Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:16:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What was the first game you completed?

Started by Beagle 2, December 05, 2019, 12:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 05, 2019, 02:46:51 PMI think that might be mine too, it's that or Ghostbusters (which turned out to be all a bit easy, looking back).

I think Ghostbusters on the C64 was my first also, and several times after that. It was a pretty quick one to beat, probably about half an hour at most, and you got extra money to spend on more advance equipment on the second playthrough which made it even easier.

peanutbutter

FF7 maybe? even then I left it hanging on disc 3 for months, seemingly never gave a shite about completing a game. Pokemon League in Red may have pipped it though.

Most times I've finished a game it's been actively a surprise, the credits roll and I'm like "I had no clue that was meant to be the climax of the game..." Feel like the vast majority of games really don't give a shit at the end beyond dragging shit out to make it objectively in some manner more value for money

Kryton

CJ in the USA (C64) (I think?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJAzSgZnnG8

Edit: Thinking about it, it could have been Treasure Island Dizzy (which was a fucking bastard).

Cerys

It was either Super Aleste or a very similar shooter.  The final boss had music that involved the words 'I come from the world beneath', if that helps anyone identify it.

At around the same time, I completed Mortal Kombat 2, but I think the shooter was first.

Edit - it was 'the world beyond, and it was definitely Super Aleste.  Been trying to work that out, on and off, for years!

Ferris

The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis

The first game I remember really playing was Worms, but you can't really "complete" that.

Jim Bob

It's odd that so many people's first game which they played to completion was Dizzy.

NoSleep

I think it was Link's Awakening. Before getting a GB, the only platform I owned was an AtariST (and an Atari 400 before that) and many of the games I played were like arcade games, not really designed to get to the end of them, just to rack up a (not particularly impressive) high score (Llamatron being my favourite). Other than the arcade style games there were a few others that kept me drawn in but I never completed, like Powermonger and Bombuzal (AKA Ka-Blooey) which both had a puzzle/strategy element.

Waking Life

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 08, 2019, 06:03:47 AM
It's odd that so many people's first game which they played to completion was Dizzy.

Probably a mix of age profile, the volume of Dizzy titles, and that there were fewer games you could 'finish' in that era. It used to be largely score driven.

Non Stop Dancer

Can't quite piece together the chronology, but would either be Super Mario Bros, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, or the arcade game Wardner.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on December 07, 2019, 11:56:41 AM
I think Ghostbusters on the C64 was my first also, and several times after that. It was a pretty quick one to beat, probably about half an hour at most, and you got extra money to spend on more advance equipment on the second playthrough which made it even easier.

For a full price title it was surprisingly easy wasn't it. Which reminds me, there were a good few Mastertronic budget titles which I completed, but then I'm sure many people did as a good few were only five or ten screens long.

The first (and only) arcade game I ever completed was The Simpsons one, which I was really proud of at the time, only to come on here in the early 2000s to discover that nearly everyone posting had done the same thing and as arcade games go it was pretty much the easiest one.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 08, 2019, 06:03:47 AM
They had to beat that egg.

Turtles In Time on the SNES. It was a pretty easy game though, just mash the buttons until the end.

kalowski

Manic Miner.
The day before I'd got to screen 19 and died and was ready to smash the bloody Spectrum to pieces (there were 20 screens).

Malcy

Quote from: kalowski on December 08, 2019, 12:41:32 PM
Manic Miner.
The day before I'd got to screen 19 and died and was ready to smash the bloody Spectrum to pieces (there were 20 screens).

I was on the final boss of Who Framed Roger Rabbit on the Gameboy and had just fired the winning shot but as the bullet was just pixels away from me hitting him and winning the bloody batteries died.

I don't think you could save it so that was me back to the start. Headbutted the screen and it smashed. My first instance of gaming rage!

Also got to level 41 on Level 42 and died. That was a killer.

Ferris

Quote from: Malcy on December 08, 2019, 04:29:47 PM

I was on the final boss of Who Framed Roger Rabbit on the Gameboy and had just fired the winning shot but as the bullet was just pixels away from me hitting him and winning the bloody batteries died.

