Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mp3 player recommendations

Started by BeardFaceMan, December 02, 2019, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Spiteface on September 07, 2020, 01:47:15 PM
Looks like it might. At the moment, sometimes the ipod "malfunctions" when I plug it in, but I'm wondering if when I'm done with this, I may have solved that.  I do like the drag and drop nature of the Sony, but I've always been fond of the clickwheel rather than a touchscreen. An iPod running Rockbox may be the way to go.

On my previous mp3 players (iRiver and Cowon) once I installed Rockbox I never went back, and the iRiver and Cowon own software were both leagues better than iTunes.

I'd still take the Sony over the iPod, but then I'm all about what it sounds like rather than how it's controlled, and the Sony is ten times the audio performer the iPod is.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Spiteface on September 07, 2020, 01:47:15 PM
Looks like it might. At the moment, sometimes the ipod "malfunctions" when I plug it in, but I'm wondering if when I'm done with this, I may have solved that.  I do like the drag and drop nature of the Sony, but I've always been fond of the clickwheel rather than a touchscreen. An iPod running Rockbox may be the way to go.

Depends how it 'malfunctions'? Most iPod problems are caused by borked HDD, so replacing with an SSD mod will solve the problem. Bare in mind that 5th Gen iPods are limited by the RAM to less than 20,000 tracks, they are a bit temperamental over that amount and shuffle all tracks is unlikely to work.

Spiteface

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on September 07, 2020, 02:06:23 PM
Depends how it 'malfunctions'? Most iPod problems are caused by borked HDD, so replacing with an SSD mod will solve the problem. Bare in mind that 5th Gen iPods are limited by the RAM to less than 20,000 tracks, they are a bit temperamental over that amount and shuffle all tracks is unlikely to work.

I plug it in, and Windows tells me the USB device I just plugged in has malfunctioned and it won't recognise the iPod. I did get it to work last week, though.

I currently have less than 20000 songs in my iTunes anyway, and not all of them go on it, so should be fine on that front.

flotemysost

Funny this should be bumped just as my old iPod Nano's finally carked it and I've been considering what to replace it with. Much like the OP I'm really not arsed about it being able to do anything fancy other than play music (and I'm not a fan of using my phone as my main music player, either).

I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, had been eyeing up second-hand iPod Classics mainly just for the capacity, but I've got no particular loyalty to Apple products/software so maybe one that uses SD card storage is a better bet for the money... thanks for the inspiration here, anyway!

The Shanling M0 seems to come out OK in reviews for stuff around that price range, has anyone tried it?

Roy*Mallard

The Shanling M0 is a nice sounding, nice looking player. Ok battery life at about 12 hours. Definitely worth the price.

I had it and traded it in for the Hiby R3, which is about twice the size, but still relatively compact - absolutely love it.

I'm a big fan of Fiio, so you could also try the Fiio M5, which is very similar in size/style to the Shanling, and a similar overall performance too.

Definitely worth anyone's money is the Fiio m3k - nice sounding, great battery life (about 20 hours), compact and ultra cheap for what you get. That would be my top tip for a player under 100 quid (*in fact less than 60 quid!!!!). There's been a recent upgrade too, the M3 Pro, a little more expensive, but i've not had a chance to grab one yet.

Spiteface

All the bits are here. I have ordered a metal spudger and some spare charge/sync cables from Amazon, but plan is to start on this maybe as early as Friday evening.

Caerphilly County Borough is under lockdown again as of last night, so I can't really go anywhere I'd usually go on a weekend anyway. Good chance to sit down and do all this stuff.

Looks like I have to charge the battery and then discharge it a few times as well to start[nb]Is this REALLY necessary?[/nb]. If I feel up to it, might start on this tomorrow after work.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Spiteface on September 09, 2020, 05:19:12 PM
All the bits are here. I have ordered a metal spudger and some spare charge/sync cables from Amazon, but plan is to start on this maybe as early as Friday evening.

Caerphilly County Borough is under lockdown again as of last night, so I can't really go anywhere I'd usually go on a weekend anyway. Good chance to sit down and do all this stuff.

Looks like I have to charge the battery and then discharge it a few times as well to start[nb]Is this REALLY necessary?[/nb]. If I feel up to it, might start on this tomorrow after work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S83ZHf1GAeY

Worth watching this video if you're not familiar with how to do it. (The hardest bit is generally getting case oof without breaking everything)

Obviously you might find his humor off putting, but I find his channel pretty entertaining.

Spiteface

I bloody love DankPods. Actually linked to his "ShrekPod Pro" video in the YouTube thread. That video you posted is really handy, regardless.

His videos have partly inspired this whole thing. My 5th gen seems fairly straightforward to open etc. Just going to take my time with it.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Spiteface on September 09, 2020, 05:45:24 PM
I bloody love DankPods. Actually linked to his "ShrekPod Pro" video in the YouTube thread. That video you posted is really handy, regardless.

