Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:13:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Free Solo

Started by touchingcloth, December 04, 2019, 09:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

This isn't as funny as that chimney fucker a few weeks ago

honeychile

To echo the previous posts, the film Free solo is well worth a couple of hours of anyone's time. I'm not big into climbing or mountaineering or such, but it's a fascinating insight into what draws one particular person into doing it, and the cold calculations that he makes in accepting the deaths of others and assessing the prospect of living more safely without free soloing versus living more dangerously with it.

I was literally gripping the arms of the seat at the cinema during some scenes. I don't remember ever tensing up so much watching anything.

touchingcloth

Is it as hair raising as Man on Wire? At least the rock lads have handholds.

Jim Bob

Quote from: honeychile on December 04, 2019, 09:51:16 PM
To echo the previous posts, the film Free solo is well worth a couple of hours of anyone's time.

I don't know.  Whilst I applaud the filmmakers for thinking outside of the box, it really didn't feel like Star Wars to me.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 04, 2019, 10:24:47 PM
I don't know.  Whilst I applaud the filmmakers for thinking outside of the box, it really didn't feel like Star Wars to me.

He's gotten stuck again

Noodle Lizard

The documentary's very good, especially if (like me) you're really into documentaries about obsession or unusual hobbies. Somehow, his "please don't fucking die" girlfriend really becomes the villain of this one. You sympathize with her, and her arguments make perfect sense (basically "if you do this long enough, it's eventually going to go very wrong"), but at the same time it's hard not to think "this is all he does, you met him while he was giving a lecture about how it's all he does and it's still all he's interested in - why do you think you can/should change that?" There's this bit where she's going on about some fridge she wants him to get and he just couldn't care less, his mind's perpetually on a rock somewhere.

Anyway, really interesting documentary, far more than the premise would lead you to believe. The climb itself is properly tense, even knowing he's successful. With regards to this thread, there's quite a lot of focus on the casualties and tragedies that befell and continue to befall others in the community. It's certainly not something I'd ever want to try myself, but I think this documentary makes the appeal of it quite clear.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 04, 2019, 08:47:42 PM
Who is Homer Simpson?

You know he kept stacking up betamaxes and when the holidays came he bristled with ejaculate.

Dex Sawash

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Definitely not something I can see myself doing. My hands get sweaty just from climbing up a tower in an Assassin's Creed game.

Noddy Tomkey

Expected to pay for this thread. Pleasantly surprised.

Twit 2

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on December 05, 2019, 10:51:36 PM
Expected to pay for this thread. Pleasantly surprised

Bah, I had just come in to write "...with every purchase."

Noddy Tomkey

Just be glad he wasn't wanking.

Replies From View

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on December 05, 2019, 11:08:59 PM
Just be glad he wasn't wanking.

Is it called Hands Solo when they combine these hobbies?

Icehaven

Doesn't really fit this thread but more so than anywhere else; how did an island that is literally just an active volcano sticking out of the sea, nothing else at all, become a popular tourist destination? A resident of the nearest coastal town was being interviewed on the news and said they're quite used to seeing it belching plumes of smoke, so it's not as if it wasn't quite visibly (even disregarding the wealth of other info about it's activity) AN ACTIVE VOLCANO. It's 'privately owned' (?!?) though, so the tours and tour operators don't seem to have been subject to much safety regulation.

Chollis

I did see the headline 'police open investigation' which I suppose they have to do after quite a lot of people die. What are they going to find? Will their report just say "Volcano mate"

shiftwork2

Always fancied being one of these Pepsi Max mavericks, dicing with death on Saturdays.  But in the end the sofa won out and I just put the kettle on.

Jim Bob

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 10, 2019, 10:49:26 AM
Always fancied being one of these Pepsi Max mavericks, dicing with death on Saturdays.  But in the end the sofa won out and I just put the kettle on.

Mate.  You're never going to meet an untimely death with that kind of attitude.  Think on.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on December 04, 2019, 06:48:55 PM
A friend of mine from school was an avid rock climber. Years later, she and her fiance were climbing a mountain in France somewhere, attached together as they went up. He took a slip and fell, taking her down with her. She died, he survived. Not too surprisingly, he was fucking devastated.

Fuck. Imagine having that shit on your conscience. Did you see that woman who walked into a shopping centre and was flattened by some dope who threw himself from a height? She survived, but only with her neck as an internal organ. The guy also (annoyingly) survived, but he has that poor girl's paralysis on his conscience now. The twat.

steve98

I watched a vid recently of one of these BASE jumpers muckin' about on the top of a 60 story building. He skips and dances about on the edge for a bit, then puts his camera down and hangs by his hands over the side. Well reader, it didn't end well for him, and I wondered why he didn't check - whilst he was on the ground - that he was capable of doing a pull-up (Which he wasn't).

thenoise

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 10, 2019, 03:15:24 PM
Fuck. Imagine having that shit on your conscience. Did you see that woman who walked into a shopping centre and was flattened by some dope who threw himself from a height? She survived, but only with her neck as an internal organ. The guy also (annoyingly) survived, but he has that poor girl's paralysis on his conscience now. The twat.

Moral: look before you leap.