Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,352
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Feelings of ominous despair.

Started by Kryton, December 05, 2019, 11:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on December 06, 2019, 10:33:22 AM
Sorry Kryton, but fuck that... Millions of people in this country are determined to prevent a Tory majority.... Are you canvassing? Are you using the Labour phone ap? Are you volunteering on election day?

Exactly. You might need to push yourself out of your comfort zone but there's stuff you can do. Save the terror for the 13th, until then fight your fucking bollocks off.

kittens

if a fucked up fatso like me can knock on people's doors, so can you

Buelligan

Exactly.  These bastards, who've had their boot on your face for all these years, they're relying on you being beaten, they need you to despair.  Rise up my darlings in all your might and beauty, even the fat, fucked up ones, throw off the chains of despair and change the world forever.  Fucking do it, because you can.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

We exist in the most privileged period of history. Any other era and you'd be a feudal serf with a real boot on your neck. Contextualise the situation. Take a break from the net. Engage with the people around you. Chill out. Relax.

bgmnts

Nothing has changed, the feudal serfs just have telly's now.

Icehaven

A few years back I had a total break from the News and commercial TV (because a lot of ads make me deeply sad, particularly around Christmas) for a month or so, and I genuinely felt better. With streaming services now that should be easier than ever too. I'm not suggesting a permanent total disengagement with current affairs in favour of watching Voyager for the rest of your life, it's just if staying informed is bringing you to the point where your mental wellbeing is being adversely affected it's really not worth it. The same things are going to happen if you know about them immediately, later or never, but different things could happen to you depending on whether or not you give yourself a break or not. It will affect you more than you will affect it, if you see what I mean.

New folder

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on December 06, 2019, 12:56:44 PM
We exist in the most privileged period of history. Any other era and you'd be a feudal serf with a real boot on your neck. Contextualise the situation. Take a break from the net. Engage with the people around you. Chill out. Relax.

Flouncer

I'm disabled and reliant on benefits. They've already put me through hell and made my problems worse. There are hundreds of thousands of people like me; some of us have died in the coalition years as a direct result of austerity. Boris and his pals are going to make the last ten years look like a fucking tea party if they get a majority. Get fucked you rotten cunt - contextualise that.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: icehaven on December 06, 2019, 01:10:28 PM
total disengagement with current affairs in favour of watching Voyager for the rest of your life

Janeway > Thatcher
Chakotay > Geoffrey Howe
Tuvok > Ken Livingstone
Neelix > Denis Healey
The Doctor > Neil Kinnock
Paris > David Owen
Kim > David Steel
Seven > Princess Di
Kes > Shirley Williams
B'Ellana > Pamella Bordes
Lon Suder > Tebbit
Seska > Edwina Curry
Q > Arthur Scargill

But as Spitting Image Puppets.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Icehaven

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on December 06, 2019, 02:09:54 PM
Janeway > Thatcher
Chakotay > Geoffrey Howe
Tuvok > Ken Livingstone
Neelix > Denis Healey
The Doctor > Neil Kinnock
Paris > David Owen
Kim > David Steel
Seven > Princess Di
Kes > Shirley Williams
B'Ellana > Pamella Bordes
Lon Suder > Tebbit
Seska > Edwina Curry
Q > Arthur Scargill

But as Spitting Image Puppets.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Love it, but would have Heseltine as Q.

Sherringford Hovis

Ambient Sheep

Why would you want to watch Voyager, rather than TNG, DS9 or TOS?

But yeah, I tend to avoid the news more than I used to, I do find I'm happier that way.

imitationleather

I really feel like I could do with a Berlin booze, coke and Xanax minibreak.

Buelligan

OPEN YOUR EYES, OPEN YOUR EARS  Stop making excuses.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: imitationleather on December 06, 2019, 03:39:06 PM
I really feel like I could do with a Berlin booze, coke and Xanax minibreak.

