Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:57:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marriage Story

Started by peanutbutter, November 27, 2019, 09:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Wealthy New Yorker theatre people going through a divorce, by Noah Baumbach. Sat through the whole thing wondering why I found these privileged people okay but I've found ones in similar such films infuriating and I still don't totally know why beyond "maybe Noah Baumbach is a bit better than most the people in that bubble who make these films???"

Liked it a lot, suffers from feeling like it's wrapping up like two thirds of the way in though (i.e. 100 min in out of ~140 or so) but I think if I was aware of that beforehand it wouldn't have been an issue. Great performances and some touches that feel like they must've been taken from his own divorce cos they're just crushing.

Anyone see it? Is it your favourite Noah Baumbach film about a divorce? Why/why not?

bgmnts

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 27, 2019, 09:47:32 PM
Wealthy New Yorker theatre people going through a divorce

I'm out.

The new Woody Allen, except less good, but at least he's not an appalling pervert.

Schnapple

Thought this was wonderful and humane. Rare example of a filmmaker at the height of their powers but choosing to continue doing personal, intimate work, perhaps even more so than before. Did feel like a Proper Film from The Seventies.

another Mr. Lizard

Watched this, and Judy & Punch, at my local arthouse a couple of days ago and they made a surprisingly thematic/connected double bill, broadly in terms of examining domestic turmoil, but with smaller details contained in both too (brass musical instruments appearing at significant moments, for one). Baumbach has been the most reliably consistent US director of the past few years, and working for Netflix has proved a good fit, giving the space for him to let his actors do their stuff in impressive long takes and weighty dialogue exchanges. The leads are fine, but the sparring lawyers stole the show for me - Oscar for Laura Dern next year?

It's excellent (if you are into this genre of movie - 90s Woody Allen is a good comp). Never laughed so hard at a man slicing his arm open.

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on November 28, 2019, 01:42:59 PM
Oscar for Laura Dern next year?

I'm never opposed to Laura Dern winning an Oscar, though really she was barely in this even by Supporting Actress standards. I think Adam Driver and ScarJo should both be serious contenders to win though.

Dex Sawash

I thought Ali MacGraw died in the first one

phantom_power

I am looking forward to this. Baumbach's are always interesting, unexpected, complicated things where you aren't told what to think about a group of rounded, complex characters.

VelourSpirit

This looks stunning, it really does have that kind of 70s look to it

PeasOnSticks

Saw this tonight. Good stuff. Lots of light and shade to the characters, and great performances. Nice to see Alan Alda again, and Julie Hagerty. Can understand the Woody Allen comparisons, and there's clearly an influence, but this is way better than anything Allen's put out for 20 years or so. Feels like a proper film, full of resonances and interesting details.

I saw this today and both leads are good, but there's nothing new. Felt a bit stagey in parts. I had no idea that lawyer was Ray Liotta until the end credits.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, I'm with thecuriousorange. At the end of the day it's not got much more depth than your average romantic drama, but some scenes were exceptionally well done and the performances were great. What frustrates me was that the realism and relatability of a handful of scenes was undermined by the goofiness of other bits. And yeah - rich theatre cunts spending tens of thousands of dollars to have an argument, and the argument itself being about very rich-people things (basically "I want to move to LA to do acting, and you don't!"), with very little done to highlight the absurdity of presenting that to an audience who (most likely) have very little sympathy for people in that position.

Blue Valentine is by far the superior "breakdown of a relationship" film, but this was good enough. Not terrible by any means.

greenman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 08, 2019, 02:12:23 AM
Yeah, I'm with thecuriousorange. At the end of the day it's not got much more depth than your average romantic drama, but some scenes were exceptionally well done and the performances were great. What frustrates me was that the realism and relatability of a handful of scenes was undermined by the goofiness of other bits. And yeah - rich theatre cunts spending tens of thousands of dollars to have an argument, and the argument itself being about very rich-people things (basically "I want to move to LA to do acting, and you don't!"), with very little done to highlight the absurdity of presenting that to an audience who (most likely) have very little sympathy for people in that position.

Blue Valentine is by far the superior "breakdown of a relationship" film, but this was good enough. Not terrible by any means.

I mean to be fair there was more self awareness of this than I expected in the two lead characters arguments although arguably no catharsis to it.

I wouldn't say the drama between the leads was entirely going for realism in how far some of the arguments went but yeah there did feel like a divide between that and a more comedic takedown of divorce legalities which I'm not sure really came together fully. The latter was I think pretty good, the former had excellent performances from both leads which I'd say is the main reason to watch it, I'd be surprised if they both don't get at least Oscar noms.

Lots of Blue comparisons as well, Valentine and Warmest Colour I think being better recent relationship breakdown films with some scene very similar to the big dramatic ones here. Allen wise as well it reminded me most of Jasmine in terms of having exellent performance/s feeling like they were trying to break out of the films limitations.

The great cast elevated the material, which was pretty rudimentary. Four stars.

bgmnts

touchingcloth

I enjoyed it a lot, but mainly because...

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 09, 2019, 06:49:48 PM
The great cast elevated the material, which was pretty rudimentary. Four stars.

The scene climaxing with Driver's character punching the wall was a great example. Slightly overblown writing, but performed and directed incredibly well so it felt very real. Loved the bit where he sang Being Alive, but then stick a bit of Sondheim on anywhere and I'm a happy person.

poo

Lack of knobs going in and out, but still a decent film.

grassbath

I adored this. Was also initially put off by the privilege levels but the characters were so well-drawn and their struggle so realistic that it didn't matter. Welled up about three times. Should have known it was a Randy Newman score.

chveik

our civilization really deserves to collapse.

sevendaughters

thought it was okay and well acted but the tonal changes into awkward comedy with the lawyers were annoying, in fact just the whole lawyering thing and how fucking shallow and easily manipulated Scarlett Johansson's character was threw me out of the dramatic thrust with 64 slices of America-as-a-world-cunt forcefed down my throat. maybe i didn't give it a fair go.

Sin Agog

That scene where Scarjo pops by Driver's gaff for a visit was great.  Stagey and sub-Cassavetes, but as two actors going on a wee little journey from pent-up to doubled-up in tears it was lovely to see.  You need nothing more than a camera and a couple of good actors to achieve that kind of shit.

Bence Fekete

Honestly tired of how many films the Adam Driver ruins with his very wooden acting. Classic example of a whole generation being hoodwinked by presence/mild charisma over depth, substance and agility. 

SJ was fantastic though and I thoroughlly believed in her character. The film is well made but when you hate the second lead whatyagonnado?

sevendaughters

honestly think he's the opposite of wooden, the song was the very definition of lightness

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 13, 2020, 11:07:03 AM
honestly think he's the opposite of wooden, the song was the very definition of lightness

I find him very watchable.

Bence Fekete

He's watchable, but always plays the same geeky, lanky, planky fellah in literally everything he does. Great when the role fits like Don Quixote or even against type like in Silence. But I never sense evil in him. I never think he could kill a man.

bgmnts

Yeah Adam Driver's a bit crap to be honest. Just a big tall hunky lad.

Dewt

He looks like a witch's slab

chveik

Quote from: Bence Fekete on January 13, 2020, 08:34:45 PM
I never think he could kill a man.

probably the reason why he left the military.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Quote from: poo on December 21, 2019, 09:07:55 AM
Lack of knobs going in and out, but still a decent film.

the clue is in the title but I gave up after 10 mins, too grim