Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What was the first game you completed?

Started by Beagle 2, December 05, 2019, 12:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

I am poor at video games and I have a tiny attention span. My policy has always been to play loads of them for a short space of time, which has stood me in good stead over the years as surely the most expensive and unrewarding way to enjoy the art form.

It means I can remember pretty much all the games I have ever completed (and by that I mean get to the end, fuck trying to 100% any of them, I'm not Rain Man).

The first game I can remember SMASHING was mediocore Contra rip off Midnight Resistance. With modern graphics, a loading screen featuring a member of staff burning to death would be horrific, but this was the 80s and most of the entertainment I consumed before the age of eight featured at least one man ablaze issuing a Wilhelm scream as his skin fell off. 

The last boss was a giant Dominic Cummings head puking brains. No qualms about putting him at rest, his prospects in love and life seemed bleak and he was clearly very agitated.

Completing a game always leaves me with the empty feeling of a wasted ejaculation to be honest. They could at least send you a little plaque.

madhair60

Probably Fun School 2 on the Spectrum, or failing that Castle of Illusion on Master System.

the

I think it was Gunsmoke on the NES round my mate's. That was no walk in the park, let me tell you

bgmnts

That I can definitely remember would be Halo.

Chollis

bgmnts

92 but I can barely remember last week, let alone my childhood. I didn't really start completing games til later I just played them until I got bored.

Jerzy Bondov

Fantasy World Dizzy on the ST I think. Got all the coins and everything.

Famous Mortimer

Super Mario Brothers, probably. My entire family was into it, my Mum was desperate to find warps so she could beat me, my little sisters were into it too...it was pretty fantastic when I was the first person in the house to beat it.

Since then I've been mostly terrible at games. But I'm going to see if I can do it again, and I might even aim for sub ten minutes.

BeardFaceMan

Probably Bruce Lee on the C64. I certainly dont remember beating any games on the Spectrum.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 05, 2019, 02:42:51 PM
Probably Bruce Lee on the C64. I certainly dont remember beating any games on the Spectrum.

I think that might be mine too, it's that or Ghostbusters (which turned out to be all a bit easy, looking back).

Deyv

New Zealand Story, or Toki. I remember them being amazing, no interest in finding out if they were crap.

Can't remember. It definitely wasn't Jet Set Willy though as I remember being introduced to the concept of game breaking bugs at a very early age with that one.

Sin Agog

easytarget

Probably "Dizzy – The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure" (Codemasters 1987) on the ZX Spectrum
Then a bit of a pause
Then Half-Life (Valve 1998) on a beige PC.

popcorn

I can complete any game on max difficulty.

First game I completed was Sonic 2. I paused it as Sonic was running out of the exploding Death Egg and went around my house informing people that the Sonic 2 ending was going to play if they wanted to see it.

Space ghost

Waking Life

Granny's Garden? Fig.

Treasure Island Dizzy was the first 'proper' one, but I suppose there were a lot for the spectrum and BBC Micro that just 'ended'. Imogen springs to mind.

I never did complete the original Dizzy. It was 'bastard hard', from what I remember / maybe I was too young. Even with three lives. Ever since, I've always pushed myself to finish games and have gradually accumulated a mountain of regrets for those that I haven't. Difficult to get out of bed in the morning.

seepage

Glebe

Not sure, but I remember winning Head Over Heels on me Speccy 48K and actually getting me Dad to take a photo of me and the screen...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'd say Street Fighter 2, but I didn't finish it with every character so I don't know if that counts.

Donkey Kong Country, maybe.

Mister Six

Probably Fantasy World Dizzy, but only with a guide to where all the coins or cherries or whatever were hidden. I'd never have managed otherwise.

I don't think I ever completed another Spectrum game. Maybe I did the first Dizzy? I recall seeing Zaks but I don't know if I actually beat him.

Don't know if I ever completed a game in my life apart from my 1CC of Mushihimesama Futari.

SavageHedgehog

The Flintstones on Mega Drive. It was a rental and about two years into owning a Mega Drive, and it's still one of the few games I've ever completed. I think it was a bit easy.

earl_sleek

Captain Commando in the arcade.

Then probably Ocarina of Time. I reckon I completed most N64 games that I had, apart from Body Harvest.

kngen

Sabrewulf on the Speccy. I had a joystick with autofire on though, so it feels unearned to this day.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Goldeneye! 9 year old me was dead chuffed but I think the only way I managed to complete the Aztec bonus level , with the floor tiles you had to cross in a certain way, was with an action replay cartridge.

First game I completed absolutely 100% was Tony Hawk's 3, completed everything with every skater and got some big "You've completed the game!!" on the screen and went out and got laid 6 years later.

Malcy

Kings Quest I think at 4/5 years old. I can't even complete it now without a walkthrough. If not that then it was Wonder Boy on an arcade machine in a Greek pub at around 5am around the same age. Can't complete that now either...

Jim Bob

Quote from: Malcy on December 07, 2019, 02:43:00 AM
Kings Quest I think at 4/5 years old. I can't even complete it now without a walkthrough.

Crickey!  You have my undying respect for solving Rumpelstiltskin's riddle.  I could be in Hell, being told by the Devil himself, that I could escape and transcend to Heaven, if only I can solve the Rumpelstiltskin puzzle without a walkthrough.  An eternity a suffering would await me.

Malcy

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 07, 2019, 03:53:25 AM
Crickey!  You have my undying respect for solving Rumpelstiltskin's riddle.  I could be in Hell, being told by the Devil himself, that I could escape and transcend to Heaven, if only I can solve the Rumpelstiltskin puzzle without a walkthrough.  An eternity a suffering would await me.

I think the game manual had the name written on it somewhere. It could have been KQ3 though.  Can't remember. Long long time ago.