Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Restaurants are shit.

Started by Dusty Substance, December 02, 2019, 04:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

Quote from: Buelligan on December 02, 2019, 06:06:40 PM
In Britain, it comes from the past when most people wore hats.  Women keep their hats on indoors, men take them off.  Men are also expected to remove their hats outside at funerals or when greeting esp. a woman or someone of superior rank.  Technically, it is very rude for a man to keep his hat on indoors (or at a funeral etc) and a sign of either ill-will or barbarianism.

Well, that's all very silly, in my opinion.  A load of meaningless, pointless waffle and nonsense, rooted in a tradition that should have died off ages ago.  "My God, it's a MAN, not a woman mind you, but a MAN and HE has a HAT sat upon his head and he is INDOORS!  There is no sky above.  Yet, still he wears a HAT!  He denies the existence of the sacred roof!  Outrageous!  That beast is a barbarian, I tell you, a beast full of ill-will!"

Ridiculous.  I'm going to start wearing hats indoors all of the time from now on, especially in fancy restaurants, just to annoy the sort of priggish twits who would be so indignant and offended by such an innocuous thing as a simple hat.

phes

Met someone with a large section of their skull missing who wore a riding hat. Probably make you think twice about asking someone to take their hat off. Anyone who thinks they have the right to make you feel bad about a hat needs executing, twice

idunnosomename

Bald people simply do not belong in restaurants.

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on December 02, 2019, 05:57:29 PM
So, every day, you need to prepare fresh food for an uncertain number of people, this means that the food they do not eat has to be paid for too.

Fresh food!? Do you not watch Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares??

Buelligan

Yes, I mentioned it.  It's why I'd be very reluctant indeed to eat in any restaurant but the one I work in.  But I can't afford the prices there.

Hat Note: It's a social signal, like shaking hands or kissing, in France - something that's not necessary but nevertheless, exists.  On the skull-hole fellow, I'd say there are plenty of people who need hats for various reasons and most people seem able to accommodate them.  Similarly, I'm sure they'd accommodate those who can't shake hands but might look askance at those who can but refuse to.  Who can say what is correct?

bgmnts

When I greet a France person and they don't engage in la bise with me, I feel personally offended and add them to my list.

Buelligan

I hope you understand how many times to do it as well. 

imitationleather

The French... are famous... for their kissing.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 02, 2019, 04:07:58 PM
table cloths and ranks of different cutlery for each course

This describes what, 0.1% of restaurants?

Icehaven

I don't think I've ever eaten in a really fancy restaurant, apart from possibly a works do at my then manager's favourite one in Lichfield (she was paying), but for some reason I really like reading restaurant reviews. Jay Rayner is probably best, and certainly doesn't only review fine dining places, he did a Miller and Carter last week and often bigs up small, casual and/or family run places off the beaten track. He seems to have it in for overpriced and apparently often  totally crap hotel restaurants too, which is always fun.

No, restaurants are not shit.
Reasons:
- The Walnut Tree, Abergavenny
- Marcus Wareing's Gilbert Scott at St Pancras.
Those are my culinary highlights, and, to my surprise, after consulting my records, I find I went to both of them in the same week in 2011.
I must have had a bit more money back then than I realised; I certainly wouldn't treat myself to them now.

ProvanFan

It's 22 men in shorts kicking a ball around a field isn't it?

Also not as good as it used to be and not as clever as it thinks it is.

Captain Crunch

As long as he takes his scarf off, eh girls?

Buelligan

Quote from: imitationleather on December 02, 2019, 06:28:44 PM
The French... are famous... for their kissing.

Heheh.  Yes, it brought you straight to mind.

Zetetic

Quote from: sick as a pike on December 02, 2019, 06:31:27 PM
I certainly wouldn't treat myself to them now.
I find it's best to have one's mother take you to The Walnut Tree.

gib

Quote from: Captain Crunch on December 02, 2019, 06:39:39 PM
As long as he takes his scarf off, eh girls?

He's got some neck, wearing that.

Rizla

rest a) ur aunt, rest b) ur uncle, rest c) ur cousin timmy

Make restaurant visits more fun by ordering a Coupe Colonel for dessert. There's you with your nice refreshing lemon sorbet and a big old shot of vodka napped over it, everyone else packing cake and pie and tart into their stupid faces whilst you've ordered a classy french thing that's not even on the menu and getting a bit more pissed into the bargain. ET VOILA

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on December 02, 2019, 06:26:23 PM
I hope you understand how many times to do it as well.

Depends on the cheeks you are kissing I suppose.

Buelligan

Quote from: Zetetic on December 02, 2019, 06:41:57 PM
I find it's best to have one's mother take you to The Walnut Tree.

I heard it went off the boil well over a decade ago, is it still an acceptable destination?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIf you go to somewhere where the food on the menu is very cheap, ask yourself where the corners are being cut. 

This applies to pretty much any cheaply available consumer item or service provision, but we are rather brainwashed through advertising and peer pressure to think our lives aren't complete without following the herd, and cheap is how that dynamic becomes democratised, it is also how ordinary people end up batting for big business instead of railing against it. The fear that one day the joyride of cheap consumables will be over.

What's not to like?  A standard of food way beyond what I could prepare myself (and new things I might never have thought of), someone else makes it for you and washes all the dishes.

Plus, I can just buy my parents restaurant vouchers for Christmas without having to wrack my brains for gift ideas.

We're probably a bit spoiled in Glasgow though, as there's loads of good restaurants of many types.

Only drawback is the odd occasion where you make a bad choice of restaurant and get a shite meal and/or ripped off.  Especially when there are loads of good restaurants nearby.  Some of the worst restaurant experiences I've had are with a mate who always insists on going for 5pm.co.uk deals and places with money-off vouchers.

bgmnts

Does a Toby Carvery count as a restaurant?

Buelligan

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 02, 2019, 06:49:18 PM
Only drawback is the odd occasion where you make a bad choice of restaurant and get a shite meal and/or ripped off.  Especially when there are loads of good restaurants nearby.  Some of the worst restaurant experiences I've had are with a mate who always insists on going for 5pm.co.uk deals and places with money-off vouchers.

That tells you all you need to know, doesn't it?  If the restaurant's good, it doesn't need to give discounts to get people through the door.  Also, I would say, if a restaurant's reasonably pricey and the food is bad.  Complain.  I don't mean, if you order something you've never tasted before and you don't like it, complain - that's unreasonable.  But if it's badly seasoned over or under-cooked, cold, aged or infirm, fucking tell them (politely).

Cuellar

You have to be clinically insane to care about someone wearing a hat indoors. Sorry.

Buelligan

Yep, like those mad men who worry about whether they can see someone's naked arse in hot weather.

Zetetic

Quote from: Buelligan on December 02, 2019, 06:47:07 PM
I heard it went off the boil well over a decade ago, is it still an acceptable destination?
I thought so, IIRC.

But, our choices are constrained by our transport options (and to an extent my cruelty).

Jim Bob

Quote from: Cuellar on December 02, 2019, 06:59:43 PM
You have to be clinically insane to care about someone wearing a hat indoors. Sorry.

Well, either clinically insane or a self-righteous, judgemental snob, with nothing better to do than to cast aspersions upon strangers minding their own business.

Buelligan

Quote from: Zetetic on December 02, 2019, 07:06:03 PM
I thought so, IIRC.

But, our choices are constrained by our transport options (and to an extent my cruelty).

Intriguing.  My sympathy's, even more than before, completely with your mother.

bgmnts

What's the point of being in situations where you're surrounded by strangers if you can't cast aspersions on them.