I don't think you could save it so that was me back to the start. Headbutted the screen and it smashed. My first instance of gaming rage!

As I completed Zoombinis the first time around, just as the last one was trundling over the finish line, I threw my hands up in celebration, and hit the power button of the CPU and lost all my progress.

This is absolutely true. I still remember the white hot fury, the time of day, the room where it happened, the old PC and computer chair. The puce indignant rage has imprinted it on my child's brain forever.

28 years old, I was.

kalowski

Quote from: Malcy on December 08, 2019, 04:29:47 PM

Thing is, as I remember, when you did complete Manic Miner there was a weird picture if a syringe and a mackerel and then it went back to the start.

Wonder if anyone ever completed Jet Set Willy and what happened then?

wooders1978

Probably super mario bros on the Nintendo - I had a spectrum but not sure I actually completed anything on that as I only really got into gaming when the Nintendo was released
I did spend all my pocket money completing "Altered Beast" arcade on a camping holiday in France but not sure if that was pre-mario bros

Blinder Data

Probably Super Mario Land on the Game Boy, because the thing had no saves. You just had to power through, which was useful on long car journeys. Lovely soundtrack.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 09, 2019, 02:16:23 PM
Probably Super Mario Land on the Game Boy, because the thing had no saves. You just had to power through, which was useful on long car journeys. Lovely soundtrack.

That was the first Mario I played, so that's the proper Mario soundtrack to my brain.

Chuckle Egg on the Spectrum. I think it just looped back to the first screen again.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 10, 2019, 12:07:03 PM
Chuckle Egg on the Spectrum. I think it just looped back to the first screen again.

More egg based games!

Pseudopath

Quote from: kalowski on December 08, 2019, 10:23:47 PM
Wonder if anyone ever completed Jet Set Willy and what happened then?

It was actually impossible to finish upon release due to the attic bug.

Utter Shit

I think Super Mario Land on the original Game Boy. Great game, and the sequel was even better.

The Culture Bunker

Most Spectrum games I remember playing didn't have an end as such, you just kept going until you got killed or whatever. Sure I finished Target: Renegade with my brother, though, and a friend and I sussed out how to finish Mercenary after putting in an obscene amount of hours.

kalowski

Quote from: Pseudopath on December 10, 2019, 02:12:48 PM
It was actually impossible to finish upon release due to the attic bug.
QuoteThe root cause of the bug is a misplaced arrow, defined by the entity specification at 59900. The second byte of the entity specification is an index into the table of screen buffer addresses at 33280, and determines the arrow's y-coordinate; the index should be an even number, but the value of the second byte is 213, which means the arrow-drawing routine at 37310 looks up the word at 33493 and finds 41066, way outside the actual screen buffer at 24576-28671
Matthew Smith. What a Dilbert!

Bazooka

The Game of Life. lol.

Probably Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers on the NES.

Gulftastic

Hard to say. Games I finished back in the day (or 'clocked' as we used to call it), Pyjamara, Bruce Lee, Underworld, Sabre Wulf. I reckon the last one might have been first.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Bazooka on December 11, 2019, 09:47:53 AM
Probably Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers on the NES.

My first game was Egg 'n' Chips.

Norton Canes

Not sure. Had a few ZX81 games but I don't remember any of them being completable. Trying to remember the early Spectrum games I played... Ant Attack, Maybe? Tranz Am?

Fired up Tranz Am again the other night actually. I do love it - the way it conveys, probably as much as any 16K game ever can, the feeling of racing across a post-apocalyptic American wasteland.

kalowski

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 12, 2019, 07:48:43 PM
Not sure. Had a few ZX81 games but I don't remember any of them being completable. Trying to remember the early Spectrum games I played... Ant Attack, Maybe? Tranz Am?

Fired up Tranz Am again the other night actually. I do love it - the way it conveys, probably as much as any 16K game ever can, the feeling of racing across a post-apocalyptic American wasteland.
Is that the one where you drove through Albuquerque and places like that?