Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Big fat Xanax coma for fucks sake

Started by alan nagsworth, December 02, 2019, 07:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. logic

Quote from: madhair60 on December 02, 2019, 10:31:56 AM
Sleeping for 20+ hours sounds fucking great tbh.

Was going to say. Alan, I understand the mental complications but didn't you feel in any way restored? It genuinely sounds brilliant

imitationleather

My mate was in a coma for three months once. When I went to see him after he woke up he seemed pretty groggy, to be honest.

kngen

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 02, 2019, 02:49:05 PM
Yes, it is fucking horrible, in all honesty. I haven't taken coke in a little while and just recently I had been quite pleased at my ability to resist it. Wretched drug. 22 hours conked out did not shake the anxiety that just lies in wait for me. It came up with a vengeance, the heart racing, the intense self-loathing.

Well, that just seems horribly unfair! If I'm passed out for nearly a day, I want a day's less mental trauma! I guess that's why heroin started creeping into my extended circle of friends just I was beginning to extricate myself from their sphere of influence. 'A wee bit of brown on the Sunday morning to smooth off the rough edges, and then stare slack-jawed into our pints that evening as kngen gets increasingly irritated at our lack of interaction.' A year or so later, two of them died from ODs, both leaving their pre-school-aged children fatherless. The stupid, stupid fucked-up junkie cunts (RIP).

alan nagsworth

Quote from: kngen on December 02, 2019, 03:17:00 PM
Well, that just seems horribly unfair! If I'm passed out for nearly a day, I want a day's less mental trauma! I guess that's why heroin started creeping into my extended circle of friends just I was beginning to extricate myself from their sphere of influence. 'A wee bit of brown on the Sunday morning to smooth off the rough edges, and then stare slack-jawed into our pints that evening as kngen gets increasingly irritated at our lack of interaction.' A year or so later, two of them died from ODs, both leaving their pre-school-aged children fatherless. The stupid, stupid fucked-up junkie cunts (RIP).

Christ, I'm really sorry to hear that mate. It is weird how one can say that it seems "easy" for that to creep into people's lives. On the outside it seems absolutely fucking mental, but where does the buck stop when you're dabbling with those sorts of chemicals? Nasty, awful cycles of self-abuse.

Quote from: mr. logic on December 02, 2019, 02:51:11 PM
Was going to say. Alan, I understand the mental complications but didn't you feel in any way restored? It genuinely sounds brilliant

It does, doesn't it? But there's certainly such a thing as over-sleeping. I've felt dazed before when I've woken up of a weekend after 7-8 hours and thought "nah, I'm having a bit more" and it turns into an extra 2-3 hours. 22 hours is just the fucking beyond, man. I was so spaced out and knackered, I had to force myself up and out of the hostel to meet people otherwise I think I would have quite happily gone back to sleep, and then woken up at some stupid time like 8PM and having absolutely no idea what to do with myself. I was lucky I woke up at a reasonable time in the morning, to be honest.

madhair60

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 02, 2019, 02:28:07 PMNo idea what you're on about tbh but its weird you can't see owt wrong with overanalysing vague third party info and jumping to conclusions about people you've never met

I wouldn't want to make assumptions but what you're describing isn't a situation that sounds like it's at the very forefront of sustainability, is that fair to say? It sounds quite toxic and dangerous, and I don't mean the people necessarily, who I have obviously never met, but the lifestyle/vibe sounds a bit like spinning plates if the plates are piled Beano-high with very volatile nuclear explodium. Also you never did send me You Give Doves a Bad Name, so honestly I wish you had died.

Crabwalk

I was in Utrecht over the weekend and paralysed myself with an unidentified strain of weed on Friday night. Reader, I almost fell in a canal.

So close to being the Farrah Fawcett to Nagsworth's Michael Jackson.

BlodwynPig

bgmnts

I've never had a friend circle as a teen or an adult so I am genuinely ignorant but is it due to the pressure of your mates all doing drugs that one does it or is it just not knowing/staying within your limit? Or is it just crap being sober when your pals are all off their face?

