Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:40:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

General Erection Thread Two: Let's Get Johnson Out (Of Number 10)

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 29, 2019, 08:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one did you pick

Labour
121 (75.6%)
Dirty cheating, lying fascist Tory Shitcunts
11 (6.9%)
Green
3 (1.9%)
SNP
13 (8.1%)
Plaid
3 (1.9%)
Tinge / Lib Dem
2 (1.3%)
Brexit / Other
5 (3.1%)
Couldn't be arsed voting because I am a maverick!  Smash the state!!!!!  Me not showing up at a polling station always tells 'em who's boss!!!!!
1 (0.6%)
VOTE MOAT
1 (0.6%)
BEARS
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 160

imitationleather

I've never read The Spectator but from these snippets it does sound like it is student union-level debate about stuff. Endless reasons why the poor and minorities are to blame. A mag for posh lads who didn't bother to stay curious about stuff beyond their undergraduate days.

BlodwynPig

imitationleather

DrGreggles

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 01, 2019, 10:53:52 AM
How's mr johnson doing on andrew?

He interrupted every question and tried to talk about something else, then Marr tried to ask the question again and it just became two people talking over each other. Repeatedly.

I mean, I didn't actually watch it, but it's an educated guess.

Replies From View

Quote from: greenman on December 01, 2019, 10:21:40 AM
Honestly though I think Oxbridge cynicism is being exposed for what it always was, something that was actually quiet cosy with the establishment.

It's been very interesting these last few years seeing centrism flushed out into the open.

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 01, 2019, 11:02:12 AM
He interrupted every question and tried to talk about something else, then Marr tried to ask the question again and it just became two people talking over each other. Repeatedly.

That is literally exactly what happened

Jasha

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 01, 2019, 11:02:12 AM

Pretty much, nothing is Johnson's responsibility because "I've only been prime minister for 5 minutes".

greencalx

Fambo Number Mive

Lots of Tories on Twitter getting angry for Marr for daring to actually question the Prime Minister.

Quote#Marr: Where's your promised plan on social care?

Boris Johnson: "I accept that the full plan needs to be developed"

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1201085462766424064

greencalx

Made a cock-up in my earlier post about the LDs - they're polling double their 2017 share at the moment. So there is room to go down, and by rights it should if people exercise brains before voting.

gib

Quote from: greencalx on December 01, 2019, 09:58:37 AM[Sorry for length, felt the need for a bit of mid-campaign catharsis]

Don't apologise, your posts in these threads always make for good reading.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 01, 2019, 11:15:11 AM
Lots of Tories on Twitter getting angry for Marr for daring to actually question the Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1201085462766424064

Some good links in there, though.

https://twitter.com/C4Dispatches/status/1200927491134820353

Quote"We try not to eat a lot in one day, even though most of us are really hungry." Almost 1 in 3 children in the UK are now growing up poor, like Cameron and his two sisters whose family rely on a food bank to help fill the fridge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49131685

QuoteMore than £3.5m intended to alleviate child poverty and homelessness is at risk of being wasted because the government has failed to spend it, says a House of Lords committee.

Peers have written to the Home Office saying it is "extraordinary" that the EU funding has not been used.

They warn that some of the cash has already been forfeited and are worried about the rest being handed back.

The government said there had been "barriers" over spending the money.

But peers have written to complain that after almost six years, the government has failed to deliver spending aimed at addressing "the worst forms of poverty".

About £580,000 of unspent cash has so far been taken back - and a further similar amount is at risk of being deducted at the end of the year.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: chveik on December 01, 2019, 01:53:48 AM
what a piece of shit

https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1199237644435234816

One of the people defending him reckons 'appears to be' was Iannucci's point. I'd like to think that's true, but it doesn't really fit with his previous criticisms.

Replies From View

Quote"We try not to eat a lot in one day, even though most of us are really hungry." Almost 1 in 3 children in the UK are now growing up poor, like Cameron and his two sisters whose family rely on a food bank to help fill the fridge.

Not David Cameron though :(

peanutbutter

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 01, 2019, 12:18:55 PM
One of the people defending him reckons 'appears to be' was Iannucci's point. I'd like to think that's true, but it doesn't really fit with his previous criticisms.
Even still, that'd just be him alluding to the idea that it's totally disproportionate without taking any potential risk of saying it is.

