Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Die Hard: Festive or not?

Started by bgmnts, December 01, 2019, 11:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 15, 2019, 03:49:49 PM
The spelling of his wife's surname changes when he presses on it. It's such a glaring error I don't understand how they left it in.

Never noticed that! Back then it probably cost a million dollars to do a computer screen so they left it.

Are people still going around saying "Die Hard is a Christmas Film" as if its really edgy and unexpected?

Jim Bob

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 15, 2019, 11:49:45 PM
Are people still going around saying "Die Hard is a Christmas Film" as if its really edgy and unexpected?

Are people still going around saying "are people still going around saying 'Die Hard is a Christmas Film' as if its really edgy and unexpected?"?

Gulftastic

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 16, 2019, 12:32:43 AM
Are people still going around saying "are people still going around saying 'Die Hard is a Christmas Film' as if its really edgy and unexpected?"?

Yes. Along with another stunning revelation I was treated to last night. Get this, the winner of Sports Personality Of The Year often doesn't have much of an actual personality! Mind blowing, right?

greenman

Are people still going around saying '"are people still going around saying "are people still going around saying 'Die Hard is a Christmas Film' as if its edgy and unexpected?" as if its edgy and unexpected'" as if its edgy and unexpected?

phantom_power

The Last Boy Scout is the best Christmas movie

No, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is the best Christmas movie

SteveDave

Quote from: phantom_power on December 16, 2019, 08:57:55 AM
The Last Boy Scout is the best Christmas movie

No, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is the best Christmas movie

Shane Black's Hard-On For Christmas.

The Shining is the best Christmas film.

marquis_de_sad

Jerzy Bondov

Just been sitting here thinking about how amazing Hart Bochner is in Die Hard. One of the most enjoyable performances ever recorded on film.

QDRPHNC

Yeah, surprised he didn't go on to bigger things, being charismatic and handsome and fun to watch.

Jim Bob

Jerzy Bondov

Ellis was originally intended to be a much smoother urbane Cary Grant type, as a contrast to Die Hard's blue collar rough charm. Bochner was like, nah this guy is on coke, I'm gonna play him like he's on like LOADS of coke.

I edited this post to correct the name of the main character of Die Hard.

Blumf

dissolute ocelot

Golden E. Pump

Scream was originally released at Christmas. It does have a bit of a wintery vibe to it, despite being set in the summer. Is that a Christmas film?

I watched Bad Moms Christmas this evening. Mila Kunis is watchable in everything and I don't just mean in a fancying way.

druss

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on December 16, 2019, 09:13:13 PM
Scream was originally released at Christmas. It does have a bit of a wintery vibe to it, despite being set in the summer. Is that a Christmas film?
No. Quite clearly not.

I don't know why it's ever been considered edgy to say Die Hard is a Christmas film either, there isn't 10 minutes that ever passes without some Xmas song or other reference to it being Christmas.

It's a film where a guy gets reunited with his family at Christmas, to the tune of Christmas songs, with 90% of the film taking place at a Christmas party. It ends with Let it Fucking Snow.

It's not edgy to point out the obvious.

Icehaven

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 01, 2019, 08:55:47 PM
Are there many films set at Easter? I mean ones that aren't primarily about Easter. Before some smart arse names a flick about Jesus, remember that most of them don't have a resurrection. And anyway, I mean the modern interpretation of Easter, with eggs and stuff.

Not a film but the second series of Happy! was set at Easter (after the first was set at Christmas). I was gutted it got cancelled actually as the third was going to be Halloween.

marquis_de_sad

My favourite Christmas story is Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis.

greenman

A story about a mysterious polar visitor, roaring fires and sledge dogs? festive or not?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 16, 2019, 03:36:06 PM
"Hans, bubby"

I'm going real S4C tier here but he actually says "Bubi", which is an affectionate German term for a young boy, or handsome youngish man. That's why he says it so weirdly (boo-bi rather than bub-eeh)

idunnosomename

Prometheus is a Christmas movie. has anyone done that shit. or does no one give a shit about Prometheus.

mjwilson

Eyes Wide Shut is a Christmas movie.

Gregory Torso

Die Hard is a film.

Under Seige is a monogrammed dressing gown festive with semen.

Terminator is a fat suit robot who goes back in time to punch a future P.E. teacher in the dad.

Forest Gump is a damning indictment of the logging industry.

Three Men And A Baby is a darkroom with only one functioning bulb.

A film is a thing.

Christmas is a time.

A time for giving.

Giving HARD

It looks like the sixth Die Hard film, which was going to be simply called McClane, is struggling to get made/possibly shelved in favour of a streaming series or prequel with a young actor. An aged Bruce Willis, creaky but cracking wise with a glint in his eye, would seem like a good film to me. I assume it would feature his son/daughter/protégé who comes to identify as a McClane. No need to set it at Christmas.

Goldentony

die hard is shit, fuck off die hard, fucking tower nonce

Goldentony

john mclane walks up 700 flights of stairs to fly a helicopter up a kid

Goldentony

john mclane slams a toilet bowl against a childs heads 389 times while yelling GET UP DAD

Goldentony

die hard rebuilds the tower in the shape of his head and spins it round so the wrong side is facing the wind and they have to spend fucking millions windroofing the building and during the refurbishment he buries a child alive in concrete when they rebuild the bank vault claiming its soul will live forever