Chollis

alan nagsworth

Quote from: madhair60 on December 02, 2019, 03:33:54 PM
I wouldn't want to make assumptions but what you're describing isn't a situation that sounds like it's at the very forefront of sustainability, is that fair to say? It sounds quite toxic and dangerous, and I don't mean the people necessarily, who I have obviously never met, but the lifestyle/vibe sounds a bit like spinning plates if the plates are piled Beano-high with very volatile nuclear explodium. Also you never did send me You Give Doves a Bad Name, so honestly I wish you had died.

I'm perfectly willing to admit I made a stupid mistake, as was the point of the OP. But that's not the fault of my friends. I also don't feel like I should need to add the disclaimer that this sort of thing rarely happens in order to excuse people who have no involvement in this thread, but here we are.

Quote from: bgmnts on December 02, 2019, 03:58:51 PM
I've never had a friend circle as a teen or an adult so I am genuinely ignorant but is it due to the pressure of your mates all doing drugs that one does it or is it just not knowing/staying within your limit? Or is it just crap being sober when your pals are all off their face?

I have extremely poor self control. There's zero pressure from my friends and if I ever made the extremely difficult choice to go sober around them I know they would respect that entirely because they're fucking lovely.

Piggyoioi

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 02, 2019, 02:49:05 PM
Yes, it is fucking horrible, in all honesty. I haven't taken coke in a little while and just recently I had been quite pleased at my ability to resist it. Wretched drug. 22 hours conked out did not shake the anxiety that just lies in wait for me. It came up with a vengeance, the heart racing, the intense self-loathing. I am massively displeased with myself for once again pissing another weekend up the wall — although having designed the event flyer thankfully my flights and entry to the gig were not at my expense. But I seriously need to quit the stupid wreckhead antics. I'm considering quitting intoxicants entirely although I am acutely aware that it may be the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Next time you indulge in them, just make sure you admit to yourself that you know you're going to pay for it later. Make a resolution to not lie to yourself. It's easy to get swept up in the moment when you're high on these substances, but making yourself aware of the predictable aftermath might give you pause later in the evening when you're still sniffing, trying to keep the night alive even though the party's basically over and you've  all slided into that more morose, weird tail end of a session that from a sober mind is just shower inducing.

Piggyoioi

also, xanax on a hangover or comedown is brilliant. just know the dosage!

Chollis

imitationleather

I love the Xanax Marketing Board's slogan.

"XANAX: IT'S REALLY, REALLY ADDICTIVE!"

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 02, 2019, 03:30:40 PM
Christ, I'm really sorry to hear that mate. It is weird how one can say that it seems "easy" for that to creep into people's lives. On the outside it seems absolutely fucking mental, but where does the buck stop when you're dabbling with those sorts of chemicals? Nasty, awful cycles of self-abuse.

Happened quite a lot in the 90's and it was just as described upthread, people got on the ecstasy and then thought that all the anti drug propaganda we'd been pumped with as kids was bullshit.

Piggyoioi

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 02, 2019, 04:18:32 PM
Happened quite a lot in the 90's and it was just as described upthread, people got on the ecstasy and then thought that all the anti drug propaganda we'd been pumped with as kids was bullshit.

Amazing how the anti-drug movement does damage in ways even they didn't intend. Who'd of thought lying a generation of kids would backfire?

LanceUppercut

Stay away from the benzos lads, nearly died after coming off them a couple of years ago.

I also bought a bad batch onetime which wiped two weeks worth of memories completely  out of my brain, scary stuff. Vowed from that day on never to touch them again.

chveik

I'd be pretty worried if one of my mates slept for such a long time after having taken hard drugs, but I don't indulge in such a lifestyle so what do I know.

Crabwalk

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 02, 2019, 03:47:32 PM
Didnt she die from anal cancer?

