Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:22:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Simpsons might actually be finishing

Started by Misspent Boners, November 28, 2019, 07:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Elfman has split the beans very casually in a recent interview

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/nov/28/bye-caramba-the-simpsons-composer-claims-the-show-is-coming-to-an-end

Seems odd that he'd be so nonchalant about that information when no other sources have said the same. Apparently the 30th season was the all time low in viewership. At this point I couldn't care either way as like most I switched off to it years ago and forget it's still running

imitationleather

Eighteen years ago I would have given a shit.

Small Man Big Horse

Al Jean's stated that it's not true on twitter, plus Fox renewed it for season 32 earlier this year, so it seems like Elfman got it wrong.

Thursday

Surely Elfman has nothing to do with the show anymore and he was just talking shit based on some idle conversation.

Chriddof

In all honesty, when I saw this news I briefly felt a sense of relief. Even though it's not turned out to be true, my completely instinctual reaction to that article was not too far removed from learning that a very ill family member wracked by Alzheimer's no longer had to suffer.

McFlymo

I saw about 8 top news sites post this non-story (Independent, Irishexaminer, Daily Mail, Metro and The Sun among them).

Click-bait (for?) cunts!

alan nagsworth

What's Elfman like as a person? Is he a bit of a twat? He sounds like a bit of a twat in that small excerpt on which I have chosen to scornfully and totally judge him

Thursday

He's a composer that works on Hollywood movies and tv shows. How good can he possibly be as a person?

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Chriddof on November 28, 2019, 08:08:22 PM
In all honesty, when I saw this news I briefly felt a sense of relief. Even though it's not turned out to be true, my completely instinctual reaction to that article was not too far removed from learning that a very ill family member wracked by Alzheimer's no longer had to suffer.
This is the second time I've seen someone compare The Simpsons to a dementia-stricken elderly relative. The first time was a comment on the original jumptheshark.com and it must have been close to twenty years ago.

sutin

Quote from: Thursday on November 28, 2019, 11:35:44 PM
He's a composer that works on Hollywood movies and tv shows. How good can he possibly be as a person?
He was also the lead singer of one of the greatest bands of the '80s.

dallasman

Quote from: sutin on November 29, 2019, 12:42:14 AM

You're thinking of Trevor Rabin.

dallasman

Quote from: Chriddof on November 28, 2019, 08:08:22 PM

I'd say "long-term coma patient", but otherwise, yeah. It doesn't really bother me that they keep going, but it just seems tidier, more orderly for that era to officially be over now. I was still watching up to season 20 or 21, and the idea that a whole new generation has fallen in love with the show since then, just doesn't compute. On the other hand, Al Jean is such a loveable guy, I can see why they would keep going to avoid hurting his feelings.

Goldentony

honestly man that whole LA scene Elfman was in with fucking Oingo Boingo and Wall Of Voodoo and Valley Girl and everything else, other stuff like that - full on cokehead rich boys with Nicolas Cage and Robert Downey Jr at the fucking top

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, Bernard Herrmann, John Williams, what a pair of cunts. And as for that Neil Hefti, don't get me started.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 29, 2019, 02:20:11 AM
Yeah, Bernard Herrmann, John Williams, what a pair of cunts. And as for that Neil Hefti, don't get me started.

Wasn't Bernard Herrmann a famously difficult man with a violent temper?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 29, 2019, 09:55:06 AM

You're thinking of Bernard Cribbins.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 29, 2019, 09:55:06 AM
He argued and feuded with Hitchcock, who doesn't seem to have been the easiest person to work with, but reportedly was more cranky and eccentric than nasty:
QuoteWhen William Friedkin approached Herrmann to score "The Exorcist," for instance, he taunted the distinguished old composer: "I want you to give me a better score that you wrote for 'Citizen Kane.' " To which Herrmann responded: "Well, why didn't ya make a better picture than 'Citizen Kane?' "
I guess his loss was Mike Oldfield's gain.

As for Elfman, how can anyone diss the man who composed the music for The Nightmare Before Christmas and all the shimmery twinkly sounds of Ed Scis?

thenoise

It ended for me when Futurama began. Although I didn't last longer than a season of Futurama, I still never went back.

I still think that was about 5 years ago though, so what the hell do I know?

kngen

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 29, 2019, 04:51:26 PM
I guess his loss was Mike Oldfield's gain.

I think I'm Team Bernie on this one. Not only is it a pretty good comeback, I don't think it's unreasonable to be ever so slightly protective of your involvement in 'The Greatest Film Ever Made.'* Also, wasn't Friedkin regarded as a top-tier unreasonable, spiky prick in Hollywood anyway (or did that only really surface after The Exorcist came out)?

*Whether it is or not is debatable, but, as Mad Max 2 hadn't come out yet by that point, it definitely had a strong claim for the title.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Goldentony on November 29, 2019, 01:36:28 AM
honestly man that whole LA scene Elfman was in with fucking Oingo Boingo and Wall Of Voodoo and Valley Girl and everything else, other stuff like that - full on cokehead rich boys with Nicolas Cage and Robert Downey Jr at the fucking top

Sounds good to me.

Jim Bob

I admire their won't to end things when the creativity money well runs dry.

EDIT: Oh, it's fake news?  In that case, my admiration levels remains unaffected, that is to say; tepid.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: sutin on November 29, 2019, 12:42:14 AM

You know it. Oingo Boingo and Devo are the bands that sound tracked my college years in the 90s.

sutin

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on November 30, 2019, 03:46:59 PM
You know it. Oingo Boingo and Devo are the bands that sound tracked my college years in the 90s.
You're a person of fine taste! Well, when you were in college at the very least.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 29, 2019, 04:51:26 PMI guess his loss was Mike Oldfield's gain.

Friedkin then asked Lalo Schiffrin to write the score. He didn't like the result and hired instead Jack Nitzsche, also using as much of the temp tracks as he could because it was shortly before release.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 29, 2019, 02:20:11 AM

Bernard Hermann? What a cunt. Lent him a fiver in 1974 and I never saw it again. And don't get me started on Randy Newman. Tying women to farming equipment I can put up with but did you know he composed music for Hollywood films and TV shows?

Subhuman scum.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 02, 2019, 08:36:57 AM
Bernard Hermann? What a cunt. Lent him a fiver in 1974 and I never saw it again. And don't get me started on Randy Newman. Tying women to farming equipment I can put up with but did you know he composed music for Hollywood films and TV shows?

Subhuman scum.

QuoteRandy Newman was on good form last week, bitching about Clint Eastwood's score for Mystic River. "Suddenly the music got better ... then I realised it was a cell phone ringing."

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2004/feb/27/1

Leo2112

Azaria will no longer voice Apu - https://deadline.com/2020/01/the-simpsons-hank-azaria-says-no-longer-voice-apu-1202834294/

QuoteHank Azaria says he will no longer be voicing the controversial character Apu on The Simpsons. Azaria made the comment in an interview with Slashfilm at the Television Critics Association's Winter Press Tour following a panel for his IFC show Brockmire.

"All we know there is I won't be doing the voice anymore, unless there's some way to transition it or something," Azaria told the publication. "We all made the decision together... We all agreed on it. We all feel like it's the right thing and good about it."

samadriel

rue the polywhirl

i hope they find all new voices for Groundskeeper Willie and other beyond-the-pale stereotypes. From now on, characters in the show can't be played others of different nationalities and ideally should only be voiced by themselves.