Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:45:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the most foolish thing you've done with money?

Started by touchingcloth, November 28, 2019, 02:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

This thread reminds me of a guy I used to work with who was perpetually in bleak amounts of debt, got a big tax rebate amount from an old job and immediately bought an outlandishly expensive massive animatronic dancing James Brown dummy. To quote my supervisor at the time "Oh, Barry!"

peanutbutter

A transatlantic flight that due to absent mindedness I had to reschedule 3 different times that altogether was way more expensive than just buying one on the day I imagine

Icehaven

Quote from: non capisco on November 29, 2019, 08:43:23 AM
This thread reminds me of a guy I used to work with who was perpetually in bleak amounts of debt, got a big tax rebate amount from an old job and immediately bought an outlandishly expensive massive animatronic dancing James Brown dummy. To quote my supervisor at the time "Oh, Barry!"

I have two friends who do this on a slightly different scale. One of them was actually homeless for a while a few years ago after months of sofa surfing, and now lives in a slightly derelict caravan, busks for a living and often asks friends for 'loans' (never to be repaid), but as soon as he gets slightly more money than he needs for food or phone credit he spends the lot on records and (unnecessary) clothes, and has in the past posted photos of his latest purchases on facebook so all the friends who just lent him £50 can see. The other is always going on about how much spiralling debt he and his wife are in, how much they'll never get out of it etc., but then in the next breath he'll be buying a new guitar, or amp, or pedal (and not cheap ones either) presumably on a credit card.

I get how when you're skint and/or in loads of debt, that treating yourself can make you feel better even when you know you shouldn't spend that money, I've certainly done it myself, but the difference is I didn't moan endlessly about being skint, or borrow the money, or post about it on social media. I keep my shiteness with money to myself thank you very much, just seems like common sense rather than literally inviting people to question your poor financial logic.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: non capisco on November 29, 2019, 08:43:23 AM

fucking hell barry

non capisco

It was exactly that design but the size of a human child!

NoSleep

shiftwork2

I missed the last train back to Norwich from Liverpool St and, instead of spending the equivalent sum money on something proper memorable like a night at The Ritz, I got a taxi home.  £275.  I even tried to tip him but he refused.

flotemysost

Bought the CD single of Can't Get You Out Of My Head by Kylie Minogue around the time of its release. Not an unwise purchase in itself, but a friend then pointed out that I already owned whatever Now! CD it was that had that track on it (which had been a Christmas present from an aunt or something). Only a few quid, but a significant amount to be spaffing away at that age.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 28, 2019, 11:21:31 AM
Nice food. It's just poo, isn't it.

I do sometimes wonder what my most expensive poo has been. I got taken out for some fancy grub recently as a belated birthday present, and the next morning sat on the bog thinking about the net worth of my offerings. Michelin star or Morrisons, it all ends up the same; shitting is truly the great leveler.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Lost Oliver on November 29, 2019, 08:37:37 AM
Had a tenner left of my overdraft and the next student loan came in two weeks time so what did I do? I spent £9.50 of it on a mixed kebab meal with chips.

Mate that sounds lush though

imitationleather

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 29, 2019, 02:59:44 PM
I missed the last train back to Norwich from Liverpool St and, instead of spending the equivalent sum money on something proper memorable like a night at The Ritz, I got a taxi home.  £275.  I even tried to tip him but he refused.

What in Norwich could possibly be important enough for that?

It better be some tragic and sad!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fucking hell, I'd have gone out til 2am then availed myself of one of our fine capital's park benches until the first train of the day rather than do that.

N.B- Just to confirm my awareness that you are posting the above because you already know it was foolish.

Cuntbeaks

idunnosomename

Quote from: easytarget on November 29, 2019, 06:23:28 AM
Bullet! Train!
Bullet! Train!
It's barely better than what Maiden were doing at the time.

It's not Painkiller? It's not fucking Turbo*

*Turbo is brilliant. It's not Ram it Down (right through the heart of this town).
huh. Bullet Train is one of the least controversial songs there, along Cathedral Spires anyway. But I've always liked The X Factor so whatever.

Thing I refused to waste money on was Nostradamus. Awful, tedious, boring, pompous, silly mess.

(Turbo is solid, agree on that btw, more consistent than any of their 80s albums probably)

checkoutgirl

Quote from: flotemysost on November 30, 2019, 01:27:20 PMMichelin star or Morrisons, it all ends up the same

But you're not paying for a turd to come out of your arse when you have an expensive meal. If you were then we could just speed it up and pay Gordon Ramsey to gently slide a frozen bum nugget up your ring with some sort of lubricant like KY Jelly or garlic butter. Then you could just pop to the toilet and ease that stinkin' mother fucker back out into the bowl.

But you're not paying for that are you? You're paying for an hour or two of relief from your humdrum, pathetic life. And for a full stomach. And being waited on. And booze. And tasty taste sensations of the food variety. And maybe a view. And maybe being out of the cold and rain. Or not paying, whatever the case may be.

I also have to pick you up on your assertion that paying money for a Kylie record is not an unwise purchase. It's the very definition of it.

checkoutgirl

Little over a year ago I was at a mates 40th and was getting the bus back to Dublin. Had about 5 pints and then went and queued for the bus. Was feeling the need for a piss but shrugged it off. Mistake. I should have wazzed in the bushes or against a bin. Got to Balbriggan before the kidney failure piss burst kicked in so told the driver to stop. Had a slash in the pub toilet and asked them to ring a taxi because I'd got off the last bus home.

€60 that piss cost me.

ProvanFan

honeychile

Quote from: non capisco on November 29, 2019, 08:43:23 AMThis thread reminds me of a guy I used to work with who was perpetually in bleak amounts of debt, got a big tax rebate amount from an old job and immediately bought an outlandishly expensive massive animatronic dancing James Brown dummy.

Twit 2

Kin hell mate! You should have texted me. I'd have given you a lift for £270!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: bgmnts on November 30, 2019, 08:57:55 PM
Restaurant culture I suppose. Hate it all.

It"s fook all to do with you though. Eat sleep drink fuck. What else is there to do in life? Cut out 25% if you want mate but why would you bother telling anyone? Unless you have something of value to add in which case I'm all ears.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: ProvanFan on November 30, 2019, 09:37:21 PM
My shites are quite varied, actually.

Does the variance correlate with the quality of food or is it completely random? I'm guessing you haven't kept notes?

Piggyoioi

just bought a £15 pack of Golden Virginia after a week break, self destructively foolish.

ProvanFan

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 01, 2019, 01:23:47 AM
Does the variance correlate with the quality of food or is it completely random? I'm guessing you haven't kept notes?

Mate I did my PhD faeces on it.

Flatulent Fox

Buying a Granite kitchen from Goomtree.
The struggle continues.

As an aside:

My mate John P once told me about when he moved to a Glasgow bedsit,he sent Ronny(a mate of a mate) to buy a washing machine which they all chipped in for.

Ronny disappeared for 3 days,then returned with an industrial tumble-drier.

Piggyoioi

throughout the day i think about the guy that spend £5k on switch games and think, you're actually doing ok mate, relax, you're not him.

bgmnts

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 01, 2019, 01:20:40 AM
It"s fook all to do with you though. Eat sleep drink fuck. What else is there to do in life? Cut out 25% if you want mate but why would you bother telling anyone? Unless you have something of value to add in which case I'm all ears.

Eh paying over the odds for a bit of shit ravioli or salmon you could make at home just to feel like you're important? Better ways to spend money I reckon.