Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:41:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

General Erection Thread Two: Let's Get Johnson Out (Of Number 10)

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 29, 2019, 08:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one did you pick

Labour
121 (75.6%)
Dirty cheating, lying fascist Tory Shitcunts
11 (6.9%)
Green
3 (1.9%)
SNP
13 (8.1%)
Plaid
3 (1.9%)
Tinge / Lib Dem
2 (1.3%)
Brexit / Other
5 (3.1%)
Couldn't be arsed voting because I am a maverick!  Smash the state!!!!!  Me not showing up at a polling station always tells 'em who's boss!!!!!
1 (0.6%)
VOTE MOAT
1 (0.6%)
BEARS
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 160

holyzombiejesus

Wonder if we've got any more policy announcements up our sleeves? A friend I made whilst canvassing thinks a pledge to reform the electoral system would give us another few points.

idunnosomename

should probably go in the labour campaign thread but yes a policy on reforming our shitty electoral system is sorely missing

i guess we need to wait at least 5 years for the "fuck the monarchy" pledge

Johnny Yesno

Dunno how I got there now, but it was a through a series of links from one of the links above.

https://publicmatters.org.uk/2019/10/08/how-much-of-the-nhs-in-england-has-already-been-privatised/

Well worth a read. The author answers some criticism of the article in the comments. Get this:

Quote[Being created and sold off later as portfolios] happened both to the DWP's JobCentres and to HMRC's tax offices – the latter, unfunnily, owned by Mapeley whose parent company is registered in the Bermudas https://www.mapeley.com/OurApproach/Customers/HMRC.aspx.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Very positive reaction to McDonnell's performance today.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/dec/04/general-election-tories-juggle-trump-nato-and-campaigning-live

QuoteJohn McDonnell's speech and Q&A - Summary
With the possible exception of Nicola Sturgeon, John McDonnell is probably the stand-out media performer of this campaign. His speeches always contain an essential seriousness, but he can also handle media questions without sounding evasive or tetchy as soon as they turn hostile. This wasn't the most newsy speech of the campaign, and it will be overshadowed by events at that Nato conference later, but he conveyed a positive message and he took quite a large number of critical questions without tripping up. Here are the main points

QuoteMcDonnell refused to accept Donald Trump's claims that the NHS would not be on the table in trade talks, saying the US president had a "passing relationship with reality and truth". Asked if he thought Trump was lying when he said this yesterday, McDonnell all but said yes. He replied:
All the evidence that we've seen has demonstrated objectively that it is.

Donald Trump has a passing relationship with reality and truth sometimes. I believe in one instance claimed he didn't know what the initials NHS stood for, so the reality is the evidence is there and the anxiety that we have about the NHS under Boris Johnson regime and his relationship with trump causes us extreme concern.

He joked about a Corbyn government having difficult relations with Trump. Asked to respond to what Trump said yesterday about being able to work with Corbyn if he became PM, McDonnell said:
It's encouraging to know that we can maintain a good working relationship with the people of America in the future - [McDonnell paused] after possibly another election.

The line about the election prompted laughter from the audience. McDonnell then went on:

Obviously, Jeremy will work with leaders all over the world including Donald Trump and we will ensure that whatever happens in the future we will look after the interests of our own people as well as other across the globe.

McDonnell said Labour would announce details of its "first 100 days" programme before polling day. (See 11.40am.)
He described compensating the Waspi (Women Against State Pensions Inequality) women as being akin to bailing out the banks. (See 11.52am.)
He suggested the extent of poverty in the UK was incompatible with the values of Christianity. In his speech he said:
On Tuesday a new Shelter report also found 135,000 children will be without a home this Christmas.

On the same day an analysis by the Equality Trust showed the UK's six richest people control as much wealth as the poorest 13 million. It all went to show just how unequal our society is.

It's three weeks to Christmas. The celebration of the birth of Jesus. Children going hungry and homeless in the 5th largest economy in the world begs the question:

"Are we really living up to the values of Christianity or any other of our religions or beliefs for that matter?"

McDonnell brought up a Roman Catholic and for a while trained for the priesthood before deciding that his vocation lay elsewhere.

He said a Labour government would save families an average of £6,700. Families with someone eligible for free personal care would save more than £7,000, he said. (See 11.29am.)

jobotic

Yeah really good.

Shame it won't be on any news programmes.

Sin Agog

Why does no one ever tout McDonnell when people talk about Corbyn successors?

holyzombiejesus

I guess he has many of the same associations and will be tarred with the fuckwits' shitty anti-semitism/ pro terrorist brush. He really is so great though, the party will miss him when he stands down will be a brilliant chancellor.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 04, 2019, 12:47:49 PM
Why does no one ever tout McDonnell when people talk about Corbyn successors?

They do, but he is a bit too fakkin old to be leading in 5 years for another 5 years.

