Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:51:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Subnautica

Started by Blue Jam, November 30, 2019, 05:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

ASFTSN

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 07, 2020, 02:56:56 PM
Did you find the coffee machine though?
Spoiler alert
It only does decaf, alas
[close]

Certainly did!
Spoiler alert
I'm convinced they made it hilariously shit and ineffective on purpose.
[close]

Blue Jam

Building a big fuck-off decadent stupid base now with blackjack and hookers a coffee machine and a vending machine and an observatory. Got a warning that putting glass components in a seabase is a decadent folly but fuck it, it's lonely up here, AI!

Would like to find a blueprint for a roulette wheel.

Neomod

Just started playing this and it's a lot of fun. Kind of a liquid No Man's Sky.

Playing on Survival I've just got the Seamoth which makes things a lot easier. It's now a pleasure and quite relaxing to go out scouting for blueprints. Still haven't found the base room blueprints yet so will start building my underwater Ken Adam lair once I do.

PlanktonSideburns

just completed this

FUCK its good, all the way though. so many moments of awe

favourite sound design in a game i've ever played. the neat little swoosh sound the seamoth makes, divine

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: ASFTSN on August 02, 2020, 01:45:40 PM
If I could give a new player one bit of advice it would be to look up absolutely nothing about it before starting, it's all about the discovery!

this was totally the right thing to do!

ASFTSN

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 08, 2020, 12:19:15 AM
this was totally the right thing to do!

Yeah! So many impressive reveals throughout the whole game. Glad to see you finished it, it's got a lot to it but it's basically the perfect length for a game like this too I think.

ASFTSN

Curious to know if you
Spoiler alert
hatched a cuddlefish?
[close]

Blue Jam

I
Spoiler alert
hatched two cuddlefish
[close]
and tried to see if they would
Spoiler alert
breed
[close]
but they
Spoiler alert
wouldn't
[close]
. Was fun to
Spoiler alert
give them tummy tickles
[close]
though.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 10, 2020, 07:27:38 PM
Yeah! So many impressive reveals throughout the whole game. Glad to see you finished it, it's got a lot to it but it's basically the perfect length for a game like this too I think.

yea by the time i was looking for the last couple of bases my mind was blown to bits!
Quote from: ASFTSN on November 10, 2020, 07:30:01 PM
Curious to know if you
Spoiler alert
hatched a cuddlefish?
[close]

i didnt! found all the life in the sea so mortyfying i just got the hell out of dodge

ASFTSN

Pretty sure I
Spoiler alert
killed my cuttlefish in a hit and run.
[close]
I was awkwardly
Spoiler alert
maneuvering my cyclops around some volcanic vents near where I'd built my third base and I heard a CLONK noise of the hull and a kind of squeak. Never saw it again.
[close]

And yeah Blue Jam I think
Spoiler alert
they're one of the only lifeforms you can't get to breed, sadly. Apparently there's a total of five cuddle eggs out there though!
[close]

PlanktonSideburns

thats harrowing ASFTSN

Spoiler alert

im glad i never gave a bit of my heart to one of those little fellas, - would have broken me to back a submarine on it and hear that THUMP sound

[close]

Blue Jam

Yes, that's properly harrowing. A bit like the time I was playing MGSV and did one of the mine clearance tasks and forgot to give D-Dog the "Stay!" command and he followed me into the minefield and stepped on a mine and got blown into the air, howling as he went. I felt a bit bad but it was also pretty funny.

I kept dying while getting out of the Cyclops too quickly and it took a while to figure out that I was doing a Brian Harvey and running myself over with it. Heard plenty of thudding noises while piloting the thing but managed not to hit my
Spoiler alert
cuddlefish
[close]
though.

I knew there were a total of five
Spoiler alert
cuddlefish
[close]
eggs available because I read the Wiki and went in search of two to put in my alien containment. Then I released one and found
Spoiler alert
it would come and say hello and demand treats and attention
[close]
when I was swimming near my main base. It's quite a lonely game so it was nice having
Spoiler alert
a pet to come home to
[close]
, but yes, I freed all my alien fish from the tank before
Spoiler alert
leaving the planet for good
[close]
and felt bad saying goodbye to
Spoiler alert
those cute little cuddlefish
[close]

Blue Jam

Been playing No Man's Sky since and getting a bit bored with it now. For all it's procedurely-generated vastness the world just isn't half as rich as Subnautica's.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 11, 2020, 11:15:59 AM
and felt bad saying goodbye

This is why it probably turned out for the best in my case, I wasn't looking forward to that at the game end. They clearly made it something you can't pick up once loosed to deliberately tug at your heartstrings.

I do remember the feeling of pure regret+freedom at the very end
Spoiler alert
when heading to the launch platform
[close]
. I was
Spoiler alert
in my second trusty prawn and jump jetting my way across the map when I suddenly thought "I'll regret this if I rush over there". I left the prawn, let it fall 500m down and swam the 10 minute journey to the launch pad unassisted just to soak up the ambience of the various biomes one last time. :,-}
[close]

Lemming

Been playing this for a couple nights, so much fun. Surprised that people find it scary or unnerving, I'm finding it optimistic in a Robinson Crusoe type way, just playing with a dogged determination to escape the planet no matter what. Had a mini jumpscare when one of those squid shits started humping the Seamoth with me trapped inside, but otherwise it's a pretty chill experience.

