Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:29:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Billionaire Mail owner buys i

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 29, 2019, 02:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 30, 2019, 05:54:23 PM
Keeping this thread on topic, I guess Default is an exemplar of why the right's domination of print and online media is so useful for influencing elections.

What do you mean by this? You think I'm a right-wing propagandist, just because I don't worship at the altar of Jeremy Corbyn?

Thursday

Got to say Default to the negative, you're an idiot, also you seem kind of bigoted and ignorant. Your posts are bad and unfunny. Maybe you should stop coming here. That'd be good.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 30, 2019, 05:59:19 PM
What do you mean by this? You think I'm a right-wing propagandist, just because I don't worship at the altar of Jeremy Corbyn?

No, I just think your views have been totally distorted by the diet of bullshit you've been consuming. Your sarcastic 'worship at the altar of Jeremy Corbyn' says an awful lot.

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 30, 2019, 05:55:36 PM
I was referring back to that time when Bush took Blair by the hand and walked him along like a little boy.

See my comment above about Blair. If you haven't noticed that the party has significantly changed under Corbyn, I don't know what more we can do to get your attention.

Fambo Number Mive

Do many of you buy the i paper and will the fact that the owner of the Mail has purchased it (subject to approval) stop you buying it?

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 30, 2019, 06:08:15 PM
If you haven't noticed that the party has significantly changed under Corbyn, I don't know what more we can do to get your attention.

Alright, okay. I'll give Corbyn a chance, if it's so bloody important to people.

pigamus

As an aside, isn't it daft to give a newspaper a name you can't Google?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 30, 2019, 06:16:47 PM
Alright, okay. I'll give Corbyn a chance, if it's so bloody important to people.

It is bloody important to people for whom Johnson getting elected would be an utter catastrophe. Which is anyone who isn't comfortably off.

Rest assured, Corbyn won't be holding hands with Trump. He'd get the boot. Too many activists have given their spare time for free to Labour for this election and hundreds of thousands of members have given as much money as they can afford (political funding being another massive difference between Corbyn and Blair).

Also, you might want to take a look at this: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/28/radical-left-power-election-uk-occupy-labour

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 30, 2019, 06:10:06 PM
Do many of you buy the i paper and will the fact that the owner of the Mail has purchased it (subject to approval) stop you buying it?

I tend to buy it on a Saturday and occasionally in the week. Partly because of the excellent puzzle section but generally it's very good so bit gutted that it now presents a moral dilemma.

Interestingly there's a Q and A in it today about this which, to paraphrase says our new evil overlords won't be doing anything to change the paper, they bought it because it's successful as it is and please keep buying us because we won't turn into the Daily Mail.

AsparagusTrevor

I work for the company from whom the the i was bought, our office in Sheffield didn't have much to do with the paper but we occasionally covered things when people from the London office were unavailable. Reach were originally interested in the i but they pulled out. The email we received to tell us the news mentioned that nothing would change staff-wise and it would be business as usual - for now.

We were hanging on by a thread before the sale so now we're just quietly waiting for the rest of our titles to be sold off, dissolved, consolidated or combinations of these.

There are several of our local titles which may be of some value to other companies but a lot of them are piddly little community things that not many people would miss. In the past few years many of the reporters were made redundant, local offices closed and centralised hubs were created instead - this had the effect of cheapening the titles which all ended up as identically templated and full of content ripped from social media and generic filler to pad things out.

Jittlebags

Twit 2

Replies From View

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 30, 2019, 05:55:36 PM
I was referring back to that time when Bush took Blair by the hand and walked him along like a little boy.

Why on earth would you bring up something so random and irrelevant?

Honestly, if, when faced with Boris Johnson on the one hand and Jeremy Corbyn one the other, you go cross-eyed and think "these parties and their respective policies are IDENTICAL" then what are you expecting anyone here to say in response?  Do you want to learn more about the differences between the Tories and Labour or do you want to maintain the same "Aah but do you see: Tony Blair" position indefinitely?

Quote from: Replies From View on December 01, 2019, 01:35:44 AM
Why on earth would you bring up something so random and irrelevant?

It's not irrelevant, it's a fact of their recent history. Surely you can see how it might make a person cynical towards them.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Default to the negative on December 01, 2019, 04:27:42 PM
It's not irrelevant, it's a fact of their recent history. Surely you can see how it might make a person cynical towards them.

I can see how it would make a person cynical about the Blairite wing of the party. But they're not in charge any more. Have you not been paying attention?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 29, 2019, 02:24:33 PM
Damn, my favourite crossword. Hopefully will still be able to download it free online.

As you probably know, the i cryptic crosswords aren't originals - they're reprinted crosswords from The Independent four years ago. It would be nice if the new owner could fund some new puzzles, especially as I guess they may be exhausted before long, the i and Independent now being under separate ownership.

The Independent still has a free online puzzle section, including 7 new cryptic crosswords a week from many of the same setters https://puzzles.independent.co.uk .

It's quite annoying how I've put i instead of i, isn't it?  I didn't think it would be.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Default to the negative on December 01, 2019, 04:27:42 PM

Over fifteen years ago is not recent history, especially not in modern politics. If you have to explain a reference you were making as a pithy rejoinder you should never have made it in the first shitting place. Fuck off, cunt.