Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mp3 player recommendations

Started by BeardFaceMan, December 02, 2019, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Basically, I just want something simple to play my mp3s on. It doesn't have to be a phone, or have radio capabilities, or a big touch screen so you can watch video files or look at pictures, don't need an e-book reader, doesn't need to take photos etc. Just play mp3s, please. Around 16 gig of memory would be nice. Do things like this exist anymore, or is everything integrated to be more than one thing?

Dex Sawash

Yussef Dent

Had a Sandisk clip a few years ago, lost the bloody thing (they're dead small so it was only a matter of time before I did), but that was excellent, had an SD card slot as well. A lot of negative reviews their products get are due to the low volume, but this is because it's restricted out of the box, this can be changed in the settings to turn it up to the maximum level.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 02, 2019, 11:12:45 AM
Basically, I just want something simple to play my mp3s on. It doesn't have to be a phone
Does it have to not be a phone?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 02, 2019, 01:52:41 PM
Does it have to not be a phone?

It having a phone capability isn't a deal breaker or anything, I'd just assume it would be more expensive if it did and I have no need for a phone capability so I'm just trying to save a few quid getting something basic.

Famous Mortimer

There are lots of them on Amazon for less than $20 with decent reviews and all that.

peanutbutter

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 02, 2019, 11:12:45 AM
Basically, I just want something simple to play my mp3s on. It doesn't have to be a phone, or have radio capabilities, or a big touch screen so you can watch video files or look at pictures, don't need an e-book reader, doesn't need to take photos etc. Just play mp3s, please. Around 16 gig of memory would be nice. Do things like this exist anymore, or is everything integrated to be more than one thing?
You're almost certainly gonna realise you fucking hate the interface of most cheap options, or the bizarrely slow loading times. Even the older Sansa Clips, which loads of people rave about, have utterly shite UI and are largely lauded because they run rockbox (which absolutely stuffs the screen with as much data as possible) so well.

That being said, a Sansa Clip Sport (the new shittier version of their mp3 player) might be the closest to what you're looking for.

Pink Gregory

Last time I needed one the top rated one was a Cowon I9.  Got an I9+ but then I sat on it, got a used I9, had it for something like 6 years.  Easy to use, small and unobtrusive.  Quite good.

Send it over mate. Thinking about a Cowon Plenue D2.

Barry Admin

I'd just get a second hand iPhone 5s for like 20 quid

I just fired up my old Sansa Clip+ and it still sounds great, insanely good for the thirty quid or whatever it cost a decade ago.

peanutbutter

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 03, 2019, 06:18:56 PM
I just fired up my old Sansa Clip+ and it still sounds great, insanely good for the thirty quid or whatever it cost a decade ago.
or the forty quid it costs now, used

It sounds well better than my Samsung S9 which is surprising. To be honest, given how good it sounds, I might not get a high-res mp3 player at all. I'd forgotten how great this little tyke is.

Rockboxed of course. Stock firmware is rickets.

Spiteface

Had one of these for just over 2 years:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Resolution-Walkman-3-1-inch-Display/dp/B01NBSVZK7

16 gig, micro SD card slot, and does high-res audio if that's your thing.

Lost my ipod classic, and aside from an incident last week where I basically had to format my SD card and put everything on it again, it's the best alternative to my iPod classic for me with a 128GB card in it.

I liked using the iPod and iTunes because I found it easy, but then they went and discontinued the classic, and apparently they don't work with the most recent iTunes. They do the iPod Touch with 128 and 256 GB capacity, but because I like to use mine in work, for security reasons I can't have anything with a camera on it. This rules out the touch or using a phone. I have also come to like having EVERYTHING in one place, music-wise, so the nanos aren't ideal either.

In short, Fuck Apple.

Also, my sony has BUTTONS on the side as well as a touch screen. I like being able to skip tracks without pulling the thing out of my pocket.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 02, 2019, 08:51:30 PM
Send it over mate. Thinking about a Cowon Plenue D2.
I've had the D1 for a few years and it's a lovely wee thing. Great EQing with a crisp, muscular sound. Highly recommended.

samadriel

Quote from: Spiteface on December 04, 2019, 08:20:33 PM
I liked using the iPod and iTunes because I found it easy, but then they went and discontinued the classic, and apparently they don't work with the most recent iTunes.

Oh you're fucking joking! I was gonna get my old iPod classic souped up with a new battery and big hard drive specifically so I could have a sweet high-capacity player that can interact with ITunes. Oh well, thank you for warning me.

