Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr Thomson said: "I think that's mine."

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, November 26, 2019, 02:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The ghoulishness of the lottery. Scooping up the desperate bets of largely working class people and handing it all (minus whatever the lottery organiser regards as fair profit) to one person.

Will he start a buy to let empire or will his heart give out from crack and hookers in his 50s, leaving the property empire building to his made for life relatives.

What a wonderful time to be alive. The real question is why would you go public and why should we regard it as news? The whole point of the lottery is someone wins at the direct expense of others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-50559136

Cuellar

So wait, she married that guy BEFORE he was rich?!

Is he funny or something?

imitationleather

Quote from: Cuellar on November 26, 2019, 03:16:46 PM
So wait, she married that guy BEFORE he was rich?!

Is he funny or something?

Don't be so cynical.

She's Slovakian.

Icehaven

If you win that amount of money can you just put it in your normal bank account or do you have to open some kind of special account for ridiculous amounts? I know lottery winners get financial advice and all that. And that those big cheques aren't the actual one that you take to the bank too.

idunnosomename

I think he'll donate it to charity as he looks like a man with a huge heart

Quote from: icehaven on November 26, 2019, 03:22:57 PM
If you win that amount of money can you just put it in your normal bank account or do you have to open some kind of special account for ridiculous amounts? I know lottery winners get financial advice and all that. And that those big cheques aren't the actual one that you take to the bank too.

When you claim, the winners adviser comes to your home to verify your win and then will set up a bank account with you for the money to be paid into. Most UK bank accounts aren't geared up for that amount of money to be paid in and for the sums that are likely to be paid out without flagging up as fraud.

I often wonder about this. As far as I know, your money is only insured against the banks going under to the tune of £85,000 per account. So you get £105,000,000 and you have to open 1235.2 bank accounts to guarantee your moneys safe? Fuck that, I reckon.

Funcrusher

Would be cool to have won this and pop into Lottery HQ and say 'I'd like you to make a cheque for 50M to Mr J Corbyn c/o The Labour Party'.

imitationleather

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on November 26, 2019, 06:52:07 PM
I often wonder about this. As far as I know, your money is only insured against the banks going under to the tune of £85,000 per account. So you get £105,000,000 and you have to open 1235.2 bank accounts to guarantee your moneys safe? Fuck that, I reckon.

Put it all in crypto.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Funcrusher on November 26, 2019, 06:55:02 PM
Would be cool to have won this and pop into Lottery HQ and say 'I'd like you to make a cheque for 50M to Mr J Corbyn c/o The Labour Party'.
yeah id do this. Any political donation laws that would frustrate this?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Small Man Big Horse

You could put it all in to property, and that'd have the added bonus of becoming enormously popular on here.

I've often had stupid daydreams about what I'd do if I won the Lottery, more than you'd expect for someone who never really plays it. In none of those fantasies would the thought: "I'll carry on working though" feature.

What's wrong with this guy? You're free mate, you don't have to do that shit anymore.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Total dullard shithead cunt, is one suggestion.

idunnosomename

I got the gist this bloke is going to finish the jobs he has at the moment because you know, he has to. I mean he could find another builder but easier to do it himself really

Cuellar

I think I'd go around all handing out 20s to the homeless and I'd buy a really really big telly and house and several cars, big ones.

idunnosomename

i dont know what i'd do because it would be incredibly complicated to work out how to best use a sum like this for public good, and anyway it isn't going to happen because despite being incredibly unlikely I fucking hate gambling so I don't do it

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Every winner is anonymous by default. Why the hell would you pass on that? I can never wrap my head round anybody who chooses to make it public when they've won a stupid amount of money like that.

They could be the nicest people in the world and pledge to donate 90% to charity but still, well done, enjoy the begging letters and distant relatives coming out the woodwork.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 26, 2019, 02:58:27 PM
The ghoulishness of the lottery.

