Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:10:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bloodshot (2020) and maybe Harbinger (2020 I think)

Started by samadriel, December 05, 2019, 05:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

These are both comic-book movies based on Valiant Comics titles. Valiant wanted to develop a cinematic universe beginning around the two titles, however Sony have sold the Harbinger project off to Paramount, thus splitting them apart.
I have no problem with "cinematic universes" per se; I think Marvel shows that they -can- really work, and every other cynical casher-in shows that there are no shortcuts - you can't jump straight into a Justice League without making good standalone movies first.

https://youtu.be/vOUVVDWdXbo
Bloodshot looks strikingly boring, like every other super tough/enhanced revenge bruiser from the past few decades (John Wick? Whatsisname in Taken? Lucy? The Winter Soldier? The Punisher? The Universal Soldiers? That other Vin Diesel character from Pitch Black? Steven Seagal's whole career?)

Now, I know I said above that franchise films have to stand on their own two feet first, but I actually would've given Bloodshot a chance if it had stayed connected to Harbinger - I just finished the second omnibus collection of Harbinger, and I flat-out loved it. I think Paramount could do very well with the series and cash in on the teenage rebel us-against-the-world fantasy sorta thing if they successfully capture the comic's virtues (now that I write it down, I can't think of many examples... X-Men? Hunger Games? But I still think there's some strong escapist appeal to the series). If Paramount decide to develop a "VCU", Sony's retention of Bloodshot (who is not -nearly- as valuable to Valiant as Spidey is to Marvel) could actually excise one of Valiant's least interesting heroes from their plans, and do them a big favour.

I don't think this thread will garner any replies, but I felt the need to share with -someone- after watching that ho-hum Bloodshot trailer. If Harbinger works out, we could get XO Manowar or Ninjak on the big screen, and that'd be a fine old time.