Spiteface

Quote from: samadriel on December 05, 2019, 06:09:10 PM
Oh you're fucking joking! I was gonna get my old iPod classic souped up with a new battery and big hard drive specifically so I could have a sweet high-capacity player that can interact with ITunes. Oh well, thank you for warning me.

Here's a weird thing. I think I may have been wrong on the not-working-with-iTunes-anymore thing.

Stumbled across my old black 30GB iPod Video (5th gen of the "Classic" ipod), and out of curiosity, plugged it into my PC (having left it to charge up all afternoon), and aside from iTunes having to download a bit of software for ipod syncing, It worked, I think.

I am now considering a new battery (Old one drains FAST) and flash storage for it (a 128GB SD card will do me), also buying a "new" cable. Apparently you can get new front panels for them, too.

Might be a project.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: samadriel on December 05, 2019, 06:09:10 PM

Wrong. iPod classic will still work with iTunes with an SSD upgrade. Do it. It's great and gloriously pointless having a 512GB iPod!

Sebastian Cobb

Really liked the cowon ones in the past but no point now I've got really nice sounding bluetooth in ear monitors and spotify + all my mp3's in google music on phone.

samadriel

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on January 26, 2020, 08:49:24 PM
Wrong. iPod classic will still work with iTunes with an SSD upgrade. Do it. It's great and gloriously pointless having a 512GB iPod!
Yaaay, I will do that, thanks

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 02, 2019, 12:11:39 PM

Ah, fond memories.  I remember standing at Shadwell station hearing Witch's first album on this and being completely blown away.  Well weren't we all? 

idunnosomename

WinAmp really kicks the llamas ass

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiteface on January 26, 2020, 06:39:53 PM
Here's a weird thing. I think I may have been wrong on the not-working-with-iTunes-anymore thing.

Stumbled across my old black 30GB iPod Video (5th gen of the "Classic" ipod), and out of curiosity, plugged it into my PC (having left it to charge up all afternoon), and aside from iTunes having to download a bit of software for ipod syncing, It worked, I think.

I am now considering a new battery (Old one drains FAST) and flash storage for it (a 128GB SD card will do me), also buying a "new" cable. Apparently you can get new front panels for them, too.

Might be a project.

So rather than do this BEFORE I got the call to go back to work, I've just ordered the parts:
Battery & tools to pry the thing open
Front Panel & clickwheel (gone for the classic white/grey look)
iFlash adapter & 128GB SD card.

I am actually going ahead with this. If I balls this up, at least I'll still have my Sony. Would rather this iPod, though, as it's loud as fuck and doesn't drop in volume every so often as some weird dont-go-deaf measure.

If I can't get it to behave with iTunes? Rockbox.

The Mollusk

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Spiteface on September 06, 2020, 01:22:56 PM
I am actually going ahead with this. If I balls this up, at least I'll still have my Sony. Would rather this iPod, though, as it's loud as fuck and doesn't drop in volume every so often as some weird dont-go-deaf measure.

If I can't get it to behave with iTunes? Rockbox.

If it was me I'd completely ignore iTunes and go straight to Rockbox.  iTunes is the worst indexing software I've ever used and I'm genuinely bewildered that people still use it.  I also think iPods are massively overrated, so if it was me I'd go back to the Sony and flash it to a different region firmware (download a US or South Korean one as they're always in English) to get around the EU volume limit thing.  Will the Sony not take Rockbox?

Flouncer

Now that we've got ARE SOVRINTY back, we can finally stop those FASCISTS at the EU telling us how loud we can listen to our mp3s.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Flouncer on September 07, 2020, 10:50:19 AM
Now that we've got ARE SOVRINTY back, we can finally stop those FASCISTS at the EU telling us how loud we can listen to our mp3s.

Alas it's been enshrined in UK law I believe :-(

Spiteface

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 06, 2020, 11:25:37 PM
If it was me I'd completely ignore iTunes and go straight to Rockbox.  iTunes is the worst indexing software I've ever used and I'm genuinely bewildered that people still use it.  I also think iPods are massively overrated, so if it was me I'd go back to the Sony and flash it to a different region firmware (download a US or South Korean one as they're always in English) to get around the EU volume limit thing.  Will the Sony not take Rockbox?

Looks like it might. At the moment, sometimes the ipod "malfunctions" when I plug it in, but I'm wondering if when I'm done with this, I may have solved that.  I do like the drag and drop nature of the Sony, but I've always been fond of the clickwheel rather than a touchscreen. An iPod running Rockbox may be the way to go.