Yes! And Nags almost joined her as a Charlie Angel.

poo

also went way too hard on the weekend. Might have to have a good look at myself, and not in a finger up the arse turbo tug in front of the mirror kind of way.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

This whole thread is a very good indication of the moral and ethical decline of this once great nation. When I'm in charge I'm going to have all of you shot. So much human effluent.

kngen

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 02, 2019, 03:30:40 PM

Thanks man, but really it just makes me more angry than sad (although one of them, back in the day, taught me one of my favourite bits of music on the guitar, so - if I'm ever noodling away and find myself playing that, I do stop for a minute and think, 'Fuck's sake, man. How did it get that bad?', as his was a particularly shitey, squalid death. That said, they'd pretty much become strangers to me by the time they died, from what they'd turned their life into as much as just a general disconnection between us.

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 02, 2019, 04:18:32 PM

Yep, these fellas were folk I used to smoke the lowest of low-grade hash with when were teens, then the rave thing kicked off and everyone was on E, speed and acid, then it all went a bit weird and one-uppy with people bringing K and coke into the equation (the friends of mine that were small-time dealers, usually, maybe to keep their rep up?), then the big, bad brown was starting to be talked about as if it wasn't so big or bad after all.

I can still vividly picture us all as smartarse teens scoffing at the fact that cannabis was decried as a 'gateway drug': 'Aye, as if we're aw going to turn into pyoor smackheeds overnight!'

Well maybe not overnight, but - if you're a certain type of person - there's a fucking path laid right out in front of you. It's just a matter of how quickly you move along it before something - a blast of common sense, a bad comedown, helping someone else shoot up and thinking 'Um, not sure I'm good with this',* someone else dying in front of you - gets you off it, if you're lucky enough not to succumb to the inevitable. Not everyone, probably not even a sizable minority, but there's definitely a type. I never, ever got into heroin (even when folk got in jellies big time, I was a bit 'eeek!') because I knew I'd fucking LOVE it, and I'd be down Cash Convertors with my guitars in the space of a month.

*That was me, too - the helper that is. Although it was speed not smack. Sill haunts me a bit to this day.

dallasman

Those are some (unironically, I swear) gripping stories, and I can relate, in a small way. I was never anything but a stoner (which has been ruinous enough on its own tbh), but I've still lost two childhood friends to an OD and drug/drink-related heart failure respectively. During the relatively brief period when at least half my social circle were habitual drug users, everyone tried a bit of what was going around, which meant hash, weed speed, E and occasionally acid. Coke was hardly ever around, so I've yet to try that. Some people I knew were well into powders, but I preferred weed and "psychedelics" cause I just loved listening to music, chatting, watching TV, "doing bits" and all that druggy, hippy stoner shit.

The best case party weekend for early 20s dallasman & co would be nights out on Friday and Saturday, with a little toke or whatever to top off the drinks, and then a long, sleepy Sunday nursing a managable hangover getting high, getting takeout, watching a movie, playing cards or board games. Weed, Risk, junk food, good tunes, good mates, late start the following Monday. That's a great time, with just the right, doctor-approved dose of debauchery.

On the handful of occasions where I did E or speed, they were essentially fun adventures with no repercussions. Terrific fun, legendary nights, wouldn't mind repeating that at some point, but nothing like the mini-epiphany I had when I got really stoned for the first time. I had seen a couple of comedowns before I myself partook, and I think that helped, in that we only ever bought a tiny amount, or were offered from someone else's tiny amount. My main housemate did coke once on holiday and never again. Together we did all sorts of cliched stoner stuff, such as getting super high and going people watching at the mall, talking giggly stoner shit into the small hours, or getting super high with about ten people and going to see Independence Day in the THX cinema. By contrast, there was just no relatable context for us - let alone my more cautious friends - to get into chemical habits. Taking pills and powders to go dancing for 15 hours straight was just an alien concept. We'd "dance" to The Pixies, Beck or Teenage Fanclub at the student bodega - maybe even Massive Attack or Portishead - but clubbing wasn't a thing. Being slightly chubby and average-looking, there wasn't much incentive to go strutting one's stuff and (except possibly losing some weight, I guess). Truth be told, I was also a bit of a fucking snob (absolutely not a class thing, as we were borderline poor), and just didn't relate as strongly to our new drug buddies on a personal level, as I did to my older friends who were, overall, even less enthused about the whole scene than I. Being a music guy, I like to think I maybe dodged a bullet with my conservative, dad-like tastes.