Nah, it's a lottery.  Could have been a decent person; on this occasion that is perhaps in question.  Next week it will probably be a good 'un.  It's...a lottery.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on November 26, 2019, 11:42:46 PM
Every winner is anonymous by default. Why the hell would you pass on that? I can never wrap my head round anybody who chooses to make it public when they've won a stupid amount of money like that.

Well, he's Steve, isn't he?

Quote from: Steveat the end of the day I am still Steve

I admire his commitment to remaining Steve.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on November 26, 2019, 11:42:46 PM

They could be the nicest people in the world and pledge to donate 90% to charity but still, well done, enjoy the begging letters and distant relatives coming out the woodwork.

Not to mention threats of extortion.  It's an incredibly foolish thing to do, to make your lottery win public knowledge.  The lottery advisors supposedly tell the big winners as much, but I guess for some the narcissistic desire to show off to the world is too great.

buttgammon

A bloke I know only found out his best mate won something like €80 million on the Euromillions a year or two after the event because he was so intent on keeping it quiet. He even did things like moving into a nice but not insanely extravagant house so as not to seem like he was showing off. It's a million miles away from how people I know have behaved after sudden windfalls (and inevitably squandering a few million quid in a year or two).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 26, 2019, 02:58:27 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-50559136

Well, That's handy for him. He won't have to rely on the royalties from repeats of them episodes of " The Office" in which he plays Finchy, or doing voiceovers for ad bumpers on " Dave"  now.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ray Travez on November 27, 2019, 01:17:31 AM
Well, he's Steve, isn't he?

I admire his commitment to remaining Steve.
to be fair i would be straight down the deed poll office to be renamed Richy Cashpots

Icehaven

Quote from: buttgammon on November 27, 2019, 09:08:57 AM
A bloke I know only found out his best mate won something like €80 million on the Euromillions a year or two after the event because he was so intent on keeping it quiet. He even did things like moving into a nice but not insanely extravagant house so as not to seem like he was showing off.

The cynic in me would suspect it's not just to not be showing off, but also so he didn't have to give anyone any money. I mean there's huge differences between going public, or just telling everyone you know personally, or just telling a few close friends and family, or not telling even your best mate, and the last option does smack of wanting to minimize the number of expectant faces. Unless you genuinely don't want to splurge serious cash on anything (in which case if you also don't want to give any of it away, why play the lottery at all?) it can't be easy living modestly enough that no one suspects you've got serious money, particularly if you weren't that well off before. I mean surely if most people suddenly do something not vast but still clearly out of their price range like quitting work with no obvious alternative income, buying a brand new car or taking exotic holidays it's going to be pretty obvious they've either taken up drug dealing or had a massive windfall they're attempting to hide.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: icehaven on November 26, 2019, 03:22:57 PM
If you win that amount of money can you just put it in your normal bank account or do you have to open some kind of special account for ridiculous amounts?

I'm sure it would be a special bank account that gives ridiculously high interest rates, whether at their current bank or an alternative one. Also I'm sure the banks would be jockeying for position to get their hands on that loot. They'd be offering all sorts of incentives and enticements and the financial adviser would initially be there to tell you which one to go for. Or to spread it over multiple accounts. After that the advice would where to invest it I imagine.

Money is funny. If you bank 100 million quid it's the bank that will have the most exposure to and access to your cash. You're only ever going to interact with a few million of it at a time at the most, buying a house or a yacht or what have you. The bank will still have access to the lion's share of it for most of, if not all of the time. Unless you invest in property or whatever. Even then you'd have to have an accountant that you trust because they could be living on their own private island guarded by their own private army before you even know the cash is gone if you weren't careful.

Like atoms and sub atomic particles, money acts a lot differently depending on the size of it and 100 million odd is a totally different game.

checkoutgirl

With that kind of money you could conceivably found your own bank just to look after your own cash.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 26, 2019, 08:35:12 PM
You could put it all in to property, and that'd have the added bonus of becoming enormously popular on here.

That kind of cash almost demands to be put into property, or art.