Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,480
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:00:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Previously we offered you ice skating...

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 28, 2019, 08:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

this year enjoy four giant "Christmas presents" we've spent £112,000* on:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-50229448

Wonder how long it will be before one of them gets vandalised (Not a Derby-specific criticism, I can imagine this happening anywhere)

I also think that given the climate emergency councils shouldn't be involved in stuff like the Norwich Tunnel of Light and the Derby Christmas presents which will be "switched on" tomorrow. It's a waste of electricity and contributes to climate change.

*"A spokeswoman said the four presents cost about £80,000, with a further £32,000 to cover the cost of programming the thousands of individual lights, installation, removal and storage for use in following years."

BlodwynPig

Shoved in a cheap storage unit with a mouldering Mr Blobby and the black and white minstrels.

timebug

I am from Derby and this shite is typical. In the market Place,where these monstrosities are is the 'fountain'. The Market Place is a large open area,about an acre in size; it was decided years ago to build a fountain to brighten up the open space.Placed in the centre of the area it could have been a nice thing. But what we got, was built in one corner,with it's back to the open space,as though ashamed to be there.As it should be!
Call me a thicko, but doesn't a fountain shoot water UPWARDS and it then cascades back down?
We got a concrete thing with a waterfall over it. Commonly know (and used) as the biggest urinal in town.And often turned off, as the water sprays everywhere and floods the area. Fucking genius, I call it.

bgmnts

Ronnie Brown of Blachere Illumination has rinsed the council, that's nice.

Fambo Number Mive

According to Wikipedia:

QuoteThe council is led by a Conservative administration, supported by a confidence and supply agreement with the Liberal Democrats and Brexit Party.

I'm not totally against local government spending on such things, but given it was reported in Summer 2018 that the council had a  £23 million hole in its finances, I do wonder whether the council might have reconsidered spending a six figure sum on this.

dissolute ocelot

Come to Edinburgh where they've covered an entire park in dodgy scaffolding to set up a series of sausage huts. Locals are eagerly awaiting the entire structure collapsing and 10000s of tourists plummeting onto the railway tracks. Edinburgh's reputation as the most misanthropic city in Scotland will not be tarnished!

samadriel

...And I said nothing, for I was not an ice skater.