I can help with the booze, if you want.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Space ghost on December 05, 2019, 11:34:00 PM
Best thing to do is stop looking at social media. You can apply this advice to nearly any situation.

I was going to start a thread about giving up looking at the Guardian online. I sponsor them for a few quid a year because of the Snowden scoop etc but it aint half depressing to view it daily. Did you know car exhaust fumes are killing you?

Two weeks later.

Oh by the way the car fumes are even more bad than we said before. Trump this Boris that.

Just stop reading it. Daffodils and badgers don't have the world on their shoulders, do they?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Yeah, but daffodils are fucking stupid.

Twit 2

Fuck me. A new low.

imitationleather

Quote from: Twit 2 on December 06, 2019, 04:56:47 PM
Fuck me. A new low.

I know. 2005 called, it wants it's hot take back.

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: Flouncer on December 06, 2019, 01:42:31 PM
I'm disabled and reliant on benefits. They've already put me through hell and made my problems worse. There are hundreds of thousands of people like me; some of us have died in the coalition years as a direct result of austerity. Boris and his pals are going to make the last ten years look like a fucking tea party if they get a majority. Get fucked you rotten cunt - contextualise that.

+1

Replies From View

Sorry mate but you are more than a bit thick and you are also a nasty piece of shit.  So sorry about that.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 06, 2019, 04:07:05 PM
Yeah, but daffodils are fucking stupid.

Ahhh. Consider the lily of the field. Aahhh.

Bronzy

Sony Walkman Prophecies

calm down. No one is attacking anyone on ESA. The OP was catastrophising.The things he is despairing about could apply to pretty much any time in living memory. Society is always under threat. Sometimes it's even threatened by full-scale war - an event which would send most of you into a coma before a single shot was fired.

But yeah, if you want to decontextualise your situation and engage in the narcissistic-play of pretending you live in the worst of all possible worlds, be my guest. By all means throw your toys about and shriek "cunt" at anyone who dares to offer a dash of global and historical perspective. Every man is entitled to their misery, and going by the infantile way some of you carry on, I dare say you deserve it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on December 06, 2019, 10:14:39 PM
calm down. No one is attacking anyone on ESA. The OP was catastrophising.The things he is despairing about could apply to pretty much any time in living memory. Society is always under threat. Sometimes it's even threatened by full-scale war - an event which would send most of you into a coma before a single shot was fired.

But yeah, if you want to decontextualise your situation and engage in the narcissistic-play of pretending you live in the worst of all possible worlds, be my guest. By all means throw your toys about and shriek "cunt" at anyone who dares to offer a dash of global and historical perspective. Every man is entitled to their misery, and going by the infantile way some of you carry on, I dare say you deserve it.

I don't know - maybe try becoming more politically aware, with the ultimate aim of understanding that people are not 'catastrophising' when they observe what Boris Johnson's Tories will do if they can form a government in a week's time.  Honestly if you can do this then there's some hope that other potential Tory voters might get around to doing it too, and then not vote Tory.

What was your 'dash of global and historical perspective', by the way?  Didn't you just jump in with a stupid remark?

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Oh I see. *Now* you want to be reasonable and have a conversation. I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. Have a wonderful life.

Zetetic

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on December 06, 2019, 10:27:59 PM
Oh I see. *Now* you want to be reasonable and have a conversation. I'm afraid it doesn't work like that.
You'd be a lot more grateful for the offer if you were being herded into a gas chamber. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Replies From View

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on December 06, 2019, 10:27:59 PM
Oh I see. *Now* you want to be reasonable and have a conversation. I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. Have a wonderful life.

I have been plenty patient with you over the years, as have others.  Sometimes it's necessary to plainly call a cunt a cunt, and you know this election is particularly heated so emotions are bound to run high.  You don't get to claim the high moral ground to dodge responsibility for shit-posting.  Let's not pretend this particular interaction has sprung from nowhere, and let's not pretend that Boris Johnson is harmless.  If you want anyone with brains to give him the benefit of the doubt you have a tad more context to give sunshine.