His videos have partly inspired this whole thing. My 5th gen seems fairly straightforward to open etc. Just going to take my time with it.

Yep he's very good. Also does the Dankmus Simpsons remixes which are great. Only realised it was the same guy very recently.

flotemysost

Quote from: Roy*Mallard on September 08, 2020, 01:03:58 PM
Definitely worth anyone's money is the Fiio m3k - nice sounding, great battery life (about 20 hours), compact and ultra cheap for what you get. That would be my top tip for a player under 100 quid (*in fact less than 60 quid!!!!).

Off the back of this recommendation (and some subsequent reading up online) I've only gone and got myself one of these.

Still figuring out some of the functions (and also clumsily set the language to Italian by accident in the initial setup and not sure how to change it back), but so far it sounds and looks really nice (to my idiot non-audiophile mind, at least) and seems great value too, so thanks a lot for the heads up :)

Roy*Mallard

Ah that's great - really hope you enjoy it. Think it can take 500+gb micro sd, which is handy.

To change the language -

-Go to the last option on the main menu - 'Settaggi di Sistema'' - a blue circle
-4th from bottom tab is 'language/Lingua'
-Choose English'

Yes, i did just change the language on mine to Italian to help with that!

flotemysost

Spiteface

Completely buggered my ipod trying to to install the flash memory this afternoon.

Battery installation went well. "Calibrated" it by charging, discharging and charging it again. PC still wouldn't recognise it. I thought maybe an ailing hard drive might be it. So I pressed on with putting the iFlash solo in there this afternoon.

Managed to break the bit that held the battery ribbon in place, and when I did get it back in, and reassembled the ipod, I get the sad face.

Decided to leave it there, and keep using the Walkman. Will be looking to circumvent the volume restriction thing, so I'll give that a crack in a bit.

Gonna salvage the micro SD card though, as it should be a perfectly fine card (it's Sandisk, which I've had no problems with in the past, my walkman uses a Sandisk)

Spiteface

Just had a go with this:

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Apparently it's for changing the region on walkmans like mine. set it to "U" so we'll see if this works.

EDIT: Does the Fiio  m3k have any kind of volume bullshit on it? That looks like a lovely bit of kit.

Roy*Mallard

Shouldn't have, as they're made in China and i don't think they add the volume limit for imported models. I live in Hong Kong, so it doesn't affect me, either way.

Maybe flotemysost can comment on volume?

thugler

Got a Hiby R3 pro which is very nice sound quality and functional, can operate via an iphone as well. Only minor issue is I've put about 500gig of music on there which is over the standard limit of 40k tracks, so I have to go through folder navigation to find and play stuff. I'm hoping the firmware updates will eventually fix this

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiteface on September 13, 2020, 02:41:56 PM
Just had a go with this:

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Apparently it's for changing the region on walkmans like mine. set it to "U" so we'll see if this works.

It appears this has worked.

It's seemed louder for the last couple of weeks, will switch back on at the volume it was on last, as opposed to starting at 50, and hasn't done the random "don't go deaf" drop thing.

I may still look into the Fiio, partly because I'm not keen on proprietary charging/sync cables and the Fiio uses micro USB, doesn't it?

Might just order some spare Sony ones anyway.

flotemysost

Quote from: Roy*Mallard on September 13, 2020, 03:02:02 PM
Maybe flotemysost can comment on volume?

You can set a volume limit (under "Play settings" > "Max volume") but it's optional and switched off by default. As I discovered the other day when I put my earphones back in to find my pocket had dialled it up to the max and my cochleas spurted out everywhere.

jk, my hearing is fucked already

Quote from: Spiteface on September 28, 2020, 06:17:37 PM
I may still look into the Fiio, partly because I'm not keen on proprietary charging/sync cables and the Fiio uses micro USB, doesn't it?

Yep, feels dreamy after having to always make sure I had an Apple charger of the requisite girth in my possession for my iPod (as that was the only Apple product I owned, so it wasn't like I'd have a phone charger lying around that could do the job).

BeardFaceMan

Is there a reason why mp3 players seem to have a 4000 file limit? Or is it just the cheap ones that have that? Any way around it?

Spiteface

Been having issues with my beloved Sony Walkman in the headphone socket area. When headphones become unplugged, it automatically pauses. This is a typical thing, iPods I have owned do this. But I think the connections inside the socket aren't as solid as they were, as sometimes I knock it and it pauses as if I unplugged the headphones.

Having had the Sony for four years, and Apple discontinuing iPods altogether, I am thinking it's time for a new one.

