Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:13:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Feelings of ominous despair.

Started by Kryton, December 05, 2019, 11:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Genuinely shitting myself. If the Tories get in again, everything is fucked. My home town is poor as fuck, so many homeless people, numerous food banks, ruthless Universal credit staff - that kinda thing. Shops closing, budgets being slashed, no funding....

You'd think people would be rallying for Labour to fight back, but it seems the Tory/Brexit brainwashing has done its job. Lots of heartless/clueless/ignorant comments on social media supporting Boris Johnson / Nigel Farage but blaming local Labour MP's for the recent decline. Makes me despair.
Extremely dubious and somewhat threatening remarks about Labour councillors being 'traitors' for not respecting the 52% Brexit decision. Some of these cunts would kill their own children if 52% of people voted for it.

I genuinely think Johnson (if he wins) will take us down a route of no return. Goodbye NHS.

Twit 2

It'll all be fine, I reckon. Have you considered voting Tory for a laugh?

Space ghost

Best thing to do is stop looking at social media. You can apply this advice to nearly any situation.

Danger Man

Quote from: Kryton on December 05, 2019, 11:30:25 PM
I genuinely think Johnson (if he wins) will take us down a route of no return. Goodbye NHS.

Johnson is basically Berlusconi and Italy seems to be ok.

(Not that I know anything about Italy)

canadagoose

We're all completely fooked, aren't we. Hate it. Hate it. Dunno what we can even do.

Ferris

You're not tied to the UK*. If it's going down the shitter, leave it for a few years. UK/Irish citizens are eligible for work permits all over the world. Good for the CV, nice bit of life experience, come back when the place is less of a mess.

It's miserable, but if the place makes you feel naught but dread and despair (as it does for me, the small "c" conservative shithole) then a break elsewhere might be a great fit. Might not be your thing (and it's not available to everyone based on age/commitments/family etc etc) but figured I'd mention it anyway. I can be contacted at the usual address for advice on moving to Canada.

*apart from all the ways you are tied to the UK like family and friends and jobs and that

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 06, 2019, 03:09:57 AM
You're not tied to the UK*. If it's going down the shitter, leave it for a few years.

You made me remember that every election some celeb, often one we hate, says they'll leave the country if such-and-such party wins, and then when said party wins they never do!

Ferris

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 06, 2019, 03:25:23 AM
You made me remember that every election some celeb, often one we hate, says they'll leave the country if such-and-such party wins, and then when said party wins they never do!

I left when I said I would. There are dozens of us!

mr. logic

I promised to myself that I will move back if Labour win

H-O-W-L

I've been pretty much daily drunk since October now.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You're not tied to the UK*. If it's going down the shitter, leave it for a few years. UK/Irish citizens are eligible for work permits all over the world. Good for the CV, nice bit of life experience, come back when the place is less of a mess.

It's miserable, but if the place makes you feel naught but dread and despair (as it does for me, the small "c" conservative shithole) then a break elsewhere might be a great fit. Might not be your thing (and it's not available to everyone based on age/commitments/family etc etc) but figured I'd mention it anyway. I can be contacted at the usual address for advice on moving to Canada.

*apart from all the ways you are tied to the UK like family and friends and jobs and that

Can I come and live with you?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Danger Man on December 05, 2019, 11:35:25 PM
Johnson is basically Berlusconi and Italy seems to be ok.

(Not that I know anything about Italy)

Trollest comment ever

BlodwynPig

Quote from: canadagoose on December 06, 2019, 02:51:18 AM
We're all completely fooked, aren't we. Hate it. Hate it. Dunno what we can even do.

Violent uprising

Pitchfork frenzy

BlodwynPig

Thanks for that. Fucking bad timing, eh (canadian)

BlodwynPig

Konki

Can a nation be stupid? I reckon the UK is about to prove it can be.

Ominous Dave

At the current exchange rate it only costs £548,389 to get Maltese (and therefore EU) citizenship. Haven't fished down the back of my sofa for coins lately but I reckon there's probably at least that many.

Urinal Cake

Tories have done a great job going through every strata of society and convincing them Corbyn and Labour will be the worst thing on earth.
For example Aramando and his lot of has decided -with a heavy heart- that it is better to have child poverty than let Corbyn transport Jews to a concentration camp in Worcester.

H-O-W-L

Haven't got my polling card yet, though I got my card for council elections a few months ago. Am I rogered?

Buelligan

You can still vote (if you're registered to vote and it sounds like you are) but it makes sense to check where your card is (because this will make the whole process easier when you go to vote).  You can find out where to chase it up using this handy checker thing.

I'd say to anyone who's despairing, don't despair, take action.  Now is the time for action to end the despair.  Get up and do it.

popcorn

A Bad Sense of Dread Suddenly Overwhelms Us.

kittens

this time next week corbo will be PM. this is the case. mark my words lads.

buttgammon

I can't even leave the country because I've already done that, and Ireland's clearly going down the toilet too. We'll be fucked to death by Brexit, but even without that, Dublin is becoming an awful place to live. Any scrap of culture or history has been sold, demolished or privatised, slum landlords are pushing rents to absurd levels that rise month on month and the homelessness epidemic is far beyond crisis point, but the government have no interest in resolving it. The only investment seems to be in projects for tourists and idiotic white elephant projects designed to impress tech bros. The city is now something in between a theme park and a Victorian nightmare.

The terrifying thing is that a lot of the issues we're trying to deal with are global problems, that virtually no western governments are willing to address.

Buelligan

Hate to harp on but that really is why this push for change with Corbyn is so important and not just for the UK.  In the case of Eire, taking no deal off the table, making the options either a sane brexit or remain would save a lot of economic heartache for the Irish economy.  The revolution Corbyn's election and premiership, would bring, in terms of proving what is possible, well, that could change not just Ireland but the world, it could be the pebble that starts the landslide heralding a new world order.  I believe in it.  I hope for it.

So please, don't give up anybody, we are so nearly there.  When you think of all the barriers we have overcome, we must not stop.

Icehaven

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 06, 2019, 08:28:15 AM
Haven't got my polling card yet, though I got my card for council elections a few months ago. Am I rogered?

Same here, although I've never once taken my polling card with me when going to vote and it's never mattered so you should be fine. Still wondering where it's got to though.

popcorn

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on December 06, 2019, 09:42:12 AM
Hate to harp on but that really is why this push for change with Corbyn is so important and not just for the UK.  In the case of Eire, have a laqer.

Buelligan

You know me too well piggers, my words always have two meanings.  Almost always.

Now stop thinking about laquering and do something for the Revolution.

Absorb the anus burn

Sorry Kryton, but fuck that... Millions of people in this country are determined to prevent a Tory majority.... Are you canvassing? Are you using the Labour phone ap? Are you volunteering on election day?