We had a switch of roomate in our three-man "party palace" (big overstatement), which brought on a new caliber of house guest. The new third man was a much better fit, but he's also one of the two people who are now dead. Suddenly, we might come home to find some swivel-eyed mid-thirties speed freak in our living room, shouting into his phone. People ringing the doorbell in the middle of the night, looking for people they'd met at an afterparty a month earlier. New aquaintances out out on the couch several mornings in a row. It was the beginning of the end. Within a year, my other roommate had seriously unraveled, and his parents had him sectioned.

I moved in with another, non-druggie mate, but unfortunately kept smoking unwise quantities of hash and weed. I had two dealers, both of whom I knew from "the old days". One was a DJ who fucked everything up on coke etc, and eventually moved back in with his mother after years of bleakness. The other seemed more together, as he was always very lucid and easy to deal with. He had a kid, and could almost pass for a responsible young man. But he was also the guy who casually mentioned how some of his mates would smoke some heroin to take the edge off. He'd tried it once or twice, too, and it wasn't a big deal, really, he told me. I thought he was fucking with me, but he insisted he wasn't, so I eventually accepted that this was a thing people did now, apparently. Never shooting it up, of course - these weren't savages. But in hindsight, he was basically paraphrasing Chris Morris "the amount of heroin I use" line from Brass Eye, and I was a little shocked.

Our mutual friend was the dead guy, so I haven't kept up with this dealer guy. One creepy titbit appeared in regional news a while back, though, as a boy fitting dealer guy's son's name and age, went missing from a village right near where dealer guy was originally from. Could be coincidence, and I'm not even 100% on when he had the kid, but I had an easy time believing that kid's childhood might've taken some dark turns into some shit.

Anyway, there it is - my coke and heroin heck. Stay healthy, Alan. Sounds like a fun gig, though, and it would probably have been even better if you'd all toned it down just a little. Not gonna moralise, no real advice. I wish I had gigs ffs.

Famous Mortimer

My suggestion was going to be, pay a few quid extra for your own hotel room and a pair of earplugs so you can have a nice sleep. Maybe one of those herbal teas with no caffeine in it.

kngen

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 02, 2019, 09:19:47 PM
Maybe one of those herbal teas with no caffeine in it.

Oh, here's a fun one. I have to limit myself to one cup of real tea a day, then shift to decaf tea or I get panic attacks that I'm pretty sure are a consequence of all the acid I did when I was in my late teens (the sensation of 'the fear' and just about hanging onto my sanity by my fingernails is uncannily similar to when the acid stopped being fun towards the end of that period of my life). It's not a particularly strong hook for a 'Don't do drugs' campaign – 'Thirty years from now, you'll kick yourself when you forget to bring a decaf teabag with you when you go out for breakfast!' – but it might work with someone, I suppose.

Brundle-Fly

Cerys

Nagsy, please don't make a habit of this.  Too many of the good ones have ended up not waking up.  Don't be one of them.

Brian Freeze

With relation to feeling rough or not rested after a tranquilised sleep or a coma - the doctor at the sleep/shiftwork clinic referenced in my lightbox query thread, his proper job is as a doctor in the intensive care units and he told us that his patients who have been put into medically induced comas will wake up in sleep deficit. This was in relation to me asking about regular use of own brand Nytol equivalents. According to him, drugged sleep is not proper sleep.

Brian Freeze

Not sure what a Xanax is but I sure do love a generic Nytol. Will lend you lend you one for next time if you like.