Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Treehouse with Danny Baker

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, December 08, 2019, 02:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fans of disgraced racist The Bake will probably be aware of this already, but he's recently launched a new podcast.

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/fxsfn-a7c0d/The-Treehouse-Podcast

It's really just a continuation of his BBC 5 Live show, the great Louise 'Peps' Pepper and all. It's lovely, two episodes per week of the usual DB nonsense. Years of podcasting fun are hopefully spread before us like a great shoe with its lights on (Dan having presumably learned his lesson from the All Day Breakfast Show debacle).

There's a lovely story in episode 4 from the son of an actor who worked as an extra on the film version of Little Shop of Horrors. Not the sort of thing you'll hear anywhere else. Pop culture minutiae writ gloriously large.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 08, 2019, 03:57:35 AM
There's a lovely story in episode 4 from the son of an actor who worked as an extra on the film version of Little Shop of Horrors. Not the sort of thing you'll hear anywhere else.

Actually, there's a podcast called I Was There Too devoted to this kind of thing.

Ta, I'll check it out. I love stories like that.

Old Thrashbarg

Enjoying these enormously so far. Not sure it will hit the heights of the ADBS without Amy, Baylen and Kuo, but the stories he manages to prompt from the listeners will never be anything other than joyous.

Phil_A

It's great to have him back again, it's a bit of a pain they can't licence any songs though. Kwo was bought up recently which makes me hopeful they might drag him in again at some point.

When he mentioned potentially bringing back the sausage sandwich game I groaned internally, as that grew to be my least favourite part of the R5 shows, no idea how that would even work in the shortened podcast format in any case

DrGreggles

I often think about David Kwo.
Usually when I'm sat on the floor, playing my harmonica while the missus does the ironing...

Louise Pepper is a great sidekick, she really 'gets it', but it would be wonderful if Kuo turned up as a guest at some point. He must have, what, at least eight years of ridiculous anecdotes to share?

Same goes for Amy and Baylen, their warm rapport with The Candyman is one of life's rare pleasures.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 13, 2019, 12:40:23 PM
it would be wonderful if Kuo turned up as a guest at some point. He must have, what, at least eight years of ridiculous anecdotes to share?

Twelve!
The ADBS was in 2007.

Phil_A

Kuo was with the Afternoon Retreat show till that ended in 2012, so it's more like seven years

beanheadmcginty

Jesus Christ, anybody hear the David Bowie watermelon story in the latest one? Interminable. In future I think Baker needs to just pretend there's an upcoming news bulletin so he can cut callers off.

kalowski

I did enjoy "I am a stolen parrot! Dial 999."

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 18, 2019, 09:59:36 PM
Jesus Christ, anybody hear the David Bowie watermelon story in the latest one? Interminable. In future I think Baker needs to just pretend there's an upcoming news bulletin so he can cut callers off.

Dan had to do so much heavy lifting there, but his digressions just about made it work.

Winston Churchill doing The Ballad of John & Yoko was superb. I hope this becomes a thing from now on.

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 13, 2019, 11:55:00 AM
I often think about David Kwo.
Usually when I'm sat on the floor, playing my harmonica while the missus does the ironing...

I often think about David Kuo too, and the thought never fails to make me smile. He was Danny's Karl Pilkington in a way, an endearingly strange man with a never-ending font of absurd anecdotes.

I don't even care that he's a massive capitalist who probably thinks it makes financial sense to privatise everything, that's how likeable he is.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 22, 2019, 10:39:18 AM
Winston Churchill doing The Ballad of John & Yoko was superb. I hope this becomes a thing from now on.

+ Max Bygraves! Alec Guinness doing the same would be awesome.

Coffee on keyboard at "Fred and Rose West tapes."

The latest Baker and Lineker is also a gem:

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-4unfi-76846b8?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

kalowski

Good to hear my Brian Glover story in the latest episode (Dot Dash Dot Dash)

David Kwo got a mention in the latest episode.  Sounds like Danny's planning on getting him in at some point in the future.

"Good Morning Candyman!".

easytarget

Quote from: kalowski on January 09, 2020, 05:52:09 PM
Good to hear my Brian Glover story in the latest episode (Dot Dash Dot Dash)
Nice work, I enjoyed that.

Old Thrashbarg

Has anyone a) kept up with these and b) subscribed to the Patreon?

Up until the free shows finished last week it maintained a pretty high standard, largely driven by the quality of the correspondence. Though I did find that I started listening to it more as something in the background whilst doing something else, drifting in and out of concentration on the show, rewinding if there was a lot of laughter following a bit I missed.

It'll almost certainly be worth the £6/£8 a month for the shows alone, but I am a bit hesitant to subscribe. My worry is it moves towards the model of the Baker and Kelly podcast that was on Wippit at the same time as the ADBS, with half of each show given over listing the various things the listeners have claimed ownership of.

Just to echo Old Thrasbarg's post of a year ago, does anyone still keep up with these since the paywall? Just checking up I see he's managed to keep it going for 168 episodes, so it must be getting some subs. Just wondering if anyone's paid up and considers it worth their money, e.g. did David Kuo ever turn up?

Uncle TechTip

No idea on that but it was disappointing when the Lineker & Baker podcast just stopped after All That Business, were there ever plans to start again? They were planning live shows which I'm sure was abandoned, but I was hoping the podcast could return after the heat died down. Some great stories often from Lineker on this.

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 08, 2021, 01:46:22 PM
No idea on that but it was disappointing when the Lineker & Baker podcast just stopped after All That Business, were there ever plans to start again? They were planning live shows which I'm sure was abandoned, but I was hoping the podcast could return after the heat died down. Some great stories often from Lineker on this.

Lineker & Baker returned a few months after Baker's BBC sacking. But it stopped again at the start of the pandemic and hasn't been seen since.

Ham Bap

Earning at least 10k a month: https://www.patreon.com/dannybaker
I know there will be costs and its not all going to Danny, but thats a good Patreon income.

Have thought about subscribing to this too at one time. Hundreds of hours of entertainment there. Might be worth a go.

shiftwork2

I did it for a bit but then realised I didn't miss the Saturday morning shows enough to justify £80 per year.  It's very sad looking at his limited reach there regardless of the comfortable income (and he's famously never saved a penny so needs it).

Danny gorn.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on September 08, 2021, 12:51:07 PM
did David Kuo ever turn up?

There is a treat for the golden leaves on there today.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 09, 2021, 12:35:16 PM
There is a treat for the golden leaves on there today.

Just watched the video, and cheered as if it were Bryan Danielson turning up on Sunday night at the wrestling[nb]ie a lot[/nb]!