If he was in his 50s then he would be an automatic shoe-in. Corbyn is more likeable as a person but McDonnell is more adept. This has been shown by the sort of curiosity and engagement he has procured from business and banking, and the fact that, although they keep it as quiet as possible, the right genuinely respects him.

honeychile

He also has a fairly dodgy heart, already had at least one heart attack. To be fair to him he does come across as very serene and in control despite being impassioned.

He'd be my first choice to succeed Corbyn, but he won't.

Absorb the anus burn

Absorb the anus burn

Controversial Dutch cartoon showing the BBC protecting the PM as he gang rapes the UK... Look who are waiting for their turn.

Cuellar

Quote from: poodlefaker on December 04, 2019, 01:55:50 PM
Was Giles popular in the Netherlands?

Very popular cartoon in Netherlands is two anthropomorphic birds called Fuck and Suck. Their standards are low.

Leo2112

After this fucking shameful editorial today the New Statesman is losing a load of subscribers - https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1202213945475514368

(Btw if anyone here is doing the same, subscribe to Tribune instead https://tribunemag.co.uk/subscribe)

Cardenio I

imitationleather

I always thought NS was a load of old toot. Even The Economist is a better read.

phantom_power

Quote from: dandoystevski on December 04, 2019, 02:54:26 PM
SPEAK YOUR BRAAAAAINS

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/18-people-across-north-staffordshire-3601819?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Lovely stuff

A lot of people saying they don't trust Corbyn without any reason why. I can't see what is untrustworthy about him. It just seems like the propaganda machine against him is having its desired effect

Rizla

Quote from: Leo2112 on December 04, 2019, 03:09:31 PM
After this fucking shameful editorial today the New Statesman is losing a load of subscribers - https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1202213945475514368

Wow. That is some epically weak pish! As someone says in the comments, it's like refusing to pick a side in 1945. Fuuuck me.

QuoteDiane Abbott's son accused of assaulting police officer outside Foreign Office
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/12/03/diane-abbotts-son-accused-assaulting-officer-outside-foreign/

QuoteDiane Abbott, the shadow home secretary, on Tuesday night tried to prevent The Telegraph from publishing details of a court hearing at which her son was accused of assaulting a police officer.

Captain Z

Quote from: dandoystevski on December 04, 2019, 02:54:26 PM
SPEAK YOUR BRAAAAAINS

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/18-people-across-north-staffordshire-3601819?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Lovely stuff

Some of the initial ones are quite encouraging, but then you get to this madness:

Annette Price, aged 57, is the manager of The Express pub in Crewe. She said: "There's various things, the NHS is a big one and schools is a big one because they've had funding taken off them. Because when you've got 10 grandchildren you're going to worry about that. There have been that many cuts and staff cuts in the NHS. It can't get any worse. We need homes for people. We shouldn't have so many people in the streets in this day and age. Not when there's so many derelict buildings. It just shouldn't happen. We're going Conservative because we've no confidence in any of them. I come from a Labour family but it's all changed."

Norton Canes

I've been meaning to ask for the last couple of days - what do we think the Tories are going to go with on Wednesday 11th? What coup de grâce, what disingenuous bombshell are they going to hit us with to drive, they hope, the stake right through Corbyn's red heart? Whatever it is, it's going to make everything they've done so far look like playground fibs, huh? Can't wait.

Replies From View

Quote from: Captain Z on December 04, 2019, 03:52:25 PM
Some of the initial ones are quite encouraging, but then you get to this madness:

Annette Price, aged 57, is the manager of The Express pub in Crewe. She said: "There's various things, the NHS is a big one and schools is a big one because they've had funding taken off them. Because when you've got 10 grandchildren you're going to worry about that. There have been that many cuts and staff cuts in the NHS. It can't get any worse. We need homes for people. We shouldn't have so many people in the streets in this day and age. Not when there's so many derelict buildings. It just shouldn't happen. We're going Conservative because we've no confidence in any of them. I come from a Labour family but it's all changed."

Bloody hell that's a proper "then I got off the bus ahhh" whiplash one.

New folder

Quote from: Leo2112 on December 04, 2019, 03:09:31 PM

There was also this:

They've deleted it swiftly after a massive backlash though

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 04, 2019, 03:52:39 PM
I've been meaning to ask for the last couple of days - what do we think the Tories are going to go with on Wednesday 11th? What coup de grâce, what disingenuous bombshell are they going to hit us with to drive, they hope, the stake right through Corbyn's red heart? Whatever it is, it's going to make everything they've done so far look like playground fibs, huh? Can't wait.

It is shocking that they can get away with brazenly lying about their political opponents.  It used to be a case of hoping no politicians actually do anything stupid or have anything too stupid in their pasts.  Now none of it matters because they can say Labour will be harvesting everyone's mattresses to make giant bedding for a drug user and nobody will bat a singular eyelid.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteDiane Abbott, the shadow home secretary, on Tuesday night tried to prevent The Telegraph from publishing details of a court hearing at which her son was accused of assaulting a police officer.

Because it isn't a public interest story, perhaps.

Cardenio I