Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:26:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Should thick People Be Allowed To Vote?

Started by SteK, December 08, 2019, 02:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well?  Should they?

Yes
3 (8.6%)
No
12 (34.3%)
I don't understand the question
10 (28.6%)
Mole Rat
10 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

SteK

To drive a car, you have to receive instruction and pass a test.

Should it be same for voting, just like you ought to have a basic grasp of Latin to work in Currys, you ought to have a basic grasp or Keynesisam, Marxism, Trotskiyism, political ideology and what happens if you just eat crisps.

Discuss?

Seriously though, why is anyone voting Tory? Mad!

imitationleather

SpiderChrist

Quote from: SteK on December 08, 2019, 02:38:25 PM

Should it be same for voting, just like you ought to have a basic grasp of Latin to work in Currys, you ought to have a basic grasp or Keynesisam, Marxism, Trotskiyism, political ideology and what happens if you just eat crisps.

Discuss?

Universal suffrage isn't for everyone. If only you had applied the same logic to starting a thread here.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Political theories should be taught in school but I have a feeling they aren't because it would be prone to abuse by partisan teachers.

Obviously you shouldn't have to pass a test to be able to vote. The whole idea stinks, it implies working class people can't be trusted.

Kids should be far more involved in community activities from an early age so they can develop more empathy for those less fortunate and even if that doesn't happen, at least gain experience of those other than themselves.

If you can solve or at least mitigate for a right wing dominated media and a human brain inclined to react to fear above anything else, that will make the biggest di3.

NoSleep

Quote from: SteK on December 08, 2019, 02:38:25 PM

Discuss?

Why do you think they have made further education so expensive and run down the schools? And why the establishment is so scared of a Corbyn government.

But requiring a qualification to vote could lead to yourself not being able to vote if somebody else decides you haven't got it yet.

Dr Rock

Under my system, everyone would get one vote. But those who have proven to be more knowledgable about politics - there could be tests everyone could take - get more votes per person. If you're actively involved in politics, teach politics, or have degrees or qualifications or jobs that show above average knowledge of politics or relevant areas - and this would include
anyone from Laura Kuenssberg to Stewart Lee (because he writes political pieces for a national newspaper) would get maybe five to ten extra votes.  I'd even consider giving more votes to those who displayed they were nice and kind, by some criteria I haven't worked out yet, could get extra votes. Ignorant, selfish cunts can have just one vote, and consider themselves lucky.

Clearly my system is fair and would lead to a better society.

SteK

We can't have grannies voting for X cos he wears a nice tie can we?

TBH I prefer it if we had no voting at all, treat UK as UK plc which it is, run it like a business which it is, let them do what they want which they do anyway.

Serfdom, it's the future....

touchingcloth

I think everyone should be allowed to cast a vote, but answer some multiple choice questions about the manifesto and history of the party they are voting for at the same time with your vote being weighted by your multiple choice score.

E.g. you cast a vote for the Brexit party and the question is "is it possible to become a member of the Brexit Party?" with options of "yes" and "no" and your answer is to scrawl GET IT DONE on the paper, then your vote counts for 1% of a full vote.

There shouldn't be such a thing as a spoiled slip. If enough people daub the exact same thing on a slip it should be enacted exactly into policy or death to the PM.

Not sure how this will work when people draw cocks on the slip as my mate did in 2015, but we can iron this out with pilots in local elections and/or in places that no one cares about.

bgmnts

If we use this logic, I don't really think anyone should be allowed to vote, none of us really knows what is happening or what is best.

Except for imitationleather

imitationleather

greenman

..and he should only be allowed to vote for Chelmsworth pigeon fanciers alliance.

The most obvious answer would be a hell of a lot more political TV on the BBC but that would be much more rigorous safeguards against bias than currently exist.

Pranet

Everyone can vote but they have to face the consequences of their vote. Voted for Brexit? Back of queue for gruel. Voted tory? Then it will be a trolley in a hospital corridor for you.

H-O-W-L

I'm normally the first person to kick someone's shins out for tolerating intolerance but I really think being picky over who gets to vote is a stupid and shit resolution to the problems with the system. Easy, cunt's way out.

imitationleather

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 08, 2019, 04:26:08 PM
I'm normally the first person to kick someone's shins out for tolerating intolerance but I really think being picky over who gets to vote is a stupid and shit resolution to the problems with the system. Easy, cunt's way out.

BUT IT MAKES US FEEL GOOD ABOUT OURSELVES BECAUSE IT OBVIOUSLY IMPLIES THAT WE ARE ABOVE THE "TOO STUPID" THRESHOLD

Fambo Number Mive

If only certain groups of people were allowed to vote, most politicans would only care about what those groups of people think about their policies. Everyone should be allowed to vote.

I understand some people choose the party they vote for for silly reasons but I think the current system is the least worst option.

Sin Agog

Banning any news conveyed on anything other than a toilet cubicle is a much surer way of sorting out this country's problems.  And Lord Rotherdoch's not allowed to install little flatscreens in them, either.  Permanent markers, biros, effluvia, fine.  I've read enough Philip K Dick to pre-empt those kinda tricks.

Fambo Number Mive

Perhaps if politics evening classes were offered free for all adults this might help. Although of course they'd need to make sure the provider was not involved in any way with any political party.

Dr Rock

Thick people wouldn't attend them because they don't know they're thick and ignorant.

Pranet

Even if they wanted to attend them they'd probably get lost on the way to the class or turn up on the wrong day.

Fambo Number Mive

Have the classes on five days a week and all over the country to reduce the risk of people getting the wrong day or location. Offer free biscuits to entice people in (not saying people are thick for liking free biscuits, we all like free biscuits)

Also offer online classes and talks.

Perhaps have political information in between episodes of popular soaps. Again, not saying people are thick for watching soaps, they aren't, its just most people watch soaps including thick people.

greenman

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 08, 2019, 04:39:30 PM
Thick people wouldn't attend them because they don't know they're thick and ignorant.

Really that's been the main shift in the media over the past 30-40 years I'd say, instead of deference to authority pushing egotism.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: bgmnts on December 08, 2019, 04:49:31 PM
Custard creams or bourbons?

A variety, and we'd need to cater for people with allergies (so no biscuits with nuts, and some gluten-free biscuits if there is gluten in biscuits)

Fambo Number Mive

Also some tea, coffee, orange juice and water

I reckon they should only give the vote to people who have been clever and hard working enough to have gone to private school.

H-O-W-L

No "Raol Moat" option. Thread is shit. Close it.

NoSleep

What if you could get all the thick people to do your bidding? With a snappy catchphrase.

Pijlstaart

Would prefer a premium bonds style voting system, where your vote might be worth nothing and for a randomly-allocated few their vote is worth loads. Let the universe decide. That's what I want, you might get lucky, you never know. At the end of the day, everything happens for a reason. At the end of the day.