Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:33:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I Lost My Body (2019)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 30, 2019, 10:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This is an incredibly unusual but quite affecting French animation which is part romance about an orphan who falls in love with a librarian, and part weird sort of fantasy where a severed hand is looking for the rest of it's body, which we know from the beginning used to be that of the orphan boy, but we have no idea how they were separated. The animation is stunning, the soundtrack really bloody good, and it's a charming film that I really fell for that had an unexpected but quite satisfying ending. 8.2/10

A trailer's here which gives you a feel for the movie, and for once doesn't spoil it in any way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3mMFbrbYJM

Dex Sawash

Oh, this is on us netflix now. Should've started watching at 4 when I woke up.

Ambient Sheep

This looks great, but:

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 30, 2019, 10:35:09 PMA trailer's here which gives you a feel for the movie, and for once doesn't spoil it in any way

I would query that... doesn't the bit around 0:39-0:41 tell you how he lost his hand?  Or am I reading too much into that?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention though. :-)

Sin Agog

Got this downloaded and ready to watch.  There's also another extremely unNetflixy Hungarian animation on there called Ruben Brandt, Collector, which plays like a dada take on Where in the World is Carmen San Diego or To Catch a Thief and is a lot of fun.  It's about a gaggle of thieves who get together to try and cure their shrink's mental malady by stealing priceless works of art.  Except it's all surreal and that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 03, 2019, 03:14:11 AM
This looks great, but:

I would query that... doesn't the bit around 0:39-0:41 tell you how he lost his hand?  Or am I reading too much into that?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention though. :-)

You are, that's an unrelated scene. :)

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 03, 2019, 07:55:30 AM
Got this downloaded and ready to watch.  There's also another extremely unNetflixy Hungarian animation on there called Ruben Brandt, Collector, which plays like a dada take on Where in the World is Carmen San Diego or To Catch a Thief and is a lot of fun.  It's about a gaggle of thieves who get together to try and cure their shrink's mental malady by stealing priceless works of art.  Except it's all surreal and that.

I really liked that too, and started a thread about it a while back - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=72681.0

Sin Agog

Ah, naturally you got the jump on me.  Why do you reckon Internet Flicks.com put Ruben under the Teen section?  Not saying a fine, hearty adolescent wouldn't enjoy it, but it doesn't particularly scream TEEN to me.  Probably just bought the rights without watching it, and figured it's an animation so only adolescents and weans could possibly enjoy it.*

Anyway, will report back with my twenty-word I Lost My Body essay tomoz when I've seen it. Looking forward to it!

*asteredit: Actually, it's prob to just ward off idjut parents from letting their young kids watch it and accidentally breaking their brains

bgmnts

It's on Netflix and getting good praise but it IS French.

Hmmm....

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 03, 2019, 02:12:32 PM
Ah, naturally you got the jump on me.  Why do you reckon Internet Flicks.com put Ruben under the Teen section?  Not saying a fine, hearty adolescent wouldn't enjoy it, but it doesn't particularly scream TEEN to me.  Probably just bought the rights without watching it, and figured it's an animation so only adolescents and weans could possibly enjoy it.*

Anyway, will report back with my twenty-word I Lost My Body essay tomoz when I've seen it. Looking forward to it!

*asteredit: Actually, it's prob to just ward off idjut parents from letting their young kids watch it and accidentally breaking their brains

The teen section thing is a bit odd, I'm guessing your suggestion at the end of the post is probably the right one, though why they feel the need to classify it to any age group seems a bit weird to me. Hopefully it won't put anyone over the age of 19 off watching it, anyhow.