Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Billionaire Mail owner buys i

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 29, 2019, 02:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe owner of the Daily Mail, DMGT, has bought the i newspaper and website for £49.6m from JPI Media.

DMGT chairman Lord Rothermere said the paper was "a highly respected publication with a loyal and engaged readership".

"We are committed to. preserving its distinctive, high-quality and politically independent editorial style."

The Competition and Markets Authority will have to approve the deal...

If the DMGT deal is approved, the UK's national newspapers will be owned by just six companies.

DMGT already owns the Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday and Metro.

Reach, formerly known as Trinity Mirror, owns the Daily Mirror, Sunday People, Daily Express, Daily Star and associated Sunday titles.

News UK, which is part of Rupert Murdoch's media empire, News Corp, owns the Times, Sunday Times and Sun.

The Telegraph Media Group, owned by billionaire brothers Sir Fredrick and Sir David Barclay, owns the Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph.

The Guardian Media Group owns the Guardian and Observer.

And the Financial Times is owned by Japanese media firm Nikkei, after being sold by UK publishing group Pearson in 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50598506

Glad Corbyn is raising the issue of media ownership. At least eight of our newspapers are owned by billonaires, yet most people are unaware of this and don't consider why they attack the leader of a party which wants to make society more equal.

Norton Canes

Damn, my favourite crossword. Hopefully will still be able to download it free online.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Crossword was my first thought too (in my metropolitan elite BUBBLE)

Oh well. Tossers.

canadagoose

Ah shit, the last ok paper. Oh well, guess I won't be buying that now.

Fambo Number Mive

Chollis

thought you just didn't finish the thread title there!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

mported sexy ladies in black friday blow out.

canadagoose

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 29, 2019, 02:38:20 PM
The Mirror's not too bad is it?
Ah, really? Maybe I'll try it next time I'm needing something to read.

Head Gardener

Quote from: canadagoose on November 29, 2019, 03:58:02 PM
Ah, really? Maybe I'll try it next time I'm needing something to read.

I went from The Mirror to the i as it was summat like 20p when it was launched but it's triple that now and will probably go up, so basically we're all fucked

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 29, 2019, 02:38:20 PM
The Mirror's not too bad is it?
left-leaning politics but lots of exploitative twaddle on celebs etc. Just splash out on Viz.

Well this seems an interesting topic, I wonder what it's about and maybe this time it's-

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 29, 2019, 02:14:13 PM
Glad Corbyn is raising the issue

Oh, I see. You baited me in with an innocuous title, but it turns out to be another Corbyn thread. Let's all sit down for 'a little bit of politics'.

idunnosomename

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 30, 2019, 01:31:06 PM
I cant believe all this politics

Okay, I know it's a politically heated moment in time, and we are supposed to take a side. It's just that, for me, personally, I have no faith in politicians of any stripe. I think they're a bunch of dirty recidivist sleazebags. And I know I'm right.

Fambo Number Mive

I don't see how a thread on newspapers and newspaper ownership can avoid politics. This isn't a Corbyn thread but I thought a comment on Corbyn and newspaper.ownership was reasonable.

Johnny Yesno

Perhaps it's time to subscribe to Novara, who have just recently made a video about media ownership. What that BBC article fails to mention in its figures is that 60% of newspapers are owned by two companies and 83% are owned by three:

Media Impartiality? It's Scone: https://youtu.be/15WJGYTVImg?t=27m37s

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 30, 2019, 03:04:27 PM
I don't see how a thread on newspapers and newspaper ownership can avoid politics. This isn't a Corbyn thread but I thought a comment on Corbyn and newspaper.ownership was reasonable.

Yeah it's reasonable, it's fair enough.

I hope Corbyn does win the election, so that I don't have to keep hearing about him every day. My mum's boyfriend is a Labour man, and he likes to pontificate about how we should all vote for Corbyn. I come onto this website for a bit escapism and... everyone's talking about Corbyn.

lipsink

If Corbyn does win the election you'll probably hear more about him!

If he loses he'll probably step down and the newspapers will have to find something else to focus on.

chveik

Quote from: lipsink on November 30, 2019, 04:44:48 PM
If Corbyn does win the election you'll probably hear more about him!

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see Boris deposed. He's an embarrassment to the UK.

I just don't think I want Corbyn to replace him. I'm gonna vote for the Green party instead. Screw you, Corbynites!

Fambo Number Mive

The best way to depose Johnson is to vote Labour.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 30, 2019, 04:36:12 PM
I hope Corbyn does win the election, so that I don't have to keep hearing about him every day. My mum's boyfriend is a Labour man, and he likes to pontificate about how we should all vote for Corbyn. I come onto this website for a bit escapism and... everyone's talking about Corbyn.

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 30, 2019, 04:52:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, I would like to see Boris deposed. He's an embarrassment to the UK.

I just don't think I want Corbyn to replace him. I'm gonna vote for the Green party instead. Screw you, Corbynites!

'This comment'll really stop the thread being about Corbyn, I reckon.'

Johnny Yesno

Good news your mum got herself a decent boyfriend, btw.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 30, 2019, 05:17:55 PM
The best way to depose Johnson is to vote Labour.

Labour have a lot to answer for. The Blair years scunnered me on Labour.

I'd prefer to vote Green. And people will say, 'That's a wasted vote.' But I don't believe there's any such thing as a wasted vote. If you have made your opinion known, then your vote was a success.

Fambo Number Mive

I was not a fan of New Labour, but Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott were opposed to Iraq, opposed to PFI and opposed to Labour being like the Tories. Labour now is completly different from New Labour. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be a Labour member and supporter.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 30, 2019, 05:28:37 PM
Labour have a lot to answer for. The Blair years scunnered me on Labour.

C'mon now. You've not been paying attention.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tony-blair-says-he-wouldn-t-want-a-left-wing-labour-party-to-win-an-election-10406928.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/23/tony-blair-vote-tory-or-lib-dem-where-they-are-open-minded-on-brexit

Sadly, I can't find the article where Blair very helpfully stated that Labour is no longer the party he led. You'll have to take my word for it if you can't find it yourself.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 30, 2019, 05:31:12 PM
Labour now is completly different from New Labour.

And what do you think will happen when Corbyn gets into power? Do you think he'll stand up to Trump? I doubt it. He'll probably let daddy Donny take him by the hand and dance him down the pathway.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 30, 2019, 05:45:18 PM
And what do you think will happen when Corbyn gets into power? Do you think he'll stand up to Trump? I doubt it. He'll probably let daddy Donny take him by the hand and dance him down the pathway.

lolwhut?

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Keeping this thread on topic, I guess Default is an exemplar of why the right's domination of print and online media is so useful for influencing elections.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 30, 2019, 05:48:21 PM
lolwhut?

I was referring back to that time when Bush took Blair by the hand and walked him along like a little boy.