Has he given any idea as to who he'd back for democrat party nomination over in the US?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 01, 2019, 12:25:52 PM
Even still, that'd just be him alluding to the idea that it's totally disproportionate without taking any potential risk of saying it is.

Yeah, it's hardly speaking truth to power, is it?

QuoteHas he given any idea as to who he'd back for democrat party nomination over in the US?

I've not heard. It would be a decent indicator.

peanutbutter

I'd wonder if Iannucci's shittiness in recent years is more about the new levels his career has taken internationally too. Might be harder to get funding for David Copperfield if you've got a backbone.

Replies From View

I'd love to see him attempting to debate with Ken Loach.  He'd be incredibly out of his depth and resort to calling Ken Loach an antisemite I suspect.

The centrists have tied themselves up in knots over this narrative and they really need to be put on a platform that allows their own hubris and inability to face the truth to reach its natural conclusion - in other words just labelling everyone they disagree with as antisemitic.  As it is they're too able to bob back down under the surface before that happens.

greenman

Quote from: Replies From View on December 01, 2019, 11:02:27 AM
It's been very interesting these last few years seeing centrism flushed out into the open.

Its easy to say these are yesterdays counter culture icons grown old and selfish but honestly I think its something that was always there, a lot of people standing shoulder to shoulder in the media who were actually quite different in their moral outlooks, especially in the mid 90's when alt comedy went fully mainstream.

That said I suspect a good deal of it is probably unconscious as well, the "there all as bad as each other" cynical outlooks that was pushed so hard for so long probably makes a really stark moral choice hard for many people to accept, they think there must be a catch somewhere so jump on smears too easily.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: greenman on December 01, 2019, 01:02:14 PM
That said I suspect a good deal of it is probably unconscious as well, the "there all as bad as each other" cynical outlooks that was pushed so hard for so long probably makes a really stark moral choice hard for many people to accept, they think there must be a catch somewhere so jump on smears too easily.

I think this is very plausible. There were so many levels of irony to negotiate that I don't think they were expecting anyone to smash through with simple honesty.

jobotic

Presumably Iannucci is richer now than he's ever been. Not saying that's a reason but it is.

Replies From View

'ard graft, self-made.  Owes nuttin to nobody that fella

Fambo Number Mive

BBC Reality Check has tweeted that Johnson lied about the Queen's speech. Why didn't Marr say anything at the time? Why isn't this a story on the BBC News site?

https://twitter.com/BBCRealityCheck/status/1201135464851345408

Fambo Number Mive

I've also come across a bloke on Youtube who is pumping out pro-Tory videos.

greenman

Quote from: jobotic on December 01, 2019, 01:32:09 PM
Presumably Iannucci is richer now than he's ever been. Not saying that's a reason but it is.

Its likely part of the reason but theres still an obvious difference between him and say Cogan who is likely considerably richer.

Fambo Number Mive

Something I don't understand is how to play 4D chess i.e. when is a gaffe done on purpose by the Tories to distract people from an even bigger gaffe.

For example, was this a 4D chess move to distract from something else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpcY6HsGmAM

Replies From View

Quote from: greenman on December 01, 2019, 02:16:53 PM
Its likely part of the reason but theres still an obvious difference between him and say Cogan who is likely considerably richer.

Steeve Cogan

greencalx

Here we go, the 2017/19 comparator:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1201161147333980171?s=20

Both Con and Lab down by 2.1. If current trajectories continue (Tories flat, Lab up) we might end up back in the same place. Even better if there is a Tory fall.

Dr Rock

I really want the Labours to win obv, but if Johnson doesn't get a majority, there has to be a second referendum, and Remain will win and Brexit won't happen right? Then Labours can win next time.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greencalx on December 01, 2019, 03:44:17 PM
Here we go, the 2017/19 comparator:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1201161147333980171?s=20

Both Con and Lab down by 2.1. If current trajectories continue (Tories flat, Lab up) we might end up back in the same place. Even better if there is a Tory fall.

No need to vote if we just use graphs