Finally building the Cyclops is a feeling of pure achievement that no other game has offered in a long time. Strolling through the ship, installing a coffee machine and a vending machine and getting ready for a MEGA-VOYAGE was so satisfying and felt completely earned after all the hours of splashing about like a twat and nearly drowning. Fucked it a bit by instantly steering the bastard thing into rocks because I unwisely built it in the shallows and overestimated my ability to steer it, but still a great moment.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Lemming on November 11, 2020, 10:45:38 PM
Surprised that people find it scary or unnerving

How deep u gone tho?

Blue Jam

...and what difficulty u playing on?

Also you managed to build a Cyclops after two days? I think I was still twatting about in the shallows then.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Lemming on November 11, 2020, 10:45:38 PM
Been playing this for a couple nights, so much fun. Surprised that people find it scary or unnerving, I'm finding it optimistic in a Robinson Crusoe type way, just playing with a dogged determination to escape the planet no matter what. Had a mini jumpscare when one of those squid shits started humping the Seamoth with me trapped inside, but otherwise it's a pretty chill experience.

Finally building the Cyclops is a feeling of pure achievement that no other game has offered in a long time. Strolling through the ship, installing a coffee machine and a vending machine and getting ready for a MEGA-VOYAGE was so satisfying and felt completely earned after all the hours of splashing about like a twat and nearly drowning. Fucked it a bit by instantly steering the bastard thing into rocks because I unwisely built it in the shallows and overestimated my ability to steer it, but still a great moment.

Was gonna suggest this one to you

Be interested if you find it scary at any point

This game filled me with some real dread on the deeper bits

Lemming

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 12, 2020, 11:42:03 AM
How deep u gone tho?

Somewhere over 500 meters I think, took the Cyclops down as far as it could go then did a pitiful vehicle-less dive, since the Seamoth is useless at this depth. Also properly fucked myself earlier by leaving the cyclops in a way where it was at just over the depth limit without my knowledge, then looking on in awe as the entire thing began to shred to pieces.

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 12, 2020, 05:37:11 PM
...and what difficulty u playing on?

Also you managed to build a Cyclops after two days? I think I was still twatting about in the shallows then.

Survival difficulty, but it's been essentially negated by the insane nourishment value of Bulbo Tree seeds.

My friend who recommended the game to me ruined the whole experience by telling me roughly where to look for the Cyclops blueprints, which is a shame. Still took a good couple hours of sweeping the Mushroom Forest floor with the Seamoth.

Neomod

Jesus!! Just got my seamoth totalled whilst inside the Degasi base with the inevitable drowning that followed. First death and I've just realised that I had the plans for the Stasis gun but hadn't bothered to build it.

Does it work on massive spider-squid bastards or just the little fishies?

Blue Jam

The stasis gun does work on the big fuck-off Leviathan bastards, yes. I barely used it though, had more fun twatting Land Crabs to fuck with the Propulsion Cannon, didn't even bother upgrading it to the Repulsion Cannon as it sounded more useful but less of a larf.

Lemming

Finished. Fantastic game, really enjoyed the last couple hours in the lava hellscape with weird leech things getting stuck on the side of the Cyclops and the "YOU ARE BEING HUMPED BY A LEVIATHAN" alarm going off every few minutes. Cool little plot with the Sea Emperor too.

Having said that, fuck the Prawn Suit. Biggest letdown ever. Partially because I was just utterly shit at piloting it, partially because it got stuck on the wall in alien bases a few times and softlocked me.

evilcommiedictator

There was a patch earlier this year and hence everyone has had trouble with the prawn suit in the last area clipping and not even being to move, player height cut in half getting out too, very sad.

Just as sad when i put my seaglide down on gun island to eat some tree and the seaglide fell through the ground :(

ASFTSN

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on November 16, 2020, 08:14:22 AM
There was a patch earlier this year and hence everyone has had trouble with the prawn suit in the last area clipping and not even being to move, player height cut in half getting out too, very sad.

I just assumed this was some deliberate effect of weird alien metals on the prawn suit as I'd googled and not found anyone with similar issues. Shit! I only managed to get around in those areas using the grappling hook. Really sucks that such a big issue is being left unfixed.

When it worked properly it was my favourite vehicle. Jump jetting around and leaping off peaks to fall down 700+ metres with a big thump was great.

Neomod

Just got the Prawn suit and the Cyclops and so I've got all that to look forward to..

Zetetic

Very grateful for various people's enthusiasm for this, particularly Blue Jam's that got me to try it again.

There's still bits that irritate me about the survival mechanics. I'm playing it now with hunger and thirst disabled, which is a lot more tolerable at the start (and has let me appreciate the balance of narrative and freedom)but does clearly lose something. Looking forward to playing it again someday with the knowledge gained from this playthrough though.

Enjoying it enough to put together my own map.

Neomod

I'm playing with the hunger/thirst on and it's a bit of a pain early on but as i'm only going to play this through once I thought what the hell. Have only died once and that wasn't due to hunger.

DayZ which I started today is a fucking killer to survive in. I've died continuously due to starvation/illness after eating human flesh. How people are supposed to survive early on in that I don't know. It seems to be purely down to luck whereas Subnautica gives you a fighting chance.

Zetetic

I think the problem with the hunger/thirst at the start is that it's just irritating, and it's irritating in part because of the way that the path to making it not irritating is obfuscated and gated in a particular way. (I think that particular way works quite well for much of the rest of the game, around opening up safer exploration, I just found it grating for hunger/thirst.)

evilcommiedictator

It really helps if you find a grav trap early, makes food/water a non-issue, in the same way it's a non-issue after you find trees and the purifier.
Mind you, I saw a stream where the person involved didn't know they could plant things, I don't know how on Earth (or indeed Planet 4546B) you could miss that, but they did