Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Art Banana

Started by Head Gardener, December 08, 2019, 01:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 08, 2019, 02:30:05 PM
what kinda proof doth thou need squire? verily tis my LP fruit + kitchen!

It's 'dost thou', you twit.  Now go and write that out five hundred times.  And no copy'n'pasting.  We'll know if you do.

Ray Travez

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 09, 2019, 12:18:51 AM
imagine the fuss if he ate the Mona Lisa

Now that would be worth seeing. I'd definitely go to the Louvre to see some prick try to eat the Mona Lisa. Or Guernica. Or a few Rothko's, I've never liked them.

idunnosomename

I like Guernica and Rothkos, but I couldn't physically consume one because they are very large canvases

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ray Travez on December 09, 2019, 12:38:38 AM
Or a few Rothko's, I've never liked them.

How do you know if you've never tasted them?

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 09, 2019, 12:05:25 AM
I know this definition itself is subjective but isn't art, at it's most fundamental level, just the production of "stuff" that can engage people; without an audience art is just a thing (literally or conceptually).

We are on a comedy website and the arguments about whether laughing is as valid a human response to things than so-called high-art, but the history for fine art is full of examples of works that are fun, or even funny. I think this banana-tape stuff is very funny and fun so it is doing its job for me. The fact the gallery dealt with it correctly by taping another banana to the wall is part of the fun. It's reminded the public that conceptual art is based on concepts. Hardly mind-bending but a amusing and very concise example of it in its purest form.

If there is one issue, its that the elitism of works like this is that there seems to a branch of conceptual art that seeks to only consider the question of "what is art?" - purely naval gazing without any attempt to address any other broader concepts. Moreover, they rarely lead to any greater understanding,  less resolution of the question, but for the literal thousands of pieces that play with this concept this is at least entertaining.

In summary, I approve.

Did you laugh when you read the story? I guess that's the only apposite question if art is going to be a practical joke. Because if a practical joke (which I personally play on people all the time) becomes another mirthless "ah yes, I see what they did there" nod to self, then humour itself becomes just another concept divorced from the senses, and you start to wonder - why am I wasting my time with this when Blackadder's on TV?

Ray Travez

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 09, 2019, 01:00:43 AM
How do you know if you've never tasted them?

You've got me there. Might try a print for a starter.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 08, 2019, 08:29:08 PM
A certificate with 'verily tis my LP fruit + kitchen!' and your signature, of course.

Blue Jam

Icehaven

If this is indeed the latest stunt in a pattern of pre-arranged headline grabbing perils to befall his art (first the golden bog was nicked, now someone's eaten his latest masterpiece), I'm happy to offer my services as the next 'culprit'. Perhaps he could skywrite his bank details over my house and I'll set up a transfer and ring the papers.

Cuellar

People like to point at these things and decry all 'modern art' and so on, with people spending huge sums on a load of shit but I bet even in the days of good representational art where things LOOKED like what they're meant to look like, the ultra-wealthy were conned into buying complete trash just because it was fashionable.

Blue Jam

This is just a lo-fi ripoff of the Banksy that shredded itself. The art banana could at least have blended itself into a smoothie.

Icehaven

It's not his actual work I'd particularly comment on but the fact things keep happening to it, it'd be the same thing if some figurative painter kept getting his canvasses slashed by mysterious performance artists. I was being facetious before but I've seen a lot of conceptual/'modern' art that I've enjoyed and understood, and I've never thought something was rubbish just because anyone could, in the literal sense, do it (the point is they didn't, the artist did.) Yet this is the second time in a few months I've seen this guy's name in the news, when as others have pointed out the only way most artists manage that is by dying. It seems he's observed how even someone as high profile as Banksy gets the most attention when his work is accidentally painted over, stolen, sold off so a building is left with a hole in the wall or deliberately shredded as a further piece.

idunnosomename

Paul Simon announces new touring partner

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Andy Warhol ripped me off!

Icehaven

Quote from: icehaven on December 09, 2019, 01:32:52 PM
It seems he's observed how even someone as high profile as Banksy gets the most attention when his work is accidentally painted over, stolen, sold off so a building is left with a hole in the wall or deliberately shredded as a further piece.

And the very same day this happened:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/i-dont-regret-it-man-17393715

A Banksy appeared on a wall in Birmingham and someone immediately vandalised* it. Where was Cattelan on Monday afternoon hmmm?

*Added red noses, which actually looks alright.

garbed_attic

I think there should be more modern art ghost trains. This is partly because I can't ask anyone for tickets for "YOU ME BUM BUM TRAIN" without feeling a bit sick.

The Bumlord

Head Gardener

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Head Gardener

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 14, 2019, 10:19:15 AM

Is it the banana saying that?

no it was a rubbish record sleeve tribute

Head Gardener

I must confess I have been getting more into this album recently

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 14, 2019, 10:23:49 AM
no it was a rubbish record sleeve tribute

Ripping the banana off instead of removing it carefully appears to have caused swelling.

flotemysost

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 09, 2019, 12:05:25 AM
but the history for fine art is full of examples of works that are fun, or even funny.

Totally. This little lad from Boticelli's Venus and Mars cracks me right up

Quote from: icehaven on December 11, 2019, 04:32:12 PM
And the very same day this happened:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/i-dont-regret-it-man-17393715

A Banksy appeared on a wall in Birmingham and someone immediately vandalised* it. Where was Cattelan on Monday afternoon hmmm?

*Added red noses, which actually looks alright.

Good on the guy that added the noses, graffiti being painted over by other artists is part of the tradition.

Glebe

Johnny Yesno

Head Gardener