Looking at the Fiio M3K:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JDR5SYZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_MRVEET7X1HXTR614RZR5

60 quid, need to supply my own SD card, which I have a few. Micro USB for connecting to my computer and for charging, which is an advantage over my Sony's wacky proprietary connector.

So any thoughts on this or similar recommendations right now are welcome.

willbo

I have a Sansa clip gathering dust somewhere! Haven't thought about it for years. Last thing I remember playing on it was metal band Tremonti's then-new "Dust" album.

Memorex MP3

Headphone jack in both my Sansa Clips are fucked now. Was able to resolder one but the other seems more fucked than just that; gonna try just soldering wires direct and add the headphone jack to the exterior.

If the Fiio m3k was a little bit smaller I'd give it a try.

Spiteface

The Fiio I had my eye on is sold out now.

Decided on the Surfans F20:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surfans-F20-Bluetooth-Lossless-Resolution-grayish-black-32GB/dp/B07VWK4FP3

Looks nice and chunky. I also like the idea of having a clickwheel of sorts again. Physical controls in general are a plus for me. So this and a 256GB SD card will be arriving tomorrow.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Spiteface on May 26, 2022, 05:48:10 PMThe Fiio I had my eye on is sold out now.

Decided on the Surfans F20:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surfans-F20-Bluetooth-Lossless-Resolution-grayish-black-32GB/dp/B07VWK4FP3

Looks nice and chunky. I also like the idea of having a clickwheel of sorts again. Physical controls in general are a plus for me. So this and a 256GB SD card will be arriving tomorrow.

How are you finding it? Got a Walkman currently which is nice enough but a bit fiddly

Spiteface

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on May 28, 2022, 07:47:00 AMHow are you finding it? Got a Walkman currently which is nice enough but a bit fiddly

Gave it a bit of a test drive today, after transferring the contents of my Sony's SD card to the new sd card I'm using in this.

First impressions are good. It works well, sounds good and the controls are quite tactile, which I like. While the body is metal, as is the wheel, I think the buttons are plastic. They feel fine, though, and have a little bit of a click to them. Also, it turns itself off after a certain amount of time if you're not playing anything on it.

You do have to press the power button to turn the screen on if you want to skip tracks, adjust the volume etc. I should be able to get used to where the buttons are soon enough and do stuff without taking it out of my pocket, which is the appeal of physical buttons over a touchscreen for me. This does mean I wouldn't press anything accidentally while it's in my pocket, so again, a good thing.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kinda wish the physical wheel was more sensitive, or scrolled through menus and lists faster. Even a way to skip to a particular letter when scrolling through artists or albums would help immensely. This is a nitpick, though.

The next test will be using it during a normal working day, including commutes to and from the office.

But I like it, seems to do the things I want it to well enough.

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiteface on May 28, 2022, 10:26:44 PMGave it a bit of a test drive today, after transferring the contents of my Sony's SD card to the new sd card I'm using in this.

First impressions are good. It works well, sounds good and the controls are quite tactile, which I like. While the body is metal, as is the wheel, I think the buttons are plastic. They feel fine, though, and have a little bit of a click to them. Also, it turns itself off after a certain amount of time if you're not playing anything on it.

You do have to press the power button to turn the screen on if you want to skip tracks, adjust the volume etc. I should be able to get used to where the buttons are soon enough and do stuff without taking it out of my pocket, which is the appeal of physical buttons over a touchscreen for me. This does mean I wouldn't press anything accidentally while it's in my pocket, so again, a good thing.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kinda wish the physical wheel was more sensitive, or scrolled through menus and lists faster. Even a way to skip to a particular letter when scrolling through artists or albums would help immensely. This is a nitpick, though.

Found said way. You have to hold down a button while turning the scroll wheel. Problem solved.

Spiteface

I spent the weekend having to clean up one room in the house for something. In doing so, I have found a long thought lost iPod classic. A slim 160 GB one.

I remember I stopped using it, because the headphone jack was fucked (only one side working, and I tried multiple pairs of headphones), obviously having not been used in a few years means the battery is no good either (Seemed to last over night after leaving it run with no headphones plugged in, ran out when I picked it up and started using the controls. So it's far from what it was).

A thing that concerns me is a spot on the screen when it's off. Watching Dank Pods videos I'm aware that certain Nanos (na-no.) develop this when the battery starts swelling inside. I think this is the case with my classic, too.

I googled and have found a site that does repairs. They'll do the headphone jack, and a new battery installation is half price with any other repairs they do, combined with DPD delivery back to me, all totals about 50 quid.

I'm using a Surfans F20, and it's nice, but the corners are a bit sharp and as much as I try to get away from such things, I miss the form factor of an iPod with a clickwheel.

I'd have a go myself, but again, thanks to Dank Pods, I know the 6th/7th gen Classics are an absolute pain in the arse to open.