle in comparison, I don't have to travel to work, and most days only do five or six hours, which as I'm a lazy bastard suits me perfectly.

I actually have a TEFL qualification and have thought about doing this, do you think you could feasibly live full time off it or would I require some form of side hustle?  i don't lead a particularly lavish lifestyle but i am renting which obviously inevitably eats up most of your wage

pancreas

I do maths all day except for more recently where I tell HR or Senior Management that they're being cunts. It's alright.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: spaghetamine on November 26, 2019, 08:57:23 PM
I actually have a TEFL qualification and have thought about doing this, do you think you could feasibly live full time off it or would I require some form of side hustle?  i don't lead a particularly lavish lifestyle but i am renting which obviously inevitably eats up most of your wage

I manage to get by doing about 30 hours a week (and my rent is £600 per month) so it should be doable unless you pay a lot more than that. On the downside there's no real career progression but that doesn't bother me as I'm just glad to be doing a job I like and which doesn't make me horrendously depressed like some have done in the past.

I drive a freight train moving stone and cement out of the Peak District. Good terms and a strong union (obviously not unconnected).

checkoutgirl

Quote from: spaghetamine on November 26, 2019, 06:55:45 PM
On the plus side, if it's quiet day I am basically left unsupervised to listen to podcasts for 7 and a half hours

On the plus side at least your not working on trains. Which some people do have to do unfortunately.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 26, 2019, 09:18:21 PM
I'm just glad to be doing a job I like

Didn't even know you had a job. Good one.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: kenneth trousers on November 27, 2019, 09:46:21 AM
I drive a freight train moving stone and cement out of the Peak District. Good terms and a strong union (obviously not unconnected).

I hadn't even read your post when I wrote that